Bipod recommendations

May seem simple, but wanted to ask. What it the optimum height of bipod to run, and any specific models to look at?

I was thinking I've read the 6-9" Harris to too short to be practical in the field, while the next size up was almost too tall at the lowest height? Square me away please.

I run a 6-9 Harris with swivel, leg notches, and a pod-loc on all of my rifles. I like to get as low as possible. If the 9" is too short in the mountains, 13" probably is, too. I will "build" my position with flat rocks, paperback book, dirt, or whatever it takes to pull it off. If it's still too low, I will shoot over my pack. I practice both ways, but much prefer a bipod with rear bag. The pack with a rear bag works for me out to 1k usually, though.

Some rifles, by their design, require the use of at least a 9-13 bipod, like the DE LRKM.

6-9" Harris for bench work or prairie dog towns.

9-13" for hunting. Far more versatile for getting above ground litter or in some snow. I dont hunt big game with a rifle, but I shoot a heap of coyotes, and the 9-13" covers ya in the majority of conditions. If its still to low, youre most likely going to have to go to sticks, or a 13-25" bipod and sit (which sucks).

Like Sam, I like to get as low as possible, but in the field its easy to be to low and in my experience, 6" is about worthless in 99% of field conditions.

I run the same set up as Sam and haven't had many issues with 6-9" model. If I need to get higher than the 9" than I'm needing to be in a sitting position which the 9-12 won't get me anyway.

Broz

WKR
I find for most of the terrain I hunt that 9~13 works best for me. It runs between the lowest setting on 9" and the first two notches higher most of the time. I too like to get as low as possible but found the 6~9 was fully extended a lot of the time and a 9~13 at the lowest setting was quite a bit more stable than a 6~9 on the highest setting. We seem to take a lot of shots at uphill grades. That will have you extending the legs.

By all means a Harris and a swivel model and add the pod lock

And yes, I field tested the Atlas on more than 3 different outings. Then removed it and went happily back to my Harris 9~13 swivel. The Atlas was sloppy in for and aft movement, required 3" extensions that made it even sloppier. Not to mention the god awful lock that was hard to use. But hey they do have a great Tacticool look to them.

Jeff

Atlas is code for "extremely over priced and overrated".

Just dont say that on a certain "sniper" site. The tacticool boys will tar and feather ya.

I would also add the Sinclair tactical bipod to the list of Tatcicool bipods that suck for hunting:)

You are basically going to have to decide where you are going to be shooting, then pick the height for you. If you are on flat ground (which isn't really flat), grass fields, or shooting up a lot, the 6" probably won't work( last year in Wyoming, I kept having to get above the goats to set up!). The vast majority of my shots are taken ridge to ridge across canyons or down into basins or clearcuts. I like to be above the target if at all possible. I can build a position to elevate the bipod some if I need to, and I try to never extend the legs more than two notches. Most of my shots are with one notch out. Your build and the stock design has a lot to do with this.

Get both and see what works for you. Harris bipods hold their value very well if you decide to get rid of one of them. I still own a 9-13, but haven't used it in years. It might get parked under a LRKM some day...

Make the terrain work for you!

Out of total speculation as i haven't used it, is the preload feature on the atlas. i know guys who say it reduces muzzle jump because of it. gunwerks has a video on it as well but man they are spendy.

Broz

WKR
Yep, I watched that video. It just does not work that way for me, especially when we leave the nice flat ground and go afield hunting. We set two rifles up side by side on a bench. Muzzles at the same height. One with a Harris one with the Atlas. Then we slid them back and forth not letting the legs slide but measuring the slack in each system. The Atlas had way more slack, like double. This slack makes forward preload of the bipod very hard to get in some shooting positions. Then we evaluated where this slack was coming from. A large percentage was from the sloppy fit of the pin you have to push it to position the legs. The Harris has no pin so you just pull them out. So the Harris does not have all the leg positions the Atlas does, but you know what? I only use one position 99% of the time so the multiple positions are not important to me. Looks good on paper or in videos but in the real world it is faster and more convenient for me to just grad the leg on the Harris and flop it out. But anyway the loose fit of the pin and notch of the Atlas makes for a huge amount of slack fore and aft. I shot on flat ground like in the video first and only at 200 yards. I was ok there. But when I started moving out to longer distances and extending the legs the slack increased and went overboard when you add the Atlas 3" extensions too. To get the same height adjustment range of the Harris 9~13 I had to add the 3" extensions yet remove them to get back to the lower settings. You need to depress a small pin with a nail or something to remover the rubber foot, add the extension them replace the foot. Two remove them depress two pins per side. Not something you want to do in the heat of the moment if needed in the field. The 3" leg extensions (another $50) fit very loosely too. Now more slack in the system and the stability is weakening. But here is my biggest grip and what sent me back to the Harris shaking my head from all the Atlas review hype I had read. You extend your Atlas, add the 3" legs and set up for an ELR shot with an uphill grade and you are on a slight incline at point of fire. A very common scenario where I hunt. You get all set , dig in your toes and push forward to preload the bipod. But you can't get there. You need to keep pushing and crawling from all the slack in the leg system of the Atlas. Then you shoot once and need to crawl back forward again for another shot. This is just my personal opinion of the Atlas for my needs. Others may like it, but it was not acceptable for me. So I went back to the Harris and I am happy now.

Jeff

Last edited:

aron

WKR
I have an Atlas and a Harris bipod. I will take the harris any day of the week for hunting and don't really care at the range. I would save your money on the Atlas. I pref the 9-13" height with a pod lock for my hunting needs.