Binos to pair with 12x50

I know folks rave about the 12x50 serving as a do-all bino, while my ELs are death on a tripod for finding game (and so far are the best binos Ive used for looking into shadows as well as catching movement from 300 to 1700 yds), for one handed operation or still hunting in some thick patches they aren't ideal. I am considering a 6x30 or 8x32 for a one handed quick scan, still hunting and final approach bino. Wondering if folks can speak to pros or cons of 6 vs 8 for this application and recommend any to take a look at. Considering the kowa ii bd 6.5x32, maven 6x30, or a used viper 6x32. Any suggestions or thoughts here? CO Elk, Mule Deer are primary game.

Do you have a range finder? If so, consider using it for the scenarios that you mentioned.

I only bring one pair of binoculars on my hunts: either Swaro SLC 15s (majority of my hunts) or Swaro SLC 10s. When I have the SLC 15s, I just grab my Sig range finder for the quick looks.

The 7x on my Sig is nice. The primary drawbacks are at very first and very last light. Not that big of an issue since those times occur before and after legal light.

gregory r

Lil-Rokslider
I have a slc 8x30 and an older vortex fury 6.5x32 for the situations you describe. I have found as I age, I actually prefer the 6.5 to the 8 power for stillhunting and glassing one handed, due to shake. Both binos are so light, that holding one handed, I can resolve details much better with the 6.5 vs the 8, even though the slc 8x30 is a better bino. By the way, the view isn't that much better, just the build quality.

gregory r

Lil-Rokslider
Based on what I have read, I think I would try the Kowa, or if you don't mind porros, the Leupold yosemite 6x30 get rave reviews for not alot of money.

Last edited:
I run swaro 15x56 hds on a tripod. Game finding machines.

I picked up a set of 8x32 el sv to replace my swaro 10x 42 slc hds in my chest rig. While they are fantastic they definitely are not 10x42s. I sold them and got a set of 10x 42 el sv and had the outdoorsmans stud pressed in.

Since I got the 10x 42 els I never once thought man I wish I still had those 8x32s.

I often thought of getting the 12x50 els but always thought I would not like them for hand holding in a chest rig. The 10x42 els are pretty dam good on the tripod as well. For me the 15x56 on a good tripod gives me dam near the detail of a 65mm spotter and is a lot more viewer friendly when used for hours on end.

I run a leica 2400r rangefinder on my chest rig. While it has a super clear view it is not near the optic of a similar size and quality binocular. When I am trying to identify or find game I always pull my 10's from the chest rig instead of the rangefinder. And I mean always.

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
You might enjoy a lightweight 8x bino (and find that you use it a LOT). I messed with 6-6.5x and found that you typically get just as wide of a field of view with 8x. I feel like 8x is about the max I can really free-hand without really noticing my shakiness. Maybe check out the Maven B3 in 8x30, the Conquest HD 8x32, Meostar HD 8x32, or one of the Nikon Monarchs HGs (or 7 if you're in a budget). If you want a little more light gathering then maybe try the Conquest or Nikon in a 42mm objective. Those are all known for being good, but we're all going to have our personal preference of what we like best. If you want to get crazy, then just buy SLC HD 8x42s.

I've been trying out a lot of different optics over the past year or two. I had (and actually sold!) EL 12x50s, and now I'm going back to 15x56s. The EL 12s couldn't hang with my 8x when free handing. Without getting too long winded, I wanted to only carry one bino, but was always carrying around either 8x42 SLC HDs or 8x32 Meostar HDs plus my EL 12s. On occasions I would also pack a spotter. In the past I was able to use 8x on my chest and 15x56 on a tripod and I found I wished for a spotter far less. It's a personal preference thing, and I'll likely be fidgeting with silliness like this until I die.

gregory r

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with Ben about the field of view with 6x vs 8x not being much different, but the op mentioned one handed operation while still hunting. For that scenario, I will choose 6x everytime. There is no way I can 1 hand an 8x without having more shake than a 6x. Stillhunting to me means having a weapon in one hand 90% of the time. If weapon is slung, and I can have 2 hands for bino, then 8x is great.

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
I just checked out the specs on that Kowa BD ii 6.5x32 and it looks like it might be the hot ticket. It is claimed to have a 525' field of view (which is near 10 degree). I think the OPer ought to buy one of them and let us know how it is!

I pair my 12xEL with 30x66 big eyes 😁. I have some older 8x30 slc’s that I carry when I’m out hiking with the kid on my back but I would only use them if I was archery hunting which I don’t do very often yet.

