Binos instead of spotter

N2TRKYS

WKR
For those that went the bino route over the spotting scope route, what power binos did you go with? Do you ever wish for more magnification? Do you regret not getting a spotter or did you get one later?

Thanks for the info.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Depends on the hunt. I have 8/10x binos, 15x binos, 50mm spotter, and 80mm spotter. I was gonna sell the 80mm spotter because I never used it, then I went sheep hunting and realized the 50mm wouldn't cut it trying to see a small critter at 2mi, but for most all my other hunting I won't touch it. Same hunt I rarely touched my 10x binos until the final stalk. It was pretty much 15x and 80mm for almost all the hunt. My little 2lb 50mm spotter is useful and comes along since its so light on most hunts because it can save me walking closer to see the log that looked like bedded deer. The 15x are nice looking for small critters where as if glassing for elk they're a lot easier to spot in 10x so maybe 10x with a spotter IF you're trying to review quality.

It depends...

What needs are you looking to meet? I ask since someone who regularly sits in a ground blind has totally different needs that someone that regularly hunts wide open spaces looking for tiny deer. Also, while one person may be able to steadily hold 12s another may not be able to do the same with 10s.

I have Swaro SLC 10s, Swaro SLC 15s, and a Swaro STX with 65mm and 95mm objectives. I take whichever combination makes the most sense for that specific hunt.

LaHunter

WKR
My setup is a set of 10X42 SLC binos and a STS 65mm HD spotter. I use my binos way more than my spotter, but I always pack my spotter because when I need it, the 10X binos just aren't enough. I could do ok with just my binos, but sometimes mule deer antlers are hard to judge, or even see, at over a mile in less than ideal lighting and a brown/grey background with 10X binos. So I guess to answer your question, I would regret not having a spotter when hunting out west, either mule deer or elk hunting. I also find animals with my spotter that I may miss with my binos. Also, I am a rifle hunter.

Beendare

WKR
It doesn't take much sitting and looking through a spotter to realize binos are much better.

15s on a tripod covers just about everything.

I really feel like my maven 18s have been a game changer for me. I can sit behind them for so long... it makes a huge difference in the country I hunt

skierhs

WKR
i use a 15x bino all the time, specifically the slc 15x. That being said I still don’t find myself leaving the spotter behind. The bino’s are great till they Arn’t enough and then the spotter makes all the difference. Now I just find myself carry a chest bino, 15x bino, and a 95mm spotter.

It doesn't take much sitting and looking through a spotter to realize binos are much better.

15s on a tripod covers just about everything.

See and I’m the opposite. I want the power to crank up the spotter to 45x. But I hunt open country and want to judge maturity and the spotter (Ares) doesn’t bother my eyes at all.

mtnkid85

WKR
When I upgraded glass, bins where first. 10x42s. Later came the spotter.
For 90% of hunting im looking through my bins, once Ive spotted something then maybe Ill breakout the spotter.

They can both be invaluable but I wouldn't leave my bins behind to take the spotter, if that makes sense.

Rbw1989

FNG
I think I’ll be going the same route. I use 12x Binos now but want to get a good set up of 2 sets, one low power and one high power. I’m just not sure if there is enough difference between the 12s and the 15s or if I would be better off stepping it down to some 10s For off hand spotting and 15s for the tripod.

rclouse79

WKR
I had a spotter and sold it because it was no fun to look through for extended periods and I am not much of a trophy hunter. I love looking through my 15x56 kiabab’s all day long.