Binos in 2021 - Where we at?

R_burg

WKR
Hey guys - 2 part question. I'm in need of some new binos.

1. ) I havent researched binos in 5-6 years since I bought my last set. At that time most western hunters were running 10x42 (or 10x50) main sets with a spotter, and some guys were starting to transition to carrying 15x56's as well (or instead), depending on the hunting situation. Now it seems like everyone has a set of 15x56's and I am even seeing 18x56's marketed, etc. What is the "popular" setup most are running these days. BTW - I am in AZ, so we're talking real glassing.

2.) What are currently the popular models/brands that a step down from Swaro. As much as I'd love to, I dont hunt enough to convince myself to spend the money for high end tier 1 glass. That being said, I want something nice. Low CA and great side to side (full lens) clarity are high on my list.

BBob

WKR
I'd say you were incorrect in your statement that "some guys were starting to transition to carrying 15x56's as well" as anybody serious in AZ have been doing that for well over 30 years. Two setups as I see it and I use both depending on where I'm going and how far I'm going.

1) The old standby: 10x around your neck, 15x in your pack, optional spotter in your pack. I'd own the best 15x you can buy before I'd buy a spotter (15x first if deer is your main focus, if elk is I'd maybe consider a spotter first over 15x).

2) BTX sized glass in combination with either 10x or 12x around your neck.

If I couldn't have Swaro SLC 15x I'd consider the Meopta Meostar B1 + (which may or may not be much of a downgrade depending on your preferences and eyes). I am of the opinion that glass in AZ is just about the most important tool you carry so I won't really compromise much at all on that front.

Last edited:

JakeSCH

WKR
I've been an 9x, 15x, and occasional spotter guy for a long time. This next year I will probably have 12x (NL Pure), 15x (SLC HD) or 18x (Maven), and a spotter (Kowa).

Meopta B1, Maven B5, Vortex UHD, Zeiss Conquest for the bigger glass. Maybe the new Tract?? Don't know much about it.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Top brands in great quality without spending Swarovski $$$

Steiner HX

Kowa Genesis

Meopta Meopro Air & Meostar Plus

GPO Passion HD

Sig Sauer Zulu 9

Leica Trinovid

Zeiss Conquest HD

Also, keep in mind a great binocular becomes an awesome binocular when tripod mounted

As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to discuss this with you to assist you in deciding which is the correct option. Please feel free to give us a call, 516-217-1000

OP
R

R_burg

WKR
I'd say you were incorrect in your statement that "some guys were starting to transition to carrying 15x56's as well" as anybody serious in AZ have been doing that for well over 30 years. Two setups as I see it and I use both depending on where I'm going and how far I'm going.

1) The old standby: 10x around your neck, 15x in your pack, optional spotter in your pack. I'd own the best 15x you can buy before I'd buy a spotter (15x first if deer is your main focus, if elk is I'd maybe consider a spotter first over 15x).

2) BTX sized glass in combination with either 10x or 12x around your neck.

If I couldn't have Swaro SLC 15x I'd consider the Meopta Meostar B1 + (which may or may not be much of a downgrade depending on your preferences and eyes). I am of the opinion that glass in AZ is just about the most important tool you carry so I won't really compromise much at all on that front.
I guess I just meant it wasnt as popular, but I am sure you're right - sorry.

I have a fairly high end spotter. To your point I only carry it selectively (depending on the hunt) because its heavy. So everyone is going to BTX's? I guess that doesnt surprise me.

I've been an 9x, 15x, and occasional spotter guy for a long time. This next year I will probably have 12x (NL Pure), 15x (SLC HD) or 18x (Maven), and a spotter (Kowa).

Meopta B1, Maven B5, Vortex UHD, Zeiss Conquest for the bigger glass. Maybe the new Tract?? Don't know much about it.
You hint at one of the reasons I started this thread - seems like people are going for more magnification - is 12 the new 10 and 18 the new 15?

