Binos or Monocular?

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
I've been scrutinizing my backpacking gear for ways to shave off the pounds. It seems like I spend almost all my glassing time through my lightweight spotter. I only ever pull up my binos for those short distances while hiking or glassing. Monoculars look like they should be about half the weight and half the price of bino's with the same performance, not to mention they can slip in and out of my pants pocket easily enough.

What are your thoughts?

7mag.

WKR
The monoculars I've used are really dark, due to the small objective and only one objective. With binos you get double the light gathering ability.

Gus

FNG
it's tough to glass for long periods of time with one eye. i think you should cut weight somewhere else.

If my options were a 10 lb pair of bino's or a 1 oz minocular, I would choose the 10lb binos and add a tripod :)

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
My recommendation is to change your glassing style a little bit and spend more time behind the bins. Glassing with both eyes open is a lot less tiresome, and the result is you spend more time glassing, which is good.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
If your spending any significant time glassing, I don't think there is any real choice, Binos it is.

AZ Vince

WKR
Since it appears that you have elected to save weight somewhere else, not optics, I can only commend your decision.