Binocular Tripod Mount

Matt G.

WKR
is outdoorsman the only one that uses a stud for tripod mount? thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yes. They’re a solid option for their price IMO, and what I currently use. The issue with them seems to be that the tolerances aren’t super tight (which keeps their price down) leading to people having different experiences. Some people get ones that have a little looseness and will wiggle around on them, some people get ones that are tight and super sturdy. I’ve had 2 different ones and the first was a touch loose and the second is perfect and as sturdy as could be.

If you’re not stretching to purchase one I think the Outdoosmans is a safer bet but you might end up with a tight FOR one and be happy like me.

I also have experience with both. I would base your decision on the quality/power of optic you are using them with to dictate what makes sense. I purchased the Outdoorsmans adaptor for my Swarovski 15x56 SLC HD’s (I also plan on having them drill my 8x32 EL’s). Due to quality AND power I didn’t want any movement in the adaptor to not allow me to take advantages of both of these things. My 14 year old son has Vortex Viper HD 8.5x42’s and we went with the Field Optics Research for his as some movement with the Viper’s and the lower power is not as big of a deal breaker.

Hope this helps!
Steve

amp713

WKR
FOR is doing a second gen that is supposed to be better, mine is pre ordered

pirogue

WKR
The FOR looks to have a better ergomical design than the Outdoorsman, by having a slanted vertical post. This helps position the center of binos more directly over the center of tripod, which reduces the radius and circumference of the outer(eyepiece end) panning circle. Obviously, this relates to less head, neck, and upper body movement to pan the same depth of field than the Outdoorsman design.

I made one that I used this year and liked it. I haven't used any of the others so I don't know what to compare it to but it was solid for me. I'd like to get your guys feedback so I'll give 2 of these away if you guys give me your feedback. These were made for function, not looks or feel, and these were used this last year(and show it). They're similar to the outdoorsman in function but would cost much less if I decide to make and sell them. I'll attach some pics to show you guys.
2b39c8e2b7144056d21727ddce688b39.jpg

First 2 to pm me get them.

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
I have used the FOR and the KDC. They are both good options. The KDC is super light weight, and really does a good job. The balancing piece is a great idea, and makes a real difference with heavier binos. If I could change one thing about it it would be the locking mechanism occasionally felt like it loosened up the smallest little bit. Please note that it never came close to my binos tumbling loose or anything serious. It was truly minor, but I just wondered how it could be made to lock down a little tighter.

My FOR bino adaptor is 1st gen, and has some play. But for a quick release model, it is the most affordable one, and does the job.

The most secure bino adaptor I have used cost me $16, and is made by/for Vanguard. It is heavy, and no quick release. But it locks binos in VERY secure. It is probably too wide for 50mm binos, if you have narrow IPD.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I made one that I used this year and liked it. I haven't used any of the others so I don't know what to compare it to but it was solid for me. I'd like to get your guys feedback so I'll give 2 of these away if you guys give me your feedback. These were made for function, not looks or feel, and these were used this last year(and show it). They're similar to the outdoorsman in function but would cost much less if I decide to make and sell them. I'll attach some pics to show you guys.
2b39c8e2b7144056d21727ddce688b39.jpg

First 2 to pm me get them.

PM Sent

Last edited:
OP
Matt G.

Matt G.

WKR
So i purchased the Gen 2 FOR binocular mount. I received two days ago and they seem really solid. The one i received is very tight with no play... i guess we will see how it does over time. Thanks for all the help...