Binocular upgrade

vermeire

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the market for a new pair of binoculars. I've been using an almost 20 year old pair of Pentax UCF 8x24s. (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000067O8D/ref=nosim/httpstrateama-20 ) I mainly hunt PA for whitetails but want something with some versatility as in the next 20 years I will have the opportunity to do some western hunts to and include Alaska. I had thought I wanted a pair of 10x42s but am not so sure after reading several (read A LOT ) of threads on here. I know the type of hunting I do is different than most of you but as far as gear knowledge this seems to be the best forum that I frequent. I'm not looking to spend the money for alpha glass. I know I could order a pair of Swaros and be good but it's not in the budget right now. And frankly I'm too cheap to spend that much until I've got a 7 figure net worth. I think I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $230 for my Pentax when I got them. I'm sure similarly priced glass is a little better after this long but I'm still willing to pony up a little more. Here is the list of models I've priced and done a little research on:

10x42 (should I be looking at 8x42????? Lighter/better FOV???)
Maven C1 $280
Leupold BX-2 Alpine $250, Acadia $203, BX-4 $570, used ~$400
Nikon Monarch 5 $267, M7 used ~$400
Vortex Diamondback $229
Sig Zulu5 $489
Zeiss Terra $450
Meopta Meopro $500
Steiner Peregrine $510
Pentax SD $229, ZD 10x43 $479

What prompted me to consider upgrading was I looked at a small buck this year with my binos and couldn't tell if he had a brow tine. I switched to my rifle scope (Leupold VX-III 3.5-10) and the image was vastly superior; I could instantly tell there was no brow tine. I realize the difference in magnification helped a little bit but there was more to it than that. I've realized that while my current binos are ok, they are not great and are probably a little long in the tooth. I have used a lot of Leupold products and think their rifle scopes are a great value (quality vs price). Are their binoculars the same?

I've noticed that I see very little recommendation for Pentax optics on Rokslide; are they no good or just obscure? It also seems that there is a price gap with not as many options in the $4-600 range. It seems every manufacturer has a $250 option and then most jump to $700+. I want to upgrade though so that middle ground was what I was hoping for.

Should I just buy a pair of Maven C1s and not look back until I'm ready for alpha glass?

I know there is some subjectivity when it comes to how binoculars fit a person both physically and optically but I'm just looking for basic opinions and ideas at this point. Thanks.

Last edited:
Maven C1 obvious answer is obvious. There’s not a bino in that range with consistently better reviews. I love mine and feel no need to upgrade to alpha even though I could. I spot so many animals with it the guys I’m with are always surprised. It’s good glass and time in the field that does it, nothing special.

First thing to do is set a hard and fast budget. That will help you limit your choices.

C1's are a solid option, but have a few limitations. I'd recommend 8x42's based on my experience.

Solid mid-tier recommendations are Nikon Monarch 7, Maven C1, Vortex Viper HD and 2nd hand Zeiss Conquests, Meopta Meostar and Nikon HG's.

Rodéo

WKR
I had a pair of 10x42 Maven c.1's and they were great for the price, especially the sale price you can get them for right now. I prefer my current bino's however, tract toric 8x42's, better FOV, much sharper, very little CA, great focus wheel and construction. It's right in the high end of the price point you're looking at but I don't think you can go wrong with either for the type of hunting style you described. Good luck on your search

Edit: Take into account the recs from @Newtosavage, the guy certainly knows what he's talking about when it comes to glass

To answer your question, Pentax still makes some good glass. Trouble with Pentax is that they tend to have a narrower field of view, and are typically heavier than anything else in their price range.

svillalobos

Lil-Rokslider
The Zeiss Terra ED are very very good binos for the money! I Have some experience glassing with those and I was always pleased with them.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I will throw a vote in for a Meopro. I have a review on $1000 binos on here (link below) and they stacked up pretty well at half the cost. Didn’t review the C mavens though. I did have some B2s and B3s. Not saying the meopro was better than the B series but at half the cost I would have bought them if I only had $500 (can find for a tad over $400). My only complaint really was edge to edge clarity. Center was awesome but you lost a bit as you got towards the edge. I suspect if I looked through other $500 units I would have found the same issue.

I will also say at the price you are looking the maven B3 8x30s are pretty awesome and even held up well against the 42s in my low light test. Maybe 3-5min behind. They are 16.5oz too. I’d say perfect for close in eastern/blind hunting.

I have 10x42's and hunt in PA a lot. If I'm hunting a field edge they're great, but in the actual woods they're a bit tricky to use because the field of view is rather small for the thick, brushy woods that seem to dominate PA. If you hunt in the woods I'd recommend 8x42's, if you hunt fields/powerlines go with the 10x42's. Set a budget, and be on the lookout for a used pair of Zeiss, Leica, or Meopta. Time is on your side right now for making this purchase, lots of opportunity to find a great deal.

