Binoculars

jfs82

WKR
Im looking into Maven C series binoculars. I don't plan to buy a spotting scope (only so much I can spend this year having just started hunting) and am wondering if buying 12x mag makes sense to use (with a tripod) rather than buying the more standard 10x, or if, for most of you, the advantages of 10x outweigh the higher mag on the 12x with it's downsides. I'll mainly be hunting northern CA so that could be wide open to very thick redwoods.

Thanks,

Josh

Rodéo

WKR
Get the best pair of 8x42 or 10x42 you can afford right now and save up for a spotter next season. I personally use an 8x42 because of the difficulty I find in using a 10x without a tripod, but that's just me. If you have less hand shake you can probably get away with free-handing 10's.
Buy a nice tripod and pan head setup outdoorsmans,manfrotto, slik, benro, promaster, etc and the best set of 8x42 or 10x42 and you will be covered under more situations than if you went with a 12x

I have personally tried to use a set of 12x50s in the Northern California redwoods. I wouldn’t suggest it if you predict you’ll spend much time there, you want something with a little more FOV. A set of 10x42s make more sense in your situation IMO. I own a pair of Maven C1s and they would be a smart purchase for you.

^ Maven C1s are excellent glass for the money. 12s will be harder to hold steady, magnify minor glass imperfections, and decrease your FOV. I would stay away from 12s and go with 8x or 10x. 10 power is a nice middle ground.

OP
J

jfs82

WKR
Thanks all, just jumped on a deal from the classifieds on a pair of B1 8x42