Biologists, the good, the bad, and the ugly

Just be appreciate, call until you catch them, and ask questions that someone would ask who’s spent some hours researching. Having brief calls every year or so is where the magic happens. Many biologists like hunter reports especially if you can share some quantity not just your own experience.

I've had success with running my hunt plan by them and asking if that sounds like an intelligent plan or if there is something I've missed. I also specifically state I'm not going to ask where to go because he's probably already told 10 other people the same thing and I wouldn't go there because of that.

Bisley45

Lil-Rokslider
I work as a private consultant biologist, so a little different than the state/fed folks. What Jasper said is dead on. I will echo what some others have said about biologist and other "ist" folks being pretty introverted. Oddly I'm a full on extrovert. Most of my coworkers would rather jump off a tall branch with a short rope than have a conservation with John Q Public. It's a mixture of having to "dumb down" the nuances of the subject matter and a general dislike of anything over small talk with strangers. They are typically super busy with their projects that the last thing they want to do is spend time talking with the public. Think about the guys that wait to do his taxes on April 14 because they would rather watch paint dry than do their taxes.

Me, i'm just an OK biologist, but throw me in a room with 30 strangers and I will do my best to make 30 new friends. My main position in our company is client relationships, comunications, and reading people.

Felix40

WKR
Keep in mind that all of us working at state agencies are getting multiple calls every day from people wanting to know where to hunt. And this is the busy time of year. When I get back into cell service at the end of the work day Im not likely to call back half a dozen guys who left the message “I drew a tag for Unit X but Ive never been out there and Im hoping you can point me in the right direction...”. If you have a real question you are more likely to get an answer. All the data reports and stuff can be found if you look around just a tiny bit.

Gobbler36

WKR
Biologist handing out hard earned information to people just calling is ******* bullshit, been burned on this many many times. I always make it a point to ask out of staters how they learned of the area and a large percentage of the time they respond with “oh I just called the biologist”. I’m at the point now when we have to report I refuse to tell them where I harvested the animal and lie about the unit.
I’m speaking for otc hunts not limited entry, I have no quarry with LE hunts but otc spots should be protected

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
Thanks all. My best advice to myself is persistence and most importantly patience. I'm the opposite of the hunter that asks where the big bucks are? I've done a lot of homework and have lots and lots of questions. What are the roads like, what's the hunting pressure like here, there, over there. Did this range get more rain than that one? Does that range that has high numbers have good quality? I like to pick their brains, especially if they have boots on the ground there. I try to not be overwhelming. LOL

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
Biologist handing out hard earned information to people just calling is ******* bullshit, been burned on this many many times. I always make it a point to ask out of staters how they learned of the area and a large percentage of the time they respond with “oh I just called the biologist”. I’m at the point now when we have to report I refuse to tell them where I harvested the animal and lie about the unit.
I’m speaking for otc hunts not limited entry, I have no quarry with LE hunts but otc spots should be protected
Well, I see your frustration and am emphatic. What state do you live in if you can tell me? Please don't tell me the county, I don't want out of state hunters rushing in to hunt it. Do you have to report where you killed an animal in great detail? It sounds like you don't want your state biologists publishing their public kill spreadsheets to people out of state? California public refuge duck hunters hate kill sheets getting published. Do you duck hunt too? Do you think your state biologists should even talk to people out of state? Thanks Bill

Last edited:

Ab24

FNG
Out of all the threads I’ve read in the short time I’ve been on these forums, this one has been the most informative. I read online that it’s a good idea to get in touch with biologists/game wardens but didn’t know what I’d ask. I know this wasn’t my thread but thanks for being helpful!