Bipod or no bipod?

What is your preferred setup? Shooting off a pack with/ without rear bag?

My preferred shooting position is the open leg military sitting position. For longer shots - those over 400 yards - I incorporate some sort of fore-end rest, regardless of position; either a tree, or a rock, a ledge, a bush, an ice axe, a packframe, whatever is handiest and quickest to employ.

JHDoritos

FNG
I think the way to go is an arca swiss plate on your rifle stock and you can utilize the tripod you most likely are already packing in. Ive started using a bipod on my rifles the past couple years but the tripod would defintely help if you had an uphill shot that wasnt possible from prone. thinking about adding that plate to my rifle

Hoff

FNG
For me its either my pack or tripod. I got a v-shaped support that looks like the top of a bipod that goes onto the tripod. But I'd rather do an arca plate direct to the gun stock- just dont know how to make that connection. Any tips?

Always used a Harris bipod, but I’m really liking the new Atlas I just bought. I don’t fully get the weight issue, I can think of a lot better ways to cut down on weight. JMO

SoDak19

FNG
I mounted an adaptor on the bottom of my rifle that allows me to snap right onto the same tripod I use for glassing. I try to bring as few items as possible that only serve a single small purpose but add extra weight on the hikes and that is just what a bipod is to me. Im able to get more stable on the tripod than I am on the bipod as well.

hunterjmj

WKR
I normally shoot off my pack but did buy the spartan javelin last year for my wife's first antelope hunt and that thing is sweet. I used it deer hunting and what I liked most about it was setting my rifle down while glassing or digging through my pack or whatever. Keeps the rifle off the ground and it weighs so little it's not noticeable. I keep it in the back pocket of my Bino harness where it's not in the way but easy get to. My wife used it for a 250 yard shot on a little buck antelope and it worked out great.