Binocular Tripod Adapter

OBP

WKR
I'm looking for a good adapter to attach my leica ultravids. I'm looking at the outdoorsman's, does anyone have any experience with it, or have any recommendations for any others?

Gman

WKR
That's what I used on my ultravids. They have a little post adapter that goes on the bridge of the binos. You'll need to pry the plastic cap off the bridge which is scary but is okay. Then attach the little post adapter and you're good to go.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have been using the vortex uni-dapter, and really like it. It is also quite reasonably priced. i especially like how you can use the Allen wrench to really lock it down.

Gman

WKR
The problem with the Uni-dapter specific to the Ultravids is that the Ultravids don't have a threaded bridge. Outdoorsman's has a specific post adapter that is held onto the binos via small allen screws, at the bridge hinge. The nice advantage of the Outdoorsmans as well is that once you install the bridge adapter you just leave it on and then getting into the tripod adapter piece is a quick-release fitting which works very well.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Gman,

For some reason I thought the newest ultravids had a 1/4 threaded bridge socket. It is unfortunate they don't, but I see what your saying about the outdoorsmans setup. Looks like a slick setup.

Gman

WKR
If I recall correctly it doesn't so much unscrew as you have to pry it off. Underneath are no real threads. Just a post that the adapter slips over and then is held together by 3 small allen screws (think a christmas tree stand). This may have changed from the Ultravid to the Ultravid HD? I just saw this on the link you posted under the adapter for the Ultravids:

"**NOTE: At the current time, Leica has changed the measurement of the part that this adapter fits on and right now we can't guarrantee this adapter will fit properly. We are waiting to get an accurate measurement of the new part before we sell anymore of these. Sorry for the inconvenience"

OP
OBP

OBP

WKR
Yeah, that's exactly why I was wondering. I had that Jim White adapter ordered and it was cancelled, they changed sizes and he is waiting for new measurements before he starts selling them again. I'll probably give Outdoorsmans a call and see if theirs is still workikng or if they're having the same issues.

SDHNTR

WKR
I have one for my Ultravids and I believe the Outdoorsmans gets theirs from Jim White. Same thing if you order it directly from him. BTW, it's awesome!

Straight6

FNG
I also use the outdoorsmans adapter. I think its the best adapter on the market. Pry off the plastic cover and put the adapter on. Can't ever go wrong with anything from outdoorsmans.

OP
OBP

OBP

WKR
Got my Outdoorsman's adapter in the mail yesterday, very slick piece of gear. You're right Gman, that's an uncomfortable feeling for sure prying the cap off the end of the bridge. Haha. I played around with it a while this afternoon, seems like such a basic piece of gear to get fired up about but it is really slick and makes glassing with the binos way more stable than i was expecting it too.