Top brands in great quality without spending Swarovski $$$

Steiner HX

Kowa Genesis

Meopta Meopro Air & Meostar Plus

GPO Passion HD

Sig Sauer Zulu 9

Leica Trinovid

Zeiss Conquest HD

Also, keep in mind a great binocular becomes an awesome binocular when tripod mounted

As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to discuss this with you to assist you in deciding which is the correct option. Please feel free to give us a call, 516-217-1000
Yeah, I have numerous tripods - Cant imagine glassing without one.

Who makes the Zulu 9 for Sig. Do we know?

JakeSCH

WKR
I honestly think the exact location / terrain will determine what I bring. If I go on backpack trip, I may only bring 12x and Kowa 553's.

If I know I will need 15x or so, I may get a small pair of 8x30ish size for my chest to drop the weight.

OP
R

R_burg

WKR
I honestly think the exact location / terrain will determine what I bring. If I go on backpack trip, I may only bring 12x and Kowa 553's.

If I know I will need 15x or so, I may get a small pair of 8x30ish size for my chest to drop the weight.
Certainly understand your point - just trying to get an idea of whats popular and where the market is going given the current offerings and advances in coatings, etc.

I'd love to go drop 10k on glass and have every combo at my disposal, but unfortunately thats not in the cards.

PSplay

FNG
Tract's 15x56 is on sale for pre-order with expected first shipment dates around August 20th. If the optics are as good as the rest of their line, it should be about equal to Swaro for far less money.

Maven's my other bino company I'm keeping an eye on for about equal optics with the alpha brands with far less money outlay in getting my hands on them.

Good luck with whatever you choose and have fun lugging around heavy glass!

BBob

WKR
I guess I just meant it wasnt as popular, but I am sure you're right - sorry.
Just pointing out how long 15x has been the standard (for good reason) in AZ. Coues was the original driver in that but it's great for our mule deer as well. If I were a $$ limited deer hunter in AZ I'd buy the best 15x you can possibly afford and make that your base starting point for your glassing arsenal (provided you already have good 10x for around your neck). The glass is going to find the deer (animal) to hunt not my fancy pack or clothes. I've found and killed lots in the past with a basic day pack and cotton camo's or jeans with the key being the best optics I could buy at the time.

I have a fairly high end spotter. To your point I only carry it selectively (depending on the hunt) because its heavy. So everyone is going to BTX's? I guess that doesnt surprise me.
Lots have been going to BTX or Twins and have been for awhile. It's a cost thing and I get it. I am a believer. I kick ass over some friends that don't have a big gun and they are no slouches when it comes to glassing. In that instance we tag team (which works very well). They cover short and I cover long and vice versa if the situation warrants it and if we both have big glass. BTX or Twins are a luxury and not required. If I couldn't afford them I'd be fine with my 15x. You will find plenty with them, we all have killed many fine Coues deer with 15x.

You hint at one of the reasons I started this thread - seems like people are going for more magnification - is 12 the new 10 and 18 the new 15?
Depending on situation I prefer the 10x and 15x combo and would say that's more optimal than just 12x. The SLC 15x will still edge out my NL 12x. 12x is a compromise if you have BTX. In the beginning I carried 10x, 15x and Twins, it's too much space and weight and you just don't use the 15x much if at all in that situation. No 18x has proven out as good as SLC 15x so far. You'll get lots of opinions on cheaper than SLC 15x but they are the standard. I've looked through the Meopta and they are good. I haven't spent enough time in them to say they are equal or not. I have some reservations over edge clarity and eye relief but sometimes after using something for a bit the original negatives fade and don't end up amounting to much. I may actually buy some to test at some point. My optics circle still bet on the SLC's (15x) as top dog with some Meopta Meostar fans. The rest don't get much traction around here. It's a very tough crowd to say the least.

