Binos on a budget

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have. For me the step from $100 Bushnells to the Viper HDs is greater than the step from the Viper HDs to the >$1000 anything. Obviously personal preference makes a difference and if I lived behind my glass I could easily justify the step up. But for now I'd rather spend that extra money towards practice ammo and other gear.
You looked through them in the field or in a store? The biggest difference in stepping up in glass is the better glass has less eye strain than the budget versions. I used a pair of Hawke Frontier EDs for years. Long glassing sessions it's not even comparable. The Hawkes come off the same line as the Vipers, just a different badge pretty much.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

cmush

Lil-Rokslider
You looked through them in the field or in a store? The biggest difference in stepping up in glass is the better glass has less eye strain than the budget versions. I used a pair of Hawke Frontier EDs for years. Long glassing sessions it's not even comparable. The Hawkes come off the same line as the Vipers, just a different badge pretty much.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Did I spend 8 hours behind them? No, but I have done a side by side looking at various game in the field. Are the more expensive binos objectively better? Definitely, but I think that it's fairly well established that as you move up in price tiers for optics the laws of diminishing returns become much more apparent. If I guided for a living or lived somewhere where the difference between a 49.5" and 50" moose or a certain age or full curl ram meant the difference between having a great day and being in deep shit then yes, it would be worth it. But as it is, I just want to spend time in the woods and get as mature of an animal as I am capable. Tags are worth more than gear for me right now.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I have spent 2.5 years behind glass doing the Lord's work. Given the budget you provided, I'd go Leupold for sure. If you want to save a few more $$$, Vortex is a close second in glass quality for less

Dualsight

FNG
High end glass looks good to just about everyone. At around $300 one brand may look good to one person and the next person may not think they are worth it. You really have to look through them yourself. Looking in a store and looking through the glass from outdoors makes a difference too.

That being said, there is decent glass out there for $300. One year Outdoor Life had a Pentax they reviewed awarding them Best Buy and Editor's Choice. I found one in a Bird Watching shop for $240 + tax. For me, it's a great pair of binoculars.

Mike7

WKR
Maven B3 8x30 (+/- a tripod for use beyond several hundred yards) is a really good value...in fact better than most things that I have tried that are at twice the cost.

I had this same question. I know there is exceptional glass out there, but my funds are limited. I tried Bushnell/Leupold/Nikon/lower end Zeiss/Vortex/ and a couple others. I have great eye sight. I wanted them most for low light conditions. And it honestly came down to a pair of Bushnells vs Nikon. The Bushnells actually worked the best in low light. But the Nikon Monarchs were so close. Add in the Nikon Warranty, and they got my money. I ran them next to my brothers 3 year newer Vortex, and still felt that the Nikons were better. Sure if you want to spend 3x's or more money, there is better glass. But for what I do the Nikons were the choice.

Dualsight

FNG
I will not disagree. But I will say it is difficult to tell someone else, “You will not be disappointed.”

I only say this because everyone is different and their perception of what is clear and bright is different from someone else. It is not easy to find, but there are articles (not opinions, because those vary widely) explaining why this is so.

It’s good to get on forums, such as this one, and ask because there are suggestions and key features pointed out one may not have considered. However, the purchaser must do the leg work and look at what they are buying or risk being disappointed. Suggestions from others are just that, “suggestions”, and are not an ironclad guarantee. Otherwise, why is there a need to have so many competing manufacturers for any product?

BobbyMac

Lil-Rokslider
I will not disagree. But I will say it is difficult to tell someone else, “You will not be disappointed.”

I only say this because everyone is different and their perception of what is clear and bright is different from someone else. It is not easy to find, but there are articles (not opinions, because those vary widely) explaining why this is so.

It’s good to get on forums, such as this one, and ask because there are suggestions and key features pointed out one may not have considered. However, the purchaser must do the leg work and look at what they are buying or risk being disappointed. Suggestions from others are just that, “suggestions”, and are not an ironclad guarantee. Otherwise, why is there a need to have so many competing manufacturers for any product?

I totally get what your saying...But the name of the thread is "Binos on a Budget"...Maybe I should have stated a bit different. I have put the legend M's head to head with those two bino's specifically. In both cases the owners of said optics could not believe the quality for the price point of these bino's...and stated they would "not be dissapointed at all" rolling with the Bushnell's. Just check the birding sites...they stack up amazingly well. I got rid of my zeiss dialyts after I got the Legend M's and have not looked back....A great budget minded piece of glass that swings way above its weight class.

THANK YOU Dualsight !! these forums get so cluttered with folks who clearly sound like they want someone else to make the purchase for them ….. OR don't peruse through the threads for ALREADY COVERED material

ZT3006

FNG
I recently got my dad a pair of Leupolds and they are very clear. I know its not about the warranty but having a lifetime helps.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I went through cameralandny and was set on getting some gpo and once I started to talk with the guy, he directed me to the meopro for $400 and I love them. I don’t spend enough time behind them to warrant spending more at this point. Diapers and food are expensive