Binoculars or rangefinding binoculars for elk?

I am planning a trip to Colorado next year to hunt elk on private land. I am starting to get all my gear. I'm torn between buying just a set of 10x42 binoculars or buying a set of rangefinding binoculars. I am on a tight budget because of the wife. I have read that something like the vortex fury won't have as good of glass as binoculars in that same price range. Also I'm not sure of how the weight will affect glassing. Any recommendations?

Archery or rifle/muzzle?

Aside with concerns about glass quality, I don’t think rangefinder binos are practical for archery. You need something light, small, and low magnification for quick ranging and tuck it away akd leave hanging. I just can’t think of a way that works with binos. If you leave them hanging, they likely will catch your bow string.

What’s your total budget?

OP
W
I'm planning on Rifle first. I want to be around 1000 dollars for now on optics. I have never been but a buddy who has been said some long shots are possible. I was thinking buy some used 10x42 binos for 700 and then a rangefinder for 300. Or find a used vortex fury for about 1000.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Optical quality of a $1,000.00 binocular will be noticeably superior to a $1,000.00 rangefinder binocular. As a long standing supporting vendor on this forum it would be our pleasure to discuss options and special opportunities with you. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, if you have a few minutes

Archery or rifle/muzzle?

Aside with concerns about glass quality, I don’t think rangefinder binos are practical for archery. You need something light, small, and low magnification for quick ranging and tuck it away akd leave hanging. I just can’t think of a way that works with binos. If you leave them hanging, they likely will catch your bow string.

What’s your total budget?
Out of his budget but i had no issues at all using the new swaro 8x42 rf binos this archery season. I usually have a chance to pre range stuff and can judge 20-30 yard shots well anyway tho

E Butler

Lil-Rokslider
My thought on this is you will always be happy with your binos if you buy good glass because the technology has pretty much stayed about the same over the past ten years. If you buy range finding binos the technology is getting better every year so you might think you have to up grade every couple of years. When they come out with the latest and greatest marketing ploy. It is a lot cheaper buying new rangefinders than bino rangefinders.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
I have some vortex fury hd's (not AB) I would probably be willing to part with. PM me if interested.

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
My two cents after using my Vortex Fury 5000 rangefinder binos for a couple years:
Due to the laser rangefinder being housed in one of the tubes, there is a variance in coatings. Look through the left tube, and it’s clear. Look through the right tube, and there’s a noticeable tint. When I throw them up to my eyes for binocular viewing, I find that my eyes/brain normalize the color view between the tubes…but only for short duration viewing. I have found that the color difference give me headaches for long duration glassing.
That said, I find the convenience and speed of rangefinder binos to be well worth it for rifle hunting. They are also far more powerful of a rangefinder than a handheld monocular unit.
My setup is now Vortex Fury 10x42s on my chest, Maven B5 12x56s in my pack for extended glassing sessions.

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
My two cents after using my Vortex Fury 5000 rangefinder binos for a couple years:
Due to the laser rangefinder being housed in one of the tubes, there is a variance in coatings. Look through the left tube, and it’s clear. Look through the right tube, and there’s a noticeable tint. When I throw them up to my eyes for binocular viewing, I find that my eyes/brain normalize the color view between the tubes…but only for short duration viewing. I have found that the color difference give me headaches for long duration glassing.
That said, I find the convenience and speed of rangefinder binos to be well worth it for rifle hunting. They are also far more powerful of a rangefinder than a handheld monocular unit.
My setup is now Vortex Fury 10x42s on my chest, Maven B5 12x56s in my pack for extended glassing sessions.
How do you like the mavens so far? I’m torn between getting a solid $1000 or so set of binos and using a kilo rangefinder that I have. Or getting rangefinding binos. But have to almost add $1000 to get the same quality glass in a rangefinding bino as apposed to non rangefinding set around $1000

ToolMann

WKR
Went through the same dilema when upgrading some gear. I'm in the separate bino and RF camp. I went with some used Nikon HGs from here and a new Leica RF2400 rangefinder from Doug an Cameraland. I'm in to everything for less than $1,200.