Binoculars vs. Spotting scope

Ramsey445

FNG
I am heading out west in January for my first mule deer hunt wanted to get other people's opinions based on experience if a good 10 x 42 pair of binoculars will get the job done or if a spotting scope is needed

Do you already have the 10x42s? IMO, a pair of 15s is a great choice, especially when paired with a good tripod/head. You can really pick apart a hillside and will cause much less eye strain compared to a spotting scope.

FYT

Lil-Rokslider
There is some pretty robust discussion about this (and other first timer optics questions) on this thread:

A spotting scope is definitely not needed unless you are a trophy hunter trying to score an animal more than a mile away.

It's amazing what you can see through a good pair of 10x42's on a good tripod.

DavePwns

WKR
If you are glassing more than a mile distance you will definitely benefit from a spotter to verify the sex / if the buck is legal. However its very important to get the very best binos you can afford since you will use the binos 80% of the time

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
It really is going to depend on the country you are hunting. If you're never glassing more than a 3/4 - 1 mile then putting your 10x42s up on a tripod will work great but if you need to look further distances you'll want extra power.

It all depends on your area to me and how you glass. If you’re in a thick area and cant really see more than 1/2 mile to a mile then a spotter is pointless. I live in Nevada, and hunt Idaho and Utah. Every area I have been to I have found good places where I can setup and glass for miles, perfect for a spotting scope.

I have found game in each of these long glassing area that only wouldve been found with the spotting scope. Even under a mile a spotting scope is helpful for looking into shadowy areas and looking for something as small as antler tines sticking above some sagebrush.

If you are not looking or cant look long distances a spotter wont help you. If you are not taking the time to glass the shorter range stuff for antler tines sticking up or checking shadows a spotter is not for you.

accurat

FNG
Spring for top tier binos first...Swarovski, Leica, etc. 10x is dandy and will cover 90% of what youll need to do. That said, i just ordered a 40x compact spotter because I like to look further if needed. Ive always thought a 15x bino on a tripod would be pretty handy, but they're usually big and heavy for packing around in typical bino fashion. BUT, if youre not packing them around while on foot, its probably the best middle ground between 10x binos and a spotting scope for high point glassing.

Walking Birds

Lil-Rokslider
Since you're talking muleys in January, I'm assuming you're looking to come to Arizona?

There's 3 types of areas to chase muleys here, you're either A) the timbered country of Northern/Eastern AZ, in which case 8s or 10s will both work B) in the broken country of Central AZ, with its grassed flatlands and lava rocks, and 10s work, or in the Mesquite and Cactus choked flats of the Sonora, in which case 10s will still work.

There are certainly areas where a scope or binos with more X's would be handy, but not necessary.

I carry 10x50s on my chest and 15x56s in my pack and have contemplated adding a scope, but for muleys in particular, I like glassing with the 10s for the added FOV

OP
R

Ramsey445

FNG
Do you already have the 10x42s? IMO, a pair of 15s is a great choice, especially when paired with a good tripod/head. You can really pick apart a hillside and will cause much less eye strain compared to a spotting scope.
Yes, I have the 10x42s already. Use them a lot hunting whitetail out of tree stand.

OP
R

Ramsey445

FNG
Since you're talking muleys in January, I'm assuming you're looking to come to Arizona?

There's 3 types of areas to chase muleys here, you're either A) the timbered country of Northern/Eastern AZ, in which case 8s or 10s will both work B) in the broken country of Central AZ, with its grassed flatlands and lava rocks, and 10s work, or in the Mesquite and Cactus choked flats of the Sonora, in which case 10s will still work.

There are certainly areas where a scope or binos with more X's would be handy, but not necessary.

I carry 10x50s on my chest and 15x56s in my pack and have contemplated adding a scope, but for muleys in particular, I like glassing with the 10s for the added FOV
We are coming to Arizona in January but have not narrowed down where yet. Thank you very much for your info. My bino are not top of line but are not bad. I have Nikon Monarch 5.

GueroUlt

FNG
To me a spotter is essential. Like stated above, it would not be useful in close timbered areas. But almost everywhere else it is needed. Fatrascal.
I agree, I have a pair of 12x50s along with a spotter and find that I use them equally in the open country. For some reason I find more animals with the spotter. I don’t know if this is a good or bad thing lol