Binoculars w/ stand, spotting scope or both?

What glass do you use elk hunting with rifle?

• Binoculars w/ stand

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • Spotting scope w/ stand

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Both

Votes: 15 41.7%

• Total voters

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not an expert by any means but I did notice a huge improvement by using a tripod for my binos. Then I got a spotting scope (Maven 15-45) and really enjoyed having it this past season.

Finding animals is the most important step while hunting so personally I deal with the extra weight and bring all the tools available to me

All of the inexpensive spotting scopes that I have ever looked through were a very poor buying choice. Frankly most of the inexpensive binoculars are in the same category.

I would much rather have a good pair of binoculars than any other single optical instrument.

Hell YES! You can’t shoot what you can’t find or see. I’d sell a kidney for top quality binoculars before I bought a stepping stone model intending to upgrade later. Buy once cry once. And you can’t judge optics standing in Cabelas either. It’s those first and last few minutes of light that separates mediocre glass from quality. And since those are the best times to locate game you need to be geared up for that. I can glass in the dark with Swaro 10x42 ELs. I’d listen and consider a set of Meoptas too. Invest in success!

smacha538

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like a plan. No the Bog isn’t light. Sometimes I pay the price for the exact tool I prefer. My only other comment is I’m not a fan of Vortex. I’ve never used their binos but the Vortex rifle scope I used last year was a total POS. If it’s an indicator there are used Vortex items for sale in classifieds all the time. I’d look at Steiner before that. 10x50 is a very good choice.

Which scope was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
bigbuckkilla
If just binoculars, I definitely prefer just my trigger sticks. Easy to support the binos on the "v" yoke. Works great sitting. I often fully extend the three legs but leave them strapped together, making a long "mono-pod" for quick glassing while standing - the support really makes a big difference to me. Of course, they also act as a tripod when needed for a shot.

If binos and spotting scope you can get by with trigger sticks using the scope plate, but the pan/tilt of a spotting scope won't be the same as a special head. There is a bit of "slop" to the handle of these stick that would lean me towards a dedicated tripod/head if glassing with a scope for extended periods.

P65815M-1.jpg

65815_Tall_Tripod_Triggerstick_Lifestyle_1.jpg
That’s a big ass scope!

Which scope was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can’t remember. I borrowed it because my real one was on back order. It was a 6-20 power. I can tell you this…. The eye relief SUCKED! If your eye wasn’t the perfect distance from the lense the field of view was all over the place. With my Leupold Mark 4s and 5s when you shoulder the gun you get an instant perfect rock solid image every time. Plus the crosshairs were sooooo damn thin I literally needed reading glasses to see them while focusing on a target. I couldn’t tear that thing off my gun fast enough to give it back. You couldn’t give me that scope for free.