Binos for kids

lmeyer

WKR
What size binos do you get for kids? I have 4 boys ages 2, 4, 5, and 6. after a hiatus for the past few years from hunting, Ive started taking them one at a time to sit in the whitetail stand this year( tried taking the two oldest the first time, there probably wasn't a squirrel left in 200 yards) and they really like using the binos and keeps them busy and quiet. I have 10 x 45s that seem like a bit much for them to handle. What are some good models/sizes to look into that are decent and around $100 or less that wont fall apart from a little abuse? Should I go down to 8x, or will they eventually get used to the 10x?

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Either a 6x or 8x.

A great option would be the Athlon Talos 8x42's which we have on sale for $89.99 reduced from $139.99

• Phase Corrected prisms: Phase corrected prisms produce images that have better contrast, a higher resolution and better color reproduction
  • BaK4 prisms: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes which will give you brighter and sharper image.
  • Advanced FMC: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses gives you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
  • Long Eye Relief: Long eye relief can be particularly important for eyeglass wearers because longer eye relief allows them to still see the entire field of view.
  • Close Focus: Close focus is important for those who are nature observers and especially important if you are going to watch butterflies or insects
  • Twist Up Eyecups: Twist up eyecups with intermediate stops allow you to set the eyecups to the ideal eye relief for you eyes
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidentally submerged underwater
  • Lifetime No Fault Warranty

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I was gonna say 8s but hadn't ever thought of 6s.

I wouldn't give them 10s though. My 8 year old struggles focusing on one thing much less holding binos on it. My 10 year old has gotten way better in the last year with binos. My 5 and 6 year olds spend more time looking at things the wrong way...

I found one of my kids "using" my old pair...

Attachments

• 20170823_173924.jpg
    20170823_173924.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 28
OP
L

lmeyer

WKR
I was gonna say 8s but hadn't ever thought of 6s.

I wouldn't give them 10s though. My 8 year old struggles focusing on one thing much less holding binos on it. My 10 year old has gotten way better in the last year with binos. My 5 and 6 year olds spend more time looking at things the wrong way...

I found one of my kids "using" my old pair...
Lol! My 4 year old does the same!

bozeman

WKR
I bought my son a 8X30 Vortex porro prisms when he was 9 years old....they are now his sister's who is 12.......best $159 spent on binos....

My son (6, almost 7) has Vortex Diamondback 8x32 binos. I am NOT a Vortex fanboy, but their no fault warranty seemed like a no brainer to me for a kids binocular. He loves them and really enjoys being able to scan the field/woods with them.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a pair of Leopold Yosemite 8x32 that will end up being my kids. They are about $85 new, so not the cheapest, but under $100.

Fatcamp

WKR
Bought our 13yo a pair of 8x42 Diamondback HD for Christmas this year. Should serve him well for years.

pc3

WKR
My son (6, almost 7) has Vortex Diamondback 8x32 binos. I am NOT a Vortex fanboy, but their no fault warranty seemed like a no brainer to me for a kids binocular. He loves them and really enjoys being able to scan the field/woods with them.
My son has these as well,,,,quite good. My daughter has the Vortex Vanquish 10x super light and actually very clear.

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
What size binos do you get for kids? I have 4 boys ages 2, 4, 5, and 6. after a hiatus for the past few years from hunting, Ive started taking them one at a time to sit in the whitetail stand this year( tried taking the two oldest the first time, there probably wasn't a squirrel left in 200 yards) and they really like using the binos and keeps them busy and quiet. I have 10 x 45s that seem like a bit much for them to handle. What are some good models/sizes to look into that are decent and around $100 or less that wont fall apart from a little abuse? Should I go down to 8x, or will they eventually get used to the 10x?
Great questions - I would definitely recommend going with less magnification and as light weight as possible. This is going to allow them to hold it steady. We have some compact options in our Diamondback HD line that would work great. The Diamondback HD 8x32 is what I have my kids use.

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
Vortex warranty gives piece of mind. We have had good luck with the 6.5x32 vortex raptor. Being porros, they are bulky. Also, these are not tripod compatible. Those are the biggest drawbacks. The glass is pretty good for the money. I think I paid $75-80.

If portability and size is not a priority, I have heard a lot of good reviews on the Nikon aculon. I was impressed with them for the money. In an 8x42 configuration this would be a good, though bulky, kids bino. This one does have threads for a tripod adaptor.

jmez

WKR
I got my boys 10x42 vortex diamondback when they turned 7. They love them and don't have trouble with the bigger ones. I just ordered 2 pairs this week for my twins for Christmas. On closeout most places as they are making a new model. $129 a pair they are a steal.

The vortex harness/ pouch also works good for kids. It will tighten down enough to fit them.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Sponxx

FNG
I bought 2 sets of Kowas 6x30mm. They work well for my 4 kids (ages 4 to 11) and also my wife has an easy time getting behind them. I actually used them in archery season this year, instead of my 10x43s DCF SPs
Excellent binos to get them started and keep growing with.

dgarrett

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the grandkids Vortex 10x42 diamondbacks..Good enough glass for them... and if they spill pop or get them stick it was not going to ruin our time hunting worrying about more expensive glass...

Bkdc

FNG
I agree with the 6x recommendation for kids. My older kid gets the Kowa BD 6.5x32 which usually sits in the glove compartment. It is pricey at 400 for a kids tool but I’ll pass it on and she will grow into it.