Binos - buy once cry once?

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
☝️
Enjoying the view vs identifying if it’s a shooter. Big difference. Like Jimss I’m hunting all year long.

You will find yourself taking them everywhere even in the off season.

Jimss

WKR
To go along with scouting and hunting I also spend a great deal of time taking photos and video of game. Although a lot of guys use spotters for taking photos/video I've found that I get a lot better resolution and higher magnification using a camcorder and/or ultra-zoom camera. It's exciting to bring these home and look on the computer and/or big screen! This has really helped me field judge and recognize some of the biggest bucks, bulls, rams, and billies that I scout each year.

I'm a firm believer in the buy once cry once, but the mid-high to high-end optics has become blurred with all the really good glass in that $1500ish range. Maven, Tract, Meopta, Steiner, Vortex, Zeiss, and others, all make some really good glass in the price range. I had some early 2000's Swaro EL's, that could not compete with glass of today's $1500ish market. That being said, you really need to put your eyes through them, what looks good to some, may not to you.

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
I had an eye injury and pretty much need to wear sunglasses in bright light. See just fine though. When I decided to take the big plunge on top end 10x binos, the swaro el were the only ones that gave me a full easy view with the eye cups all the way in. fyi.

Here is a review by Backwoods Pursuit of under $1,500 binoculars. They use a composite score ranking from a large panel of experienced outdoorsmen directly comparing all of the candidates. Here is how they ranked the finalists after weeding down the initial field:

1, Vortex UHD 10x42
2. Swarovski SLC 10x42
3. Sig Zulu 9 11x45
4. Kowa Genesis 10.5x44
5. Meopta MeoStar B1+ 10x42

Newbie here. I am also at a crossroads in upgrading my binoculars. I am a firm believer in buy once cry once, but binos arent my most used piece of equipment. That being said I don't think I am wanting to spend Swaro money but rather Razor HD money.
Nothing wrong with not needing alpha glass… lots of people don’t need the best glass money can buy. As long as you don’t get curious and spend time behind alpha glass next to razor hd, I bet you will love them.

I spend a bunch of time behind glass, so it’s worth it to me, but if you’ll never use them enough to justify alpha glass, razor hd are great, they are clear, light, great warranty… as good as anything for most hunters in the country

BBob

WKR
I spend a bunch of time behind glass, so it’s worth it to me, but if you’ll never use them enough to justify alpha glass, razor hd are great, they are clear, light, great warranty… as good as anything for most hunters in the country
Same, I spend a zillion hours a year looking through glass and I'm accustomed to the best of the best and it's worth it to me. If you spend enough time behind great glass you'll be rewarded now and then with seeing things others sometimes can't see even when they are sitting right next to you.

Awesome points there @roosiebull and @BBob. I won’t spend hours behind them, but rather get a better look at something I’ve spotted with my eyes. I never got on the Vortex wagon until I fell in love with my razor Gen II 1-6x scope. The glass is clear enough for me and I can’t justify $1500+ on binoculars right now while only using part of the year.

Where do most go to try multiple brands of binos? I stopped at a Bass Pro the other day and was disappointed to see they only had a Vortex UHD, Swaro EL and Leica Geovids….and to top it off store policy only allowed one pair out at a time so no way to go outiside with several pairs to compare.

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Where do most go to try multiple brands of binos? I stopped at a Bass Pro the other day and was disappointed to see they only had a Vortex UHD, Swaro EL and Leica Geovids….and to top it off store policy only allowed one pair out at a time so no way to go outiside with several pairs to compare.

Sportsmans Warehouse. We filled up a basket with binos to test outside. They brought 2 employees out incase I ran off with a basket full of optics hahah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venom One

WKR
Here's one of the most comprehensive reviews I've ever read on bino's. 10 reviewers, 26 different pairs, ranked within price ranges with an in-depth explanation for each. The rankings are shown at the beginning of the article. If you want to read the explanation (pro's and con's) scroll down. The UHD's ranked quite well.

My “alpha “ binos are Swaro EL 10x42. It still hurts when I think about how much they cost. What I think I mainly got was the ability to use them 15 minutes sooner each morning and 15 minutes later each evening compared to mid-grade glass. Is that worth it to you?