Bipod or no bipod?

If you're on the fence I like spartan precision bipod's. They are light and can be taken off the rifle when not in use. Plus you can always throw it on the rifle in a pinch with the magnetic system it uses.

I have the 1st Gen Spartan long and I really like it. I put the gun smith adapter in a couple of my guns, the mlok adapter on an AR and I can put the sling stud adapter on any others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
I don't go out without a bipod and a lightweight rear bag. For laying prone its the most stable you can get. Always better to have multiple points of contact. If I have to get higher, usually shoot off a tripod that gun mounts to via arca rail. Pack is another option but usually last option. I've shot off double stacked packs sitting on my butt, was successful but not ideal for longer range shots.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Depends on the hunt. I just ordered an atlas, I hated the Spartan. It didn’t feel very stable and that big old thing you need to attach it to the rifle tore up my jackets.

I was able to get pretty steady with my current set up. Been running the Spartan precision stuff for 2 years. It’s steady with an mlok attachment currently. Started with the hunt lite version. Like it but not for shots on hills, I.e lots of vertical loss or gain. Only because of the fixed legs. So I replaced the fixed with the pro legs for hill adjustments.

I run an ulfhednar little rear bag that fits in one hand gripped. Those two things so far and I’m decently steady.

I love the bipod but I’m also a shooter that leans into the bipod. To me it’s the best lightweight ish bipod that I can lean into for a solid rest. The little carbide tips seem to grip into almost everything accept smooth interior floor.

I say this all as a Sirui tripod is being shipped to my door with the Spartan precision Davros head attachment. Might make me forget about a bipod.

SDHNTR

WKR
The more I shoot with my Atlas, the more my Hatch frustrates me. The Hatch is a great concept and certainly much more versatile for hunting use, but the design and execution is very frustrating to me! The head is not adjustable so there are some pic rails where it won’t fit. The leg design uses a nut and friction to hold it in place. So with the nut loose enough to be able to freely actuate the legs, that introduces slop to the system and the associated wiggle to the legs. And the pull design to move leg position is annoying. Again with the nut tight enough to be stable, pulling requires some hand strength and coordination to move the legs. My son struggles with it. Silly design. Why it doesn’t have a simple button to push is beyond me. If Atlas offered a “hunting” model with longer legs to use sitting they’d own the market.

S-3 ranch

WKR
I won't leave the house without a bipod no matter what i'm hunting. I am considerably more stable shooting off of a bipod as opposed to a backpack. To each their own but that bipod is well worth its weight IMO.
Same here bipod!
I guided for pronghorn in Texas and New Mexico for years and always
requested my clients try to carry them.

TheGDog

WKR
Just the Kwik Stix. VERY light and easy to yank out of a long side pocket on the pack and deploy pretty dang fast since shock-corded. I don't shoot any long-range. And I'd feel I'd do Ok on those to like probably 250yds. For my skill level, 300yds might be stretching it, on those thin stix. Kinda depends on wind too. But I've rarely needed to reach-out much more than 100yds in any of my hunting adventures so far. But that will likely change since last year I decided to switch-up to try a more Alpine habitat. Realized I'm going to need to practice to get comfortable to like... maybe even 400yd.

But anyway, if shots are longer than the Kwik stix are good for, ya figure ya probably got time to setup with pack anyway, and it should be more stable too.

I switched over to Outdoorsman's as an experiment to see if more comfortable on my lumbar injury, and their frame for the pack has that V-notch built in it, just for that purpose. So figure that way have some redundancy in case lose the sticks or don't have enough time to bother with pulling them out in the heat of the moment or something.

But if the goal is predators, unless I think it's a bit of a tough hike to get in where I'd like to call and weight starts being a concern for the trip, typically I'll bring that Primos trigger stick short tripod. It's a lil heavy, but when you want/need to setup on a slope up high overlooking the caller, that thing works much nicer.

And the nice big feet on that Trigger stick work much better than the thin Kwik Stix especially if the area has softer soil to it.

When sinking-in is a problem for the Kwik Stix, you can usually find a tuft of grass or sprouting something-or-other to be the base for placing one of the feet so it won't sink on it, since the roots will hold the soil together better. Or maybe you place a glove down, or put one of the feet on the end of your packs belt as it lays there beside you.

One of my favs though is when you get lucky and spot something before it spots you and you can just creep on up and place your rifle against a tree and pin it against the tree with your supporting hand.

repins05

WKR
Hunted with a bipod my entire life. Took it off last year.......and found that I can't handle laying the rifle on the ground...or against a tree etc..... 100percent back to a bipod for the basic purpose of setting it down quickly so I can glass.