OP
Str8shooter
Thanks for the thoughts! I may give the rangefinder a run as a quick scanner but I think the lack of FOV/lbrightness will limit their use in final approach or still hunting darker timber patches. I should say I thought hard about 15s but the loss of FOV and the size of those beasts pushed me into the 12s and that flat field is next level. Found a pair of those kowa 6.5x32 nearby. Will report back after I go check em out!

I have the Japanese-made Vortex Viper 6x32 HD and can easily use them with one hand. Much better than my Cabelas Euro 8x32 HD (Meopta). Even though the Euro/Meopta has better glass the Viper 6x32 HD is much easier to hold and scan, and focus with one hand. If you could find one in 6x32 HD I think it would be a great combo to your ELs since you would transition to them if you see something worth studying.

gregory r

Lil-Rokslider
I agree Lionhound. If one hand operation is the rule, I would choose the cheap 6x Yosemite over the most expensive 8x every time.

binoman

FNG
Thanks for the thoughts! I may give the rangefinder a run as a quick scanner but I think the lack of FOV/lbrightness will limit their use in final approach or still hunting darker timber patches. I should say I thought hard about 15s but the loss of FOV and the size of those beasts pushed me into the 12s and that flat field is next level. Found a pair of those kowa 6.5x32 nearby. Will report back after I go check em out!
I was in your shoes not long ago contemplating the exact same thing - what to pair with my 12x50. I thought 8x32 would be a good match until I tried the 6.5x32 Kowa. The 6.5 is way easier to use, better depth of focus and a MUCH wider field of view. After comparing the two it felt like i was looking through a narrow tunnel with the 8x. For quick handheld observation the 6.5 is hard to beat.
Another point to remember, if you are look at something 300 yds away, with 8x it will appear as if you are standing 37.5 yds away from the object. With 6.5x it will appear as 46 yrd - not much of a difference. When hand held you likely wont be able to discern more detail with an 8 over 6.5. If you are looking at much farther distances that's when the 12 comes out on a tripod. Let us know what you think of the new Kowa!

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
Great. Now I feel the urge to try out those Kowa 6.5x32s.

Please do report back with what you think of them.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Maven B3 8x30 are great value. Easy one hand use and compliment 12x50s perfect without breaking the bank.

Shraggs

WKR
I have two small binos and 12x50 el. If I’m strictly going to be in timber with nothing beyond a hundred yards to glass I take my Leupold 6x30 at 17 oz. they do have a slightly wider fov then my swarm cl companions. Not close optically, and I use those if there are open areas that I want to glass. Also at 17 oz. the second generation of these are really special. I sold my slc neu 8x30 at 20 oz to save some weight. Optically after a long comparison the cl beat them and had better eye relief for my prescription.

A quality pair of 8x32's are arguably the most useful binoculars of all. If I had only one pair, it would be an 8x32.

Regarding the new Kowas, the reviews on the bird forums lead me to believe they are just another chinese bin that had lots of promise but poor QC. I passed on them.

tdot

WKR
I had the opportunity to pair a set of 12x50 el with my 8x32el last weekend during a hunt with my brother. I've looked thru the 12's before, but never at the same time as the 8's.

The 8x32's are hands down my favourite binocular that I have ever used. But I was incredibly impressed with the 12's. Colour and brightness definitely weren't the same. But I now have a set of 12's on order. However, I dont know that I would carry them at the same time. As of right now, the plan is to use them individually for specific hunts and then decide.

But even with my love for the 8's, if I could dump weight and maintain the optical quality. I would possibly consider the 6x as a better pairing for the 12x, as I really would be using the 12x for anything 3-400 yards and greater.

I cant imagine using my rangefinder while still hunting. It's a leica and the optical quality is there. But for the same reason that the BTX is amazing for long range spotting scope work, I would never give up using two eyes for short range work. There are some places that cutting weight just doesn't make sense to me.

OP
Str8shooter
A quality pair of 8x32's are arguably the most useful binoculars of all. If I had only one pair, it would be an 8x32.

Regarding the new Kowas, the reviews on the bird forums lead me to believe they are just another chinese bin that had lots of promise but poor QC. I passed on them.
Hey thanks I also peruse the birding forums for optics reviews and have only found good reviews on these kowas, can you point me to the review(s) you mentioned about QC issues? Also I thought Kowa were made and assembled in Japan?