Bipod comparisons?

I’m in the market for a bipod of some sort for long range shooting and hunting.

I’ve seen every brand under the sun recommended - Harris, Atlas, Javelin, Modular Evolution, Hatch and others. I’ve also seen the same models be trashed.

I wish this was a more cut and dried option - while I’d like to buy the Harris and be happy with the extra 200 in my pocket, I also don’t want to buy it and wish I had something else... I also don’t want to spend an extra 200 for features I’ll never use.

What do you guys use/recommend? I’d really like something lightweight as well... but if it has to be heavy that’s fine too.

OP
J
I took a look at it, thanks for the heads up.

I guess the issue is with so many options, I don't want to feel handicapped if I'm trying to bang steel at 1000+, at the same time I don't want it to be so heavy that I opt to leave it at home on hunts either.

I'm thinking the tall Atlas might be what I'm looking for. But what am I gaining over the Harris(with Pod Lock)?

lintond

WKR
I’ve used the Harris, atlas, and extreme pod.

Harris is cheap, simple, but limited in adjustability and a little heavy & bulky.

Extreme pod what I thought I’d like with the adjustability ended up being a downside. I didn’t like the twist locks and the ball head would move during recoil.

Atlas has been my favorite so far. I like the quick adjust legs similar to the Harris. The advantage is the folding to multiple points front to back. I did cheap out and got the non-fixed legs which roll when I try and load the bipod....get the fixed legs. Watch out for the nock off Chinese version that is for sale on EBay.

Good news is there is an option out there for everybody....bad news is there are too many to pick from. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally have used the Javelin a lot. If I'm day hunting I have two in my pack since they are so lightweight. I have the tall and the long so I can shoot prone or sitting. If I am backpacking I just pack the one for shooting prone.

I used my brothers Evo pod on a hunt. I had never used it and when it came to crunch time it was easy to use, fast, and most important steady.

If I wasn't into backpacking I might use a heavier bipod more often. But for what I do the Javelin works pretty well.

Broz

WKR
We continue to test them and I am still using the Mod Evo. Good weight. Most stable we have tested rock solid on lite or heavy rifles. Can switch legs to a sitting pod when needed very quickly. Great light weight spikes for most soils. Quick detach and deploy. Great pod lock, in fact kicks many asses. If desired different length legs can be purchased. Preloading is easy and solid. We have them in stock at the moment, but they sell out faster than we can get them.

OP
J
We continue to test them and I am still using the Mod Evo. Good weight. Most stable we have tested rock solid on lite or heavy rifles. Can switch legs to a sitting pod when needed very quickly. Great light weight spikes for most soils. Quick detach and deploy. Great pod lock, in fact kicks many asses. If desired different length legs can be purchased. Preloading is easy and solid. We have them in stock at the moment, but they sell out faster than we can get them.
If I end up going with one of these should I get the longer legs or the shorter ones? That’s another dilemma I have 😂

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
If I end up going with one of these should I get the longer legs or the shorter ones? That’s another dilemma I have
I'm with @Broz on the long legs. I think they are way better for hunting. In fact I've never wanted a shorter bipod while hunting but there have been times I needed longer.

I really don't think you can go wrong with Harris, Javelin, Atlas, or Modular Evolution. Pick whichever one you think fits your budget and style of hunting best and get shooting.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Take a look at Thunder Beast Arms (TBAC) bipod. I used a B&T Atlas bipod (BT10-LW17) for years and was happy with it. A friend of mine got the TBAC and we started shooting it side by side with the Atlas. We shot paper at 100, 600 and 1,000 yards and measured groups with Ballistic-X. We shot steel out to a little over 1,200 yards. We both had measurable (relatively small) improvement. Enough that I ended up selling the Atlas and getting the TBAC. I continue to believe the TBAC is a better bipod. For a couple of reasons; 1) there’s no panning feature, 2) the cant adjustment is more precise, 3) the centerline of the bore is below the apex of the angles formed by the legs. As opposed to the centerline of the bore being above the apex. From my perspective, bipods really do matter. Regarding ‘lightweight’ bipods, I think they have only one advantage....they’re easier to pack around while hunting. Otherwise, they’re outperformed in every other category. For me, the trade offs aren’t worth it for a decrease in weight. It’s kinda like comparing an ultralight rifle to a 10-11 pound rifle when shooting at extended ranges. If you’re going to pack a bipod on your hunts....accept a small weight penalty for your bipod and cut a couple of ounces somewhere else.

