Binoculars in the ~ 200 dollar price range

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m trying to help a kid get set up for some hunting, he dosen’t have much help from his family but he’s done some grunt work for me, I thought I’d show my appreciation and get him a pair of binos.

Is there anything that stands out in the 200ish dollar price range? Athlon maybe or something?

Any advice is appreciated.

has530

Lil-Rokslider
You could probably snag a last gen Athlon Midas for about that which is pretty good glass for the money. Midway USA has sig ZULU 5's on sale for ~$250 right now. I haven't ever looked through these but they are positively reviewed on this sight and sig has a no fault warranty just like vortex and better glass in my experience. Then there is also sightron blue sky's and all of the clones (sig zulu3, fuji kf, pentax AD...) which are all standouts around this price point.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thanks for the suggestions so far, I’ll look at all of those. I saw the sigs on sale at midway. Those are probably worth a further look.

Any advice is still appreciated.

Bater

WKR
I’d go with 10x42 Vortex Diamondbacks, check eBay and you’ll find them well under $200 new to your door

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it would be our pleasure to discuss this with you and help figure out which would suit your intended use the best. If you've got a few minutes give us a call, 516-217-1000
Thanks

jony770

FNG
Can vouch for the vortex diamondback's as well. I've had them for a few years and for their price range I think they're tough to beat. Plus that warranty is killer.

Bushnell Engage 10x42 has some great reviews on this site for punching above their weight class.

Hoodie

WKR
The Sightrons are amazing for the money. Their center resolution is as good as anything I´ve used costing 4x as much. Very large sweet spot too.

That said, they don´t have a tripod mount.

The Styrka S7 8x30 does. It´s basically a Nikon Monarch 7 clone. It´s every bit as sharp as the Sightron, brighter because it has dielectric coatings, and it´s currently on Amazon for $250. They used to sell in the $500-600 range.

Probably the best bang for buck you can get right now in an 8x30.

Nethero

WKR
The Sightrons are amazing for the money. Their center resolution is as good as anything I´ve used costing 4x as much. Very large sweet spot too.

That said, they don´t have a tripod mount.

The Styrka S7 8x30 does. It´s basically a Nikon Monarch 7 clone. It´s every bit as sharp as the Sightron, brighter because it has dielectric coatings, and it´s currently on Amazon for $250. They used to sell in the $500-600 range.

Probably the best bang for buck you can get right now in an 8x30.
Unfortunately Styrka went out of business. This is why all of their stuff is on close out. It does not have any further warranty support. HERE is their website saying as much.

Sightron or nikon hard to beat on that price range. Just was thinking though - if you had an old pair to give him, might mean something to him? Or not.... just a thought. Good on ya either way

gburk

WKR
Secondhand low/mid range nikons are dirt cheap and better than diamondbacks in my experience. The diamondbacks my son has are non-hd however so they may be better nowadays.
Nice of ya.

slatty

WKR
The hawke endurance binos are another good option, my wife has the 8x32s (I bought them from Doug @ CameralandNY who posted above).
Nikon makes very high quality higher end glass, and the mid range stuff is really good as well, but out of the price range you listed.