Binos on hip belt?..

Rubbin_Is_Racin

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody ever tried this? I don't mind the chest pack I have, and really like have the range finder close but just seeing if anyone has run other options. I was thinking the binos would balance a water bottle on the other side and then I could run a range finder with a belt clip on the water bottle side along with a tether.

When I'm upland hunting, I usually carry binos in a belt pocket on my bird vest. Works for me. Usually use a chest pouch when rifle hunting though.

tdot

WKR
I've just been starting to experiment with this.

If I was still hunting, it would be probably be fail. But, for warmer weather or a trip where I was ounce counting it has some merit. I rarely put my pack down, so dont find that to be a negative. I like being able to lay down and not be laying on my binos.

I'm still not decided on it. But I do really like having the harness off my chest. But I'm not a huge fan of adding too much width on my belt, so it's a trade off.

So far I've only been trying this with a regular Seek Outside XL pocket. I'm considering either the Bino Pocket from Hill People Gear, or attaching a better harness on the belt.

OP
R

Rubbin_Is_Racin

Lil-Rokslider
On downside that I keep coming back to is the chest pack is a contained unit with a few extra essentials (mainly calls and wind checker) that you would have to kind of spread out if you went to the belt option.

I often carry my binos (Meostar HD 10x42 or 7x42) on a MOLLE pouch on my pack's waist belt. I carry my pistol and holster inside another pouch on the other side of my pack waist belt with the top zipped open so i can reach it but it is still out of view of other people. The binos make a nice counter weight to the pistol and i can still reach for them quickly if i see something. I use a pouch just big enough for the binos so it is not hanging down banging against my upper leg. I have used this system on both MR and Kifaru belt systems and it works good for me.

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
I used to carry my old 8x Swarovski rangefinder on my pack belt and use it as Binos for rifle hunting. That being said I don’t do that and more.

i was thinking about this recently too. I think the argument that in brush they might get banged around has some merit. kinda depends how much you like your binos. But I'm getting rid of the lid on my pack this season and the bino harness seems like just one more of those things...

Downsides to bino harness to me are that it's restrictive and it's one more thing to carry on a backpack hunt.
Upside is that it is more out of the way for brush and also a convenient place for extra ammo.

On the other hand, my spotting scope rides in a side pocket, albeit a little higher and I can probably find another accessible spot for ammo... so I'll at least be trying it out.

My biggest concern with having them in a belt pouch would be leaving them behind. Her is my scenario. I stop at an area I want to glass, but it does not maybe merit getting out the tripod. Just sit, get my binos out of the belt pouch and glass. Put binos down to have a snack. Stand up and start heading to the next ridge. Binos left behind..... Likely with glassing spots, I could come back and find them, but....

With the chest pack, they are attached to me, unless I take the chest pack off.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I really like the Bino’s on the shoulder strap with the peak designs shoulder strap attachment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
d3ae01dd4672765450a836e7d1bdf25a.jpg

7921f7f88f9c4c40d49e47e7fa355d8c.jpg

11/45 binocs ... probably would not want to go bigger and a small little cover would not be a bad add on but it is secure and easy

OP
R

Rubbin_Is_Racin

Lil-Rokslider
Dang thats pretty slick, not sure how well that would work with the bow but it could probably be implemented anywhere on the pack.

Bearsears

WKR
I was just thinking about asking this same question the other day. I love my bino harness for all the crap I can put in it but man is it annoying sometimes. Mostly i feel like its harder to vent my body heat with my quarter zip layers because it does not allow them to open up on my chest and it blocks air flow.

I did modify my chest harness with some straps and g hooks this year. Basically the straps are ran through sliders on the harness. When I put my pack on I hook the g hooks onto my load lifter straps and tighten them up a bit. This takes the weight of my bino harness off of my shoulders and transfers it to the pack. I have neck issues so it really helps.

@Kevin_t have you ever banged up your binos carrying them that way? I assume they are mounted on your off hand side? How do you like the Mavens? I'm thinking about getting a pair but cant decide between the 9's or the 11's.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was just thinking about asking this same question the other day. I love my bino harness for all the crap I can put in it but man is it annoying sometimes. Mostly i feel like its harder to vent my body heat with my quarter zip layers because it does not allow them to open up on my chest and it blocks air flow.

I did modify my chest harness with some straps and g hooks this year. Basically the straps are ran through sliders on the harness. When I put my pack on I hook the g hooks onto my load lifter straps and tighten them up a bit. This takes the weight of my bino harness off of my shoulders and transfers it to the pack. I have neck issues so it really helps.

@Kevin_t have you ever banged up your binos carrying them that way? I assume they are mounted on your off hand side? How do you like the Mavens? I'm thinking about getting a pair but cant decide between the 9's or the 11's.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Like the Mavens a lot . I think the B2 is it compared really favorably to a lot of glass ... and I’ve sat and glassed with several people and brands . For me, they are really defined . I stopped looking and let I let people borrow my other binocs .

Off hand yes , for hunting I plan on putting a small cover ... but people put big cameras on the same mount set up and it’s not an issue .

My preference vs bino harness is it’s a lot less screwing around changing layers and such. It’s put on your pack and go really . Sometimes with a harness and stuff it’s almost like you need to put on an outfit

Stalker69

WKR
I can’t stand chest packs, I have tried many. I like carrying mine in a fanny pack ( camera pack) .

Bearsears

WKR
Like the Mavens a lot . I think the B2 is it compared really favorably to a lot of glass ... and I’ve sat and glassed with several people and brands . For me, they are really defined . I stopped looking and let I let people borrow my other binocs .

Off hand yes , for hunting I plan on putting a small cover ... but people put big cameras on the same mount set up and it’s not an issue .

My preference vs bino harness is it’s a lot less screwing around changing layers and such. It’s put on your pack and go really . Sometimes with a harness and stuff it’s almost like you need to put on an outfit

Thanks Kevin! I completely agree. I get so sick of taking the bino harness off and then back on. I might have to try one of these mounts.

308ghost

FNG
I've decided to use a Hip pouch with molle. I even down sized my knockers from 10x42 razors to the 8x32 diamond back Hd’s to make them smaller and lighter for this purpose. I still bag 12x50’s and my tripod for glassing sessions but those 8x32 are perfect for on the move. I like to use my kenai chest holster with my G40 in case I’m able to stock in close. The molle pouch is not made for this and isn’t perfect but does a decent job. Wish it was a little less clunky. I also have and have used a bunch, the eberlystock bino harness holster combo. It’s ok but gets heavy with binos and a pistol. And if you lean over to tie your boot, there’s a good chance that pistol is going to slip right out and point at your face when it bashes off the ground. It needs better retention. Mine is also an original version so maybe that’s been addressed. If someone makes a small bino harness for you pack belt similar to one on your chest, please let me know.

Kostrize

WKR
What hip pouches do you guys think would work for this? I was looking at the Lowe Dashpoint 30 for some 8X30 CLs