Last edited:
OP
R

R_burg

WKR
@BBob

Great post, thank you. I have hunted Coues down here for a few yrs now, sometimes behind other people's 15x's, so I can certainly agree from personal experience that the difference between 10x's and 15x's when hunting Coues is night and freaking day... Muleys too, especially when down south. My brother is joining me this year, but hes not a western hunter, so it gives me an excuse to add some glass to the arsenal that I can let him use - probably put him behind the 10x's and I'll take the 15x's if I end up going that way.

Here’s where I’m at:
One pair of binos, no spotter-12x
One pair of binos and a spotter-10x
Two pair of binos, spotter optional- 8x and 15x
Personally I like the 3rd option and lean towards a low power bino on my chest,15s for dedicated tripod use and a spotter if I feel like I need more than 15s. I can’t hold 12s stable freehand and prefer the wider field of view that 8s give over 10s. Just received my first alpha glass, 8x42 Zeiss SFs and am blown away. Previously had Maven 9s and was plenty happy with them. Meopta 15s are tough to beat for the money. They’re VERY close to Swaro quality but I found the eye relief to be slightly more finnicky. Both the mavens and Meoptas will run under 1k in good used shape.

WRM

WKR
I've got horrible eyes, and the Meopta 15s are one of the few binos I can easily use with correction (contacts/glasses) or without (and not have to spend considerably more money). If you want a spotter too, the Kowa 500 series is hard to beat for an "all around" winner.

Levi8599

Lil-Rokslider
I use meopta b1 plus 15x56 and then have an 8x around my neck. The 15x sit on a tripod. I live in AZ as well.

Reactions: WRM
If I’m in Coues country, I bring my SLC 15s and my STX (65 or 95 depending on where). Don’t bring another pair of binoculars; my Sig range finder does wonders for taking quick peaks. Same setup when hunting anything in the junipers and pinyon. My Manfrotto 290 and Jim White are always with me on these types of hunts.

In timber, it’s my SLC 10s and sometimes a spotter. Historically that’s been my STX 65 but my Kowa 554 is impressing me so it’ll probably get to tag along instead of my STX. My Slik 635 and Jim White are always with me on these types of hunts.

My view is that the money spent on alpha 15s is a money and time saver. Saves a lot of wear and tear on my gear and body. Not looked through non-Swaro 15s so others’ opinions will be more valuable than mine.

Note: I was saving up for the BTX but Doug had too good of a deal on the Kowa 554 so I had to grab it. But I’m back to saving up for the BTX.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m still liking my Zeiss conquest 8x42s. I’ll upgrade eventually but the conquests are good enough that I’m in no rush.

JakeSCH

WKR
Here’s where I’m at:
One pair of binos, no spotter-12x
One pair of binos and a spotter-10x
Two pair of binos, spotter optional- 8x and 15x
Personally I like the 3rd option and lean towards a low power bino on my chest,15s for dedicated tripod use and a spotter if I feel like I need more than 15s. I can’t hold 12s stable freehand and prefer the wider field of view that 8s give over 10s. Just received my first alpha glass, 8x42 Zeiss SFs and am blown away. Previously had Maven 9s and was plenty happy with them. Meopta 15s are tough to beat for the money. They’re VERY close to Swaro quality but I found the eye relief to be slightly more finnicky. Both the mavens and Meoptas will run under 1k in good used shape.

I have always been a #3 except maven 9x on the low end. Now I have no clue what I am going to do, after learning how to handhold binos better I can hold the NL 12x as good as well as I use to hold the 9x. Pretty much leaves me in a state of shoulder shrug.

Most likely I will run either NL 12x or Zeiss RF 10x in my chest, 15x SLC's in the pack with the Kowa 553 for a little more detail. I am struggling with the NL 12x + range finder vs Zeiss RF 10x. Basically I am trading 2x w/ slightly better glass vs a rangefinder...same fov. The extra 2x isn't necessary since I have the SLC 15s...but also doesn't hurt.

I also don't mind a separate range finder and will probably carry it either way. Maybe I will trade off days with the Zeiss and the 12x to see if having the range finder bino combo is worth it.