NoWiser

WKR
I’d go 8X for your purposes and I’d likely be watching for a used pair of Zeiss Conquest HDs. You’ve got plenty of time before next hunting season so there’s no reason you can’t leverage that into getting the most glass for your money. There’s nothing wrong with going used.

gregory r

Lil-Rokslider
There is a 8x42 Tract Toric in the classifieds. I love mine. My opinion is, if you know you are eventually going to upgrade to alpha glass, just go with Diamondbacks or Maven c1 until then.

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
I am similar to you being in PA but hunt mostly field edges but some woods in archery. I have several western and northern Canadian hunts booked and I wanted something newer and lighter than my Zeiss 10x50 or Leica Geovids with rangefinder, both at least 15 years old. I picked up a pair of Vortex Fury 10x42 HD’s and they are really nice. Clear bright glass with built in range finder which I have used this year for archery and rifle here in PA, but mostly bought them for my long range western hunts. I thought I got a deal at $900 but I see AA optics has refurbished at $750. Just thought I’d mention it if you also have a need for a range finder as it’s a great way to consolidate. There was just a review on these on Rokslide; may want to check it out. No need to upgrade to alpha glass with these in my opinion if you can swing the $750. https://www.rokslide.com/vortex-fury-hd-10x42-review/

Last edited:
OP
V

vermeire

Lil-Rokslider
So I completely geeked out on specs tonight. I really appreciate all of the input. I've got a spreadsheet with specifications for about 35 models in it. Right now I think I'm leaning towards staying at an 8x. It just seems that for the majority of my hunting it will be a better choice and may allow me to get a higher quality glass. I've got a 20x Leupold spotter that I normally use at the range that may serve me on a western hunt if I don't have something with a little higher magnification before then. In reality the area I'm likely to hunt is in Alaska and is an any bull unit...

Right now I'm really liking the specs and what I've read about the Nikon Monarch 7s. They happen to fall into what I imagined I'd be paying when I first started thinking about upgrading. I've found myself going back and forth on what I think is reasonable to spend and finally came to the conclusion that I will be looking through the binoculars a lot more than I would a rifle scope and I should probably pay a bit more for them because of that fact. I think my most expensive scope is the VX-III I first mentioned. I do have one VX-II and a VX Compact that may give it a run for the money.

If I had cash now I would seriously consider the Maven B-Series. The free customization would be a deal maker for me. Have they offered this before? If so how often?

I'll try to keep this updated as I move through the process; it may be months until I make a purchase.

Thanks again

Tahoe1305

WKR
I’m not positive they have offered it before but it is a good deal. Since I’ve been following this has been the only time. I ordered these a few weeks back and it saves me $180 I think. No way I would pay 30% premium for custom but sure happy to get it for free.

Attachments

• 70586DF6-F47C-4CC1-A9DF-8C6A60A2BC68.png
    70586DF6-F47C-4CC1-A9DF-8C6A60A2BC68.png
    405.8 KB · Views: 54
OP
V

vermeire

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, that's almost what mine would look like! If they took PayPal Credit I would have caved.

Another question: is relative brightness consistent across different manufacturers?

Found the answer to that one; relative brightness and twilight factor are mostly meaningless...

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
V

vermeire

Lil-Rokslider
So in typical me fashion I'm now looking seriously at more expensive options. (4 years ago I was looking at $6-8k SUVs and ended up with a $25k truck...) I'm going to save my pennies for a while and I think I can justify making the jump to $1000 range of options. I may pick up a pair of used Monarch 5s to satisfy my immediate gratification needs in the short term. If I'm not ready to make a long term purchase I'm going to need a third set of binos for next hunting season as it is.

Do the Maven B-Series fare as well in their price class as the C-Series? I'm a sucker for being able to customize stuff to my liking. I think my time buying semi-custom knives has gotten me used to being able to specify how something looks. If the glass in the B-Series isn't up to snuff I'll certainly steer clear and end up with something like Conquests or HGs.

Thanks again for all the input. Off to read Maven reviews...

Last edited:

Tahoe1305

WKR
Depends what you are referring to. The B1, B2, or B3 series?

I compared the B2s and B3s to conquests HDs and Nikon HGs and thought they were comparable. The B2s are massive though and half a lb heavier than the conquests and 2/3lb heavier than the HGs. The B3s are 30mm binos so half the weight as the B2s. They also cost half as much at $500.

if I were you based on what you described and liking custom I would pull the trigger on some B3s and camo them out and still be close to your original budget.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’d go 8X for your purposes and I’d likely be watching for a used pair of Zeiss Conquest HDs. You’ve got plenty of time before next hunting season so there’s no reason you can’t leverage that into getting the most glass for your money. There’s nothing wrong with going used.

zeias conquest HD 8x42s are awesome. I got mine used here on rokslide last summer and they have pretty much replaced all my other sets of binos.

OP
V

vermeire

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I should have been a little more specific. The Mavens I'd most likely consider would be the B1 followed (not closely) by the B3; both in 8x. The B2s look interesting but the weight penalty is too much. I need to weigh my current Pentax and get an accurate weight to compare against.