Bipod comparisons?

Bipods are so ”yesterday” LOL

Tripods like what Really Right Stuff is doing with their SOAR line are where it’s at...
You can get near bench rest accuracy and a lot more flexibility shooting off a modern tripod than lugging around a bipod on your rifle.

carter33

WKR
Bipods are so ”yesterday” LOL

Tripods like what Really Right Stuff is doing with their SOAR line are where it’s at...
You can get near bench rest accuracy and a lot more flexibility shooting off a modern tripod than lugging around a bipod on your rifle.

This is true but their are inherent negative aspects as well. One it takes longer to deploy and set up. Two you have to have that tripod with you truly the whole time. No dropping the pack and slinging the rifle on the shoulder unless you’re gonna hand carry the tripod.

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
For most of the hunting we do, we need pods that can be used seated or prone. After using a tall Harris, which is really too tall for my taste when shooting prone and is fiddly to setup quickly for a seated shot, we tried a Hatch this year. The Hatch is tall enough to use seated, is fast to adjust, but also goes very low with it's wide spread or even forward canted legs. I plan to do a review later this year comparing it to my tall Harris, but in short, while there are a few things I don't like about it and some areas for improvement, overall, I think it is the best solution I have seen for a fast to deploy bipod that is useful throughout the height range.

Doubtless, there are more sturdy solutions for shooting prone long range, and a tripod would be more sturdy for seated, but the Hatch has a balance that for hunters, it seems to me, hits the best middle ground and does both admirably.

In terms of prone, it was more than steady enough for me to make shots on targets at over a mile this year, and easily handled the shot I got on my bull at over 450 yards.

If you consider the Hatch, they now have two choices for how to attach to a pic rail. Their proprietary clamp is not adjustable for differing rail widths, it's just a push button and appears to work very fast...but it's best you use one of their rails or one of the brands they have verified it works with .

The other choice that is new this year is one that comes with an ADM lever lock mount. This is what I purchased, as I have various mounts on various rifles. Worked as I would expect from an ADM mount.

HuntnPack

WKR
Mallard, thx for the link. Seen that one in my search also. Contact is based in UK?
Was hoping to find stateside dealer outlets
That may carry or stock the bipod.

I just got a hatch in the mail this week (from the classifieds here 😃). So far just played around with it. Easy and quiet to adjust from low prone to sitting, with plenty of extra height to spare if you have a slope to shoot off of. Like mentioned above it seems ideal for a hunting bipod. Majority of my shots end up being taken from shooting sticks, sitting...so this bipod will mean simplifying my setup and getting a more stable platform for prone compared to just using my pack. Cons would be there is a little bit of play in some of the mechanisms. I’m not sure if they come this when when new or not. It’s still makes for a solid rest and the play is not evident when you’re behind the gun. I think it’s probably a necessary trade off for the design.

I have both a Harris and an Atlas. Bipod is a non-negotiable piece of equipment for me. I really like the Atlas in that I can keep it in a pocket on my backpack and deploy it when I get to where I might need it. That is kind of a hassle with the Harris. It’s kind of a pain to carry a gun with either of them on there because of the added weight but if you’re doing it that way the nod goes to Harris as it’s easier to get the legs out and ready. If I’m going to take a shot that requires a bipod I usually seem to have plenty of time to get ready for it. I seriously doubt I’ll ever take the Harris out hunting again, the Atlas is a way more stable platform and is better in every way. I have the raider cleats and I recommend them.

I have both a Harris and an Atlas. Bipod is a non-negotiable piece of equipment for me. I really like the Atlas in that I can keep it in a pocket on my backpack and deploy it when I get to where I might need it. That is kind of a hassle with the Harris. It’s kind of a pain to carry a gun with either of them on there because of the added weight but if you’re doing it that way the nod goes to Harris as it’s easier to get the legs out and ready. If I’m going to take a shot that requires a bipod I usually seem to have plenty of time to get ready for it. I seriously doubt I’ll ever take the Harris out hunting again, the Atlas is a way more stable platform and is better in every way. I have the raider cleats and I recommend them.
You can put an ADM picatinny adapter on a harris.
Thats how I'm running rite now. With the Morse spike feet.

I dont see mentions of the swagger in here. Anyone using and liking them? I've generally used shooting sticks in the past and picked up the swagger hunter 29 thinking it would be a nice combo of bipod and sticks but havent loved it as a prone bipod after a few range trips. Looking into an atlas or rugged ridge now and debating those two

chicoredneck

Lil-Rokslider
Reviving this old thread. I have magpul bipods on my rifles, but have a new rifle being put together that’s going to go into XLR 4.0 chassis.

I want a bipod set up that is reasonably light, attaches to an Arca-Swiss rail, and is sturdy enough for long range precision shooting. Any suggestions?