Bipod suggestion

I am considering adding a bipod to my rifle this season. I have never used one and I need recommendations as to what the best options are. First, What height range should I be looking at? I plan on using it solely in the prone position. Second, I'm looking for a quality built and functional unit that is priced reasonably. Third, it needs to mount to the rifle easily preferably to the sling mount so I can use my sling and remove it quickly if need be. Suggestions???

Thank you

Cinch

Lil-Rokslider
For prone use I’d get either the Harris HBRMS or the Harris HBLMS...Sitting or kneeling the Harris HB25CS...

HBRMS is 6-9” swivel
HBLMS is 9-13” swivel
HB25CS is 13.5-27” swivel

You’ll also want to add a pod lok to these...

I’d be more then happy to send you one of each to try out and see if they’ll work for you before you make a purchase...

Last edited:
I'm no bipod expert, so take my suggest for what its worth, but a friend of mine just recently bought the one in the link below and absolutely loves it, and I picked one up as well but havent got to use it yet.

The quick attach is awesome - you can toss the bipod in your pack if you don't want to hike with it on, and it literally takes 3 seconds to clip on. Also, your sling attaches to the stud rather than through the bipod itself. The thing is built like a tank and has a bunch of different positions. I don't know what it weighs compared to the higher end ones, but I would guess its a little heavier, but I don't mind a few extra ounces. The company also sells the mounts separate, so you can put them on multiple guns and just use the one bipod and easily switch back and fourth. My buddy and I each bought the 8"-12.4".

Also, at $38, the price is hard to beat!

Amazon.com: UTG Tactical OP Bipod, QD Lever Mount, Height 8.0-12.4": UTG: Sports & Outdoors

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use a 9-13" one from tiptop that is pan and tilt all in one, ~$60 if I recall right, its held up perfectly fine for a few years for me. I have dual sling studs on most of my rifles so the bipod mount is independent of the stud I use for the sling.

OP
B
For prone use I’d get either the Harris HBRMS or the Harris HBLMS...Sitting or kneeling the Harris HB25CS...

HBRMS is 6-9” swivel
HBLMS is 9-13” swivel
HB25CS is 13.5-27” swivel

You’ll also want to add a pod lok to these...

I’d be more then happy to send you one of each to try out and see if they’ll work for you before you make a purchase...

Thank you for the suggestions. It is very generous for you to offer to let me handle one before hand. I believe Sportsman's carries them so I can get my hands on one locally.

I will also look at the other suggested.

How do you guys like using a Bipod? I have traditionally shot off a Pack if Possible but a bipod seems more sturdy. Do you guys mostly use them shooting from Prone?

JohnnyB

WKR
I think shooting off your pack can be a very stable position. I do use bipods while hunting and most recently went with a Javelin bipod. If you are weight sensitive at all, I highly recommend the Javelin. If you don’t care about weight, Harris will save you a bunch of money.

Cinch

Lil-Rokslider
I use a bipod quite often...you’ll always find situations where they don’t work...but you can always leave them folded up and still shoot off your pack no problem...

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I go prone whenever I can and enjoy using a bipod to really stabilize the gun. Nice to have it setup on target with a rear rest (pouch from my bad) and to be and to let go of the gun and it stays put.

OP
B
I go prone whenever I can and enjoy using a bipod to really stabilize the gun. Nice to have it setup on target with a rear rest (pouch from my bad) and to be and to let go of the gun and it stays put.

This is my thought exactly, Seems like it would be a very steady rest. Do you ever feel the minimum 9" is to tall? Trying to decide between 6"-9" or 9"-13".

Last edited:

Cinch

Lil-Rokslider
Cinch, What function does the Pod Lock add?

These bipods have a swivel feature...you can rock them side to side to get level...as issued there is a small knurled knob to lock it down in place...the pod lok is an aftermarket lever that replaces the knurled knob to give you more leverage to lock it in place...the knob doesn’t gove enough leverage to lock it solid

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
Harris with a podlock is sort of the standard. But it's definitely heavy and will really change the balance of your rifle. Javelin is the lightest but very expensive. I have both...I mostly just end up shooting off my pack.

OP
B
Well, after a bit more research I think im going to buy a 9-13 inch model. This should give me some more flexibility to get the gun over brush if need be. Thoughts?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Well, after a bit more research I think im going to buy a 9-13 inch model. This should give me some more flexibility to get the gun over brush if need be. Thoughts?

That is the size I would go with for hunting. The shorter one is better for bench work but doesn't work very well in the field imo.

bigdude

FNG
I know this is an old thread but when it comes to bipods I have owned almost every single one; Harris, Atlas (several models), Spartan 300, Evolution, Javelin and Tier-One Tactical. The characteristics I look for in bipods are light weight and push-button leg deployment. I did not like the Spartan 300 bipod because even though it was very light the leg deployment was manual. The Tier-One Tactical bipod, as of today, is my favorite bipod. The Tier-One only weighs 10.6 oz (including hardware and attachment adapter) and has push-button leg deployment. The machining is excellent but the down side is the price, $400. I know that most hunters and LR shooters will not pay that for a bipod. But you know what they say, "you get what you pay for".

I know this is an old thread but when it comes to bipods I have owned almost every single one; Harris, Atlas (several models), Spartan 300, Evolution, Javelin and Tier-One Tactical. The characteristics I look for in bipods are light weight and push-button leg deployment. I did not like the Spartan 300 bipod because even though it was very light the leg deployment was manual. The Tier-One Tactical bipod, as of today, is my favorite bipod. The Tier-One only weighs 10.6 oz (including hardware and attachment adapter) and has push-button leg deployment. The machining is excellent but the down side is the price, $400. I know that most hunters and LR shooters will not pay that for a bipod. But you know what they say, "you get what you pay for".

I have never picked up on the tier one products, are they new? Looks like they design and make the new Zeiss scope mounts, which look well done. I would like to try one, but all of the pan tilt models are sold out.

What