Bipod or sticks

drewp00

FNG
What’s everyone’s go to when out in wide open country hunting antelope...bipod or shooting sticks?

ChasinDoes

Lil-Rokslider
Curious to what people have to say as well. Been thinking about pulling the trigger on a spartan bi-pod

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I've always used a bipod or my pack. I carry a tripod too. That will change as I am looking at some other options including the spartan set up. Something that will get me from prone to sitting/kneeling.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mt Al

WKR
Harris bi-pod for 20+ years. Using your pack works great, sticks work great. I use the tallest bipod due to deep grass, few, if any prone shooting opportunities (of course, other than the last antelope I shot...was prone).

WCB

WKR
I shoot off my pack for prone shots and actually shot that I have to get higher I just stand my pack in front of my and shoot sitting down.

However, I would get a longer bipod that you can sit down and shoot with or a good set of sticks. Nothing more frustrating than laying down to shoot and not be able to see the animal. If weight doesn't matter go with a longer bipod.

RazAlGhoul

Lil-Rokslider
The bipod is more stable because it resists to a certain degree fore/aft movement. The shooting sticks only resist left/right movement. Which one is better for WY is a different story and depends on the type hunting you'll be doing.

rclouse79

WKR
Bipod on my gun for longer shots when I have time to set up. I also carry a promos trigger stick for closer shots that have to be quick. It is better than off hand and also doubles as a nice rest for your binos when taking a quick look.

bmf0713

WKR
I like using my tall trigger stick tripod. You can use it for shooting and/or spotting scope.

Harris tall bipod on the rifle with rear bag and also carry shooting sticks when in the tall sage...considering strongly the primos trigger stick tripod, that speed of adjustment looks like the bees knees. Anyone else running that tripod as a dual threat shooting/optics stabilizer?

Jimss

WKR
Just about every antelope I've harvested over the years has been either prone on the ground with rifle on top of my backpack. I almost always make a point when I'm stalking to make sure a bush, rock, or mound is in front of me to hide my stalk and rest backpack on when I hit a small knoll. If I need to get above brush or tall grass I'll place my rifle on my spotting scope that is on my tripod. I ALWAYS have my spotter and tripod with me and might as well use it when I can't shoot prone rather than lugging around a bipod or shooting sticks.

Another word of advice.....if you are hunting in Wyo where the wind usually blows 364 days a year you better try your best to find a spot to shoot prone!

Big Ern

WKR
neither. tripod with arca swiss mounting plate set-up for leveling base and rifle.

Can shoot prone with the tripod if needed, but usually just use my pack and the tripod leg for rear support.

neither. tripod with arca swiss mounting plate set-up for leveling base and rifle.

Can shoot prone with the tripod if needed, but usually just use my pack and the tripod leg for rear support.
Ditto, this is the way forward. Arca, or Spartan if you want something lower profile.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

I’ve used all sorts of things, gun mounted bipod, bog pod, pack, tripod rest and probably others.

I don’t use the mounted bipod anymore because it’s just bulky, catches on things and isn’t as convienent as it should be in my opinion. Bog pod is great, really good. But I carry a tripod for my glass, and it’s just one more thing to carry solo. If I have a partner, one of us carry’s the bog pod, other carry’s glass and this works well. Never really been a fan of the safari stick things but the few guys that use them seem to like them. I’ve toyed around with a gun mount for my glassing tripod but really, unless I’m alone, me or partner is always using it to watch the hit. Everyone has their own preference and it generally changes depending on whose all in the hunting party

archp625

WKR
I was just out in Wyoming last fall. If you do decide to go with a bipod, don't get a 6-9". You will need a taller one. If it were me, I would get one that will go to 13" and be able to shoot off of a tripod. The sage brush is taller than you think. Those two options will have you covered.

I have a Harris bipod that extends to a max of 27”. Works great for me while chasing goats in WY. Couldn’t imagine trying to hunt them without it.

Gumbo

WKR
Shooting sticks for me, the folding, aluminum tent pole style. They are small, I can get rock-solid with them very quickly, they work great in uneven terrain, and I can shoot over vegetation if needed. But then again I don't really shoot very far compared to the snipers of today, 300 or so is my limit.

Glendine

Lil-Rokslider
Hi drewp00,

There are sadly no Antelope in my neck of the woods, But I have experience hunting three different deer species and none are prone to looking forward to being your next dinner!

I use a Spartan precision Quadstick system showing in the attached photo. Its light weight and a Swiss army knife of shooting systems it can be a bipod, tripod, quad system. Its super stable.

Regards,
Glendine.

Attachments

• IMG_2902.JPG
    IMG_2902.JPG
    347.6 KB · Views: 49