Binos

I'm in need of some new binos this year. I'm looking at the vortex viper hd, ziess Terra hd,Leopold bx-4 pro guide. So my question is should I buy a chaper pair to get me by for the time being and wait until I can afford the higher end glass or would this mid tier stuff be ok? Main uses will be texas white tail, archery elk, and scouting ducks.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

None of those are bad options, between them the BX4's are the best as far as glass and build quality (it's Japanese vs Chinese and Phillipino), but none are alpha.

If that's what's in the budget at the moment just make sure you get a good deal so you're not going to lose your ass when you upgrade. The BX4's can be had from Euro Optic for about $500 as "like new" which are indeed new and you cant sell them used for $400-450 as long as they aren't beat up or just keep them as a loaners or a backup when alphas are in the budget.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
Maven makes some decent hardware. I have looked through the b4 (I think that's the middle of the ground line up, could be another designation). And they held their own compared to the others. They often have sales.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The most expensive way to buy optics is to buy more than once. It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

I definitely don't think you need top tier optics for the listed uses. You will probably be very happy with any of them. I have been using a pair of vipers for several years (bought from Doug^) and while they are not as good as something that costs 2x as much, they are much better than what I had before.

Elk and ducks make up a good portion of my use and I don't think I'm missing much on more expensive optics.

While I am pretty content with my binos, the Tract 12.5x have piqued my interest for awhile now.

TaperPin

WKR
The Leupold bx4 is good enough you’ll keep them as backups, a loaner, or glovebox binos even if you get a $2000 pair later. Last summer on vacation to Yellowstone, I found a sporting goods store that over ordered and sold the pro guide with case for $425. After a week of glassing alongside guys with full size Swarovski’s, there weren’t too many times they could pick out a detail that I couldn’t, and my eyesight isn’t all that good. I’d say they are as good as the old gold ring models.

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
I started off with some Nikon glass, then moved to Vortex razor glass. My cousin got a pair of Swaro SLC 10X42 & I made the mistake of looking through them on a hunting trip lol. I now run Swaro 10x42 SLC's & have a swaro 85HD ATX spotter, and I don't think I will ever use anything else. I could've certainly saved some $ if I would've subscribed to the "buy once, cry once" mentality & just went with Swaro from the jump. My experience is good glass is everything when hunting the west. As they say, you can't kill, what you don't see..

JP100

WKR
Of those i would go Leupold
really depends on budget.

Swaros are amazing, but not everyone can afford them(ive just got mine after 10 years of guiding)

Those Leupolds are very good, my dad has some and they stayed right with my Leicas in low light

Honyock

WKR
Buy a used pair of the binoculars you mentioned off the classifieds. With the three you mentioned, you're going to be selling them as soon as you can afford something better.

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
My brother has 10x42 Vortex Vipers (Japan made) and loves them. I was impressed with them too compared to my Meopros. I landed on the Vortex Razors (Japan made) as my primary binos for the time being. They are excellent. Crisp, lightweight and a large field of view. For context, I bought and sold Meostars, SLCs and Ultravid HDs. Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm crazy.