Binoculars w/ stand, spotting scope or both?

What glass do you use elk hunting with rifle?

• Binoculars w/ stand

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • Spotting scope w/ stand

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Both

Votes: 15 41.7%

• Total voters
Using binos on a tripod is a gamechanger and allows you to be much more methodical when glassing a hillside. While your first priority should be quality glass, don't underestimate the importance of a good tripod. I've been using the SLIK 634 Pro Carbon tripod with a Sirui VA-5 panhead and couldn't be happier with it.

I hunt relatveily open country for elk. A spotter saves me gobs of time both spotting elk from long range as well as field judging bulls. I never leave the truck without a spotter! My spotter saves me miles upon miles of hiking! I often find myself first glassing large areas with binos. If I don't spot elk I'll run my spotter over the same area looking at every detail for elk.....possibly an ear, antler, leg, rump patch. It always amazes me how many elk and other game I spot with spotter that I miss with binos.
My game plan down to the letter. But I used to hunt country where the only open areas were old burns. Also I’d shoot the first legal bull I saw so binos were all I needed. Now…. Hell yes my spotter does the walking and when I put it away every step is getting closer to a bull and something is about to die!

OP
bigbuckkilla
So everyone that swaps binos out for a rifle, do you drill a plate onto the bottom of your stock or use the shooting V adapter?

I started with diamond backs. They arent bad for the money. If thats what your budget is cant go wrong woth them. And then save up to buy better binos and make those your truck binos that sit on the dash baking in the sun all year. That being said you will for sure end up buying better ones down the road. So if you can spend $1000 on binos i would highly recomend it.

For the tripod and gun stuff. I went the route of using a shooting V. I havent needed ot yet, ive been able to set up by blow downs to rest on or use my pack but it seems like its a nice thing to have of you need it for the couple extra ounces. I bet the plate on the guns better to get super steady

Matt G.

WKR
I would prioritize in the binos. I think you will best bag for buck in the 500-1K range. I would skip the diamondbacks but others like them. My eyes did not like them. Pending how much weight you want to carry on your chest, I stick to the 8 or 10 x 42's. I found myself keep on upgrading the binos overtime and probably spent way too much money vs just sucking it up and spending the money the first time. The second thing i would buy is the trip and lastly the spotter. Elk usually not needed unless really open areas.

For sleeping bags, keep in mind that the bag is worthless without a good pad. That cold ground will pull all the heat out. Look at the R values, and for the 3rd season I would steer towards 4.5 or higher value. For sleeping bags, down is probably the best with warmth to weight ratio/packability. But it is pricier. Western Mountaineering/Feathered friends probably the best. Synthetic is also an option usually a little more cost effective but bulkier and heavier less issue with wet climates. This is in general.

Zero need for a spotter for elk hunting unless you are going for a trophy. You sound like a first-timer so I'm assuming you'll be happy with any elk. You can see elk from a LONG way away with some bino's.

This. Based on my limited experience we quit packing spotters pretty quickly. If I was trying to judge trophy quality, I'd bring a spotter. You can see elk (and determine if it's a bull) from a LONG way away with some 10x42s and a solid rest; i.e., a tripod.

Lots of good advice in here too about trying to make items multipurpose.

tdhanses

WKR
I own both and use both depending on where I hunt but if your budget has you looking at diamonbacks. Spotter shouldn’t even be on your mind, invest all your funds into the best binos and if you can get a tripod as well.

OP
bigbuckkilla
I like the Firstlite Nemo sleeping bag and they have a pad on there. As for binos I’m gonna pay the money and get a good pair. I’m just trying to find a multi purpose tripod that’ll do both without me having to mount a plate on my gun.

bsnedeker

WKR
I like the Firstlite Nemo sleeping bag and they have a pad on there. As for binos I’m gonna pay the money and get a good pair. I’m just trying to find a multi purpose tripod that’ll do both without me having to mount a plate on my gun.

14 bucks, slap this on your tripod and it's a shooting rest.