DB Cooper

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Rugged Ridge Bipod and an Atlas. They are both great. The Atlas is better because it has the ability for you to cant your gun to get it level while you are on the gun. This action is not too loose, the gun will stop and level where you want it to.

The rugged ridge adjust its legs faster (height) and seems sturdier. But to really adjust the cant of the rifle you have to come off the gun.

Both great models

Block

WKR
Harris S-25 is a great hunting bipod.. from predators to deer mine have been great...

they are not the most comfortable to carry on ur shoulder tho I don’t think any bipods are...little heavy as well for long hikes but worth it when you don’t have anything else for a rest. I tried the swagger bipods and hated them...

Believe it or not these cheap Amazon bipods are pretty dang nice!!! They are basically Carbon Fiber copies of Harris. Not tall enuf for sitting (predator hunting) but works great for prone shots. If you just wana try something very similar to Harris for dirt cheap grab one for $25. The “Zeadio” has tilt and I like it better.

Last edited:

archp625

WKR
Ill throw in my two cents. I was in the same boat and went with a Atlas CAL Tall. It is so nice and well built. There are others out there that are like the Atlas though. If you were wanting something super light weight look at the Spartan Javalin bipods.

I’ve been through 4, Harris, atlas, Rugged ridge bipod, and the evolution bipod.

I always come back to atlas, yes they are expensive - but in a quick reaction type scenario it is the quickest bipod to deploy for me - with 1 hand!
With the rugged ridge and evo I constantly had two hands on the bipod messing with legs/feet, etc.

seconds can count where I hunt, I like simplicity and quick - atlas does that for me

Always used harris, 6-9 SBRM with a pod lock is the way to go. Only issue I had was my legs froze up in Idaho this year and wouldn’t extend. Over all not bad. Whatever size you decide, get one with notched legs and a swivel then add a pod lock. The factory tensioner sucks.

I continue to use Atlas and the Evo bipod. Both are really good, and very universal. I lean towards the Atlas, as I like the panning function. The Harris bipod is another great choice, but find myself using the Atlas or Evo. It comes down to preference for the shooter.

bigdude

FNG
The Tier-One Tactical Bipod is not mentioned but is definitely my favorite. Lighweight at 9.70 ounces which includes the M-Lok mount. It has carbon fiber legs and can pan and tilt. This model in the picture that I own does not pan. Legs deploy with a button.

50708584926_18c407e09d_b.jpg

50707851793_16cd3c50dd_h.jpg

HuntnPack

WKR
The Tier-One Tactical Bipod is not mentioned but is definitely my favorite. Lighweight at 9.70 ounces which includes the M-Lok mount. It has carbon fiber legs and can pan and tilt. This model in the picture that I own does not pan. Legs deploy with a button.
Do you know of any USA dealers?

carter33

WKR

50708584926_18c407e09d_b.jpg

50707851793_16cd3c50dd_h.jpg

I also have a tier one and it is great, I would say it is just as stable as the Atlas I have. Though I did expect it to come in a slightly lighter based on the stated weight on the website. It was actually an ounce or to heavier making the difference between it and the Atlas negligible to all but maybe the most anal ounce counter. Have you weighed yours? Like a few others I keep grabbing the Atlas, I also like that you have to press to pull the legs down where you do not with the tier one.

I recently bought the Spartan Valhalla and while it seems pretty awesome in many aspects it seems to have a little more wiggle to it than the tier one and Atlas. I only have a little shooting time behind it though with a .22 so I’m not set in my opinion yet.

The OP mentioned shooting to 1000 and if you’re doing that I would go with something sturdier than the Spartan javelin. You can certainly do it with the javelin and I have but it won’t give you the consistency the other more stable and heavy bipods will. Though I do think it is an awesome hunting tool even for what I would consider long range hunting.

***tried to add a picture of the weight of my tier one bipod on a scale but it said it was too large to upload. The weight was 11 3/8 ounces