Biologists Questions when scouting

cdods

FNG
I've seen/heard a lot of people mention calling the wildlife biologist for the areas they're scouting for the upcoming season. I'll be the first to admit that I don't have the gift of gab, especially on the phone. I'm curious are there specific questions you guys ask the biologists? I can't imagine people straight up ask for honey holes. This question's come up because, I've hunted a couple areas for elk in Wyoming for numerous years and have been able to do well. The area I normally hunt is a densely forested mountain. However, this year I'm hoping to switch it up an draw a limited draw tag for a completely different area and have an idea where to start, but would like some input on questions to ask to help guide me.

cnelk

WKR
Do your research.
Ask about a certain drainage or mountain.

Ask where camps have been
Ask if there are cattle/sheep in the area - if there are, your next call is to the Forest Svc and ask about the grazing allotment
Ask about outfitters in the area [they dont just outfit in the Wilderness]
Ask them if they hunt the area - many hunt the area they patrol - for obvious reasons

justin84

Lil-Rokslider
I've called a few times now and every time my conversations got better because I am asking more specific questions.

If I draw an elk tag this year I will call and ask something like, I've deer hunted this general area before but the areas I'm planning on going for elk are new to me. Do you know about areas A, B, and C? If yes, would you recommend starting in one over the other on September 15th and if so, why? Areas A, B, and C have different elevations, proximity to roads, private land, etc. so my primary question would be his opinion on which is most likely to have the best chance at finding elk, considering everything like the weather, hunting pressure, etc.

Marble

WKR
I went in to my local DFG and asked. They walked me to the biologist office and they showed me stuff for about 30 minutes. Mostly GPS info from collared Elk. It was fascinating.