They also make these but I prefer the first one. It’s attached to my gun and always ready to rock. I don’t even have to take the tripod out of the pack. If I’m in a hurry I can just drop my pack to the ground with the tripod lashed on and drop the gun into the hole. Bam!0A8FCF1D-7FF2-41E1-A0E8-1D88E603F02D.jpeg0D625877-144D-4151-816B-FE8238FB27A4.jpeg

OP
bigbuckkilla
I’m thinking I’m going to go with the vortexs summit carbon II, and an extra arca-Swiss plate and a v rest shooting attachment. Then run some vortex viper had 10x50. The bog is nice but seems pretty heavy, and I plan on hiking a lot.

Sounds like a plan. No the Bog isn’t light. Sometimes I pay the price for the exact tool I prefer. My only other comment is I’m not a fan of Vortex. I’ve never used their binos but the Vortex rifle scope I used last year was a total POS. If it’s an indicator there are used Vortex items for sale in classifieds all the time. I’d look at Steiner before that. 10x50 is a very good choice.

OP
bigbuckkilla
Sounds like a plan. No the Bog isn’t light. Sometimes I pay the price for the exact tool I prefer. My only other comment is I’m not a fan of Vortex. I’ve never used their binos but the Vortex rifle scope I used last year was a total POS. If it’s an indicator there are used Vortex items for sale in classifieds all the time. I’d look at Steiner before that. 10x50 is a very good choice.
I have a 3x9 scope of theirs that I actually enjoy for deer hunting. I do like their tripod set up I watched some reviews May go check them out at the store. They have good reviews. But I’ll keep looking at binos. Going to try some out at the store.

CoStick

WKR
I use 8x32, easier to hold by hand and Work great on tripod , field of view is amazing. I added a Nikon ED 50mm spotter as well if I need a nit more detail. Super light set up and covers my needs.

Steiner glass doesn’t get talked about much on forums. You mostly hear from guys using Swarovski Vortex and Nikon. But you’ll never hear a bad word about Steiner. Germans know how to make great optics for sure. Their Predator binos are nice. They come in 10x42. Their Military Marine binos are really nice glass and come in 10x50. You should take a minute and create a thread specifically asking for feedback on Steiner binoculars. In my opinion better than Nikon, Vortex, and Leupold. I’ve owned them before I coughed up the cash for Swaros so I’m speaking from personal experience.

Overdrive

WKR
I use both, I always have my tripod in my pack but it's also a multi use tripod that my friend has made and doesn't have on the market yet. We've been using it for years while guiding and putting them through abuse before he sets up production for it.

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
All of the inexpensive spotting scopes that I have ever looked through were a very poor buying choice. Frankly most of the inexpensive binoculars are in the same category.

I would much rather have a good pair of binoculars than any other single optical instrument. If you can swing the price for a big upgrade from the lower end models, look hard at the offerings from Meopta. They are half the price (or less) of the Swarovski models. I use Swarovski, but the Meopta is nearly as good for a lot less money. To my eyes they are better than the Zeiss Conquest, and a fair bit better than the top-of-the-line Vortex model - and a bit less expensive.

A pair of 10x Meopta's would be an excellent place to start for general elk hunting.

Erict

WKR
If just binoculars, I definitely prefer just my trigger sticks. Easy to support the binos on the "v" yoke. Works great sitting. I often fully extend the three legs but leave them strapped together, making a long "mono-pod" for quick glassing while standing - the support really makes a big difference to me. Of course, they also act as a tripod when needed for a shot.

If binos and spotting scope you can get by with trigger sticks using the scope plate, but the pan/tilt of a spotting scope won't be the same as a special head. There is a bit of "slop" to the handle of these stick that would lean me towards a dedicated tripod/head if glassing with a scope for extended periods.

"stock" photo
P65815M-1.jpg

"stock" photo - not me
65815_Tall_Tripod_Triggerstick_Lifestyle_1.jpg

Last edited: