Binos on a tripod

@Mule3006Elk Which Silk do you have? I see GoHunt currently has some on sale. What’s the benefits of the Silk over the Vortex SS tripod?
SIlk 733.
Carbon fiber.
STABILITY. Way more stable the SS tripod with nocs and spotter but especially the spotter.
I put an outdoorsman panhead on top and it is SOLID.
So much better than my Vortex setup that I started with in regards to stability.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been really happy with my RRS bino cinch
+1 on the RRS.

Randy

grfox92

WKR
I appreciate all the feedback folks.

Last question, should I switch from a tripod to a monopod? Also sometimes I’ve taken my Exo pack and put it in between my legs and have used the frame for a solid platform. Is this something that will work for 15x56 glass?
There is no replacement for a tripod.

I glassed with my 10x on a monopod this year while I let my buddy use my tripod for his new spotter.

After about an hour on that monopod I lost all interest in glassing.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

i think you cant beat a tripod for glassing. But i usually hunt with one trekking pole and it works great for hiking up steep stuff and when you need to check something at distance or give a quick scan you can drop to your knees and use the trekking pole as a mono pod. It works great for a quick scan instead of taking the tripod off your pack. But the tripod is always on my pack for anything more then 5-10 minutes of glassing

Macintosh

WKR
What are the functional differences between the outdoorsmans bino stud and something like the vortex binocular tripod adaptor? I have the vortex one and use it frequnently spotting at matches and have never had any issue. It wears a light arca mount and it screws off the binos in a second or three— sounds like folks think really highly of the outdoorsmans one, so wondering what I would see in improvement?

Superdoo

WKR
What are the functional differences between the outdoorsmans bino stud and something like the vortex binocular tripod adaptor? I have the vortex one and use it frequnently spotting at matches and have never had any issue. It wears a light arca mount and it screws off the binos in a second or three— sounds like folks think really highly of the outdoorsmans one, so wondering what I would see in improvement?
The outdoorsman's is essentially a "quick" release versus unthreading the vortex. Also, the vortex doesn't use a stud, so getting it to fit in a bino harness is a challenge. I feel like my Stoa Optics mount is a nice "in-between" of the two.
I like the Aziak too, but the Stoa Optics one allows me to balance the optics better because it mounts to an ARCA plate.

Brooks

WKR
Call Doug or Joel at Cameraland and talk to them about your needs . They are 100% legit, usually have everything in stock with the best price and ship things fast. Tell them you are a RokSlide member for even better pricing.

The outdoorsman's is essentially a "quick" release versus unthreading the vortex. Also, the vortex doesn't use a stud, so getting it to fit in a bino harness is a challenge. I feel like my Stoa Optics mount is a nice "in-between" of the two.
I like the Aziak too, but the Stoa Optics one allows me to balance the optics better because it mounts to an ARCA plate.
Stoa Optics? Just googled that, not coming up. I'm trying to figure out the different pieces of trying to run my rifle, Athlon spotter, and Kowa binos off of the same tripod head, and I was looking at the Aziak mounts for the binos but never heard of this other one you're mentioning.

At least with my old Vipers and Vortex adapter...
With only a "few" threads of contact it is not nearly as stable as my Outdoorsman studs/adapter with my SLC 10s and 15s.

Superdoo

WKR
OP
Tips n Tails
I just wanted to follow-up and say “Thank you” to everyone that took the time to respond.

I ended up buying a Sirui T-004SK VA-5 Fluid Head Aluminum Tripod Kit from GoHunt, a lightly used pair of 15x56 Meopta Meostar HD binos, and a Aziak Bino Clamp.

Additionally, after looking through the binos today I’m beyond pleased with the clarity to include light transmission at 6:10 CST this evening. Just wish I had them this past year in Idaho. I’ll be taking them to New Mexico in March for Barb Sheep though.

Attachments

• 28636201-C523-410A-8206-125AD3E93398.jpeg
    28636201-C523-410A-8206-125AD3E93398.jpeg
    388.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 751BC9C4-F8FD-46F1-9B67-A5938F439D43.jpeg
    751BC9C4-F8FD-46F1-9B67-A5938F439D43.jpeg
    359.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
I've been really happy with my RRS bino cinch
THIS ^^ works great, I didn't want to install the stud on my el's.