Bipod options

gethuntin

WKR
Just wondering if their s a bipod system that can easily be removed and reinstalled other than the versa pod? I use shooting stiks for most of my hunting but if a longer shot presented itself that a bipod would work I would like to have one in my pack and not hanging on my rifle. That's my main gripe about the versa pod theirs the adapter is heavy and clunky for not using it very often.

IAHNTR

WKR
Lots of people use and trust Harris bipods for long range shooting. These are not the lightest by any means, but are reasonably priced, good features and are sturdy. I'm getting into LR shooting and just picked up a Harris S series 9-13 for my LR rifle. The S stands for swivel. This feature lets you tilt the gun left and right to get the gun level on uneven ground. I got the 9"-13" size because I will mostly use this in the prone position. If you think you will be sitting or there will be taller vegetation a different size might be better. The one I got has the notched legs, and so far I like it better than the Harris I have that doesn't have the notched legs. It seems easier to set the leg height, but is a personal preference type deal. I also picked up a pod loc from Defensive Edge which lets you lock the left right tilt once you get the gun level. A handy little item for sure. This style bipod attaches to the sling stud that might already be on your rifle and can be both attached and removed in 30 seconds, but probably faster. I don't have much experience with other styles of bipods because these have worked so well that I haven't needed to really look else where. Another thing to mention is that this bipod doesn't take much forward travel of the body to "load" a little force into the bipods legs in order to gain a more solid hold. You could do a google search on this because I have seen this topic come up in a few forums and some threads might pop up for ya.

I don't have any experience with the atlas bipod but it comes off and on really easily because it attaches to a picatiny style mount. check out some you tube videos on it

mk_v

WKR
I have the atlas and the the Harris notched leg. If it were me I'd take the Harris hunting instead of the atlas. Not that I don't like the atlas. The Harris for me deploys faster and more smoothly. The legs on the atlas you pull a detent knob and extent the leg, also to get the bipod legs down push a button to get it to the position you like. The Harris has spring loaded legs to just pull down to engage, and a push button to release the the spring loaded legs to the height you want. Both are very good bipods but if I was using a bipod hunting I would opt for the Harris. At the range I like the atlas, it has some very nice features. I also found the notched leg swivel Harris to be more user friendly than the smooth leg. Hope it helps you really can't go wrong with Harris or atlas

OP
G

gethuntin

WKR
I have used a Harris a long time ago and remember it being a very good bipod but i just dont remember if it was easy to install and remove for a hunting application. It is more in my price range. I thought i remember seeing picture of a gun that had a small rail mounted in the sling studs that a bipod mounted to but no idea the name brand.

mk_v

WKR
I have used a Harris a long time ago and remember it being a very good bipod but i just dont remember if it was easy to install and remove for a hunting application. It is more in my price range. I thought i remember seeing picture of a gun that had a small rail mounted in the sling studs that a bipod mounted to but no idea the name brand.

Yes they use the two sling studs, you unscrew the stud and replace with screws to hold the rail. I have a few set ups with rails if you want a picture to see what it looks like

KMD

Banned
I have both Harris & Altas bipods.
Harris in 6-9" is fine for flat ground shooting, but the 9-13" seems to be alot more useable on uneven ground. I prefer the swivel style bipods, and all are outfitted with KMW Pod-Locs to snug down on uneven ground.
The design of the Atls bipod allows for more "pre-loading" of the rifle, as compared to a Harris. I've found that to be advantageous when shooting prone. The Atlas is slower to deploy and get the leg height set, as compared to the Harris, but the LR game is not a rush affair. IMHO, plenty of time to get set to make a high % shot...

The Atlas bipods are mounted to a short rail, under the forearm. I prefer the fixed version, over the QD mount option. It takes 10 seconds with a screwdriver to mount to the Atlas rail...
GAP243009-1.jpg

79E4EB2A-C7DC-4730-B0D4-EB7553721135_zpsx7p8mbs5.jpg

Harris are easy to pop onto the front sling stud. But they do offer a QD rail mount, if your stock is so equipped...