Binocular upgrade

Tahoe1305

WKR
zeias conquest HD 8x42s are awesome. I got mine used here on rokslide last summer and they have pretty much replaced all my other sets of binos.
Question for the conquest folks. I restored some 10x42s and noticed the center range of focus was extremely loose and the edges of the focus wheel range tighter. I thought it was kinda hard to get the objects in the center focus range clear quickly because of this. I’ve read a few others mention issues with the focus wheel. You guys notice that by chance?

I've owned three pairs of Conquest HD's and I've never noticed the focus wheel tension changing through the range like that. The focus wheels on Conquests are much lighter to turn than most people are used to. And they are fast. Personally, I liked that. A lot of people don't like it. That said, the focus wheels on every Conquest HD I've owned have been vastly superior to the focus wheels on both pairs of SLC's I've owned, and every pair I've borrowed to look through. The focus wheel on the SLC is borderline unacceptable to me with its chalky start-and-stop feeling. Conquest HD's have been extremely smooth, but fast and light.

Ironically, the best focus wheels I've used were on fairly inexpensive binoculars - the Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32 and the Bushnell Legend (original) 8x32. They are fantastic. But the word on the bird forums is that the best focus wheels in the business are made by Nikon. I owned a pair of LX-L's for a while and I can't disagree with that.

NoWiser

WKR
The focus wheel on my Conquest HDs was what I’d consider nearly perfect. I have SLCs right now and, though I like them more overall, the focus wheel just plain sucks compared to the Zeiss. I could have used the Conquests the rest of my life and not felt like I was lacking, but I didn’t like 10x and as long as I was moving to 8x I wanted to step up a notch in glass quality, which the SLCs were for my eyes.

Bcowette

FNG
I've felt SLC'S with what I would call grainy focus wheels. My pair of 8x42's have a buttery smooth focus wheel that's really nice. I think the grease less design can cause the grainy feel.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Can’t comment on the B1s.... also apologize for jacking thread with conquest question. Back to answering OP question people (thanks for responses though).

I personally haven’t read much on the B1s either. Most people just swear by the B2s. $15 you can have a two week demo. I think it’s a pretty solid way to evaluate binos. I did it with the B3s and B2s. You could check out a couple then it’s a simple send back and refund. Worked seamlessly.

OP
V

vermeire

Lil-Rokslider
I don't mind the hijack...

Yeah, I read up on their demo program. Unless I rule them out before I'll probably use it. There aren't a lot of reviews that I was able to find. One site ( Audobon maybe) scored them better than all but one of the binos in their $1-2k price range.

Has anybody ever used anything from Upland Optics? They appear to be a small Idaho based company.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

OP
V

vermeire

Lil-Rokslider
not sure why you didn't throw in meostars, you can typically find them for sale this time of year for

Well my original list wasn't getting into their retail price. They will certainly be a model that is looked at as I move forward.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Currently running Zeiss Victory SF 10x42s as my main binos and have own(ed) a number of alpha binos from big 3.

$1k is a good pricepoint for finding a quality glass - eyes will thank us for a richer/sharper image, FOV, depth of field, and less CA. Have experience with a few already mentioned. Bought a Maven B2 9x45 at an SCI Fundraiser, very good optics but a bit bulky/heavy. The Meopta Meostar’s are a great option, proven in the field. But my personal favorite are the Nikon Monarch HG 10x42s for all of the reasons covered in the Rokslide review (link attached). Compared them to my Mavens and the Nikons were simply a better glass — certain I’ll be buying a pair sometime this year. (Note: HG stands for High Grade and they are in a class above the Monarch 5s/7s)

agardner00

Lil-Rokslider
I use 10x42s for everything, even the thick stuff. I’ve had great luck with Vortex and Zeiss—haven’t used anything else. If you’re interested I have a pair of Zeiss Terra HD 10x42s BNIB I’m thinking about selling.
4ab0ea51c096bfc3c5ca60da3e18dfc1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
V

vermeire

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up with a BX-4 10x42. Found an open box in the discontinued First Light camo and paid just under $400. Only looking I've done so far was from the front porch. I think if there wasn't a good chance of me hunting outside of PA I would have stayed at 8x and actually gone with 8x32s just to save some weight. I tried a bunch of different binos at the NRA outdoor show in Harrisburg and these seemed like a sweet spot for performance and price. Once I get some time in the woods with them I'll provide some feedback.

Wanted to say thanks again for everyone who contributed to the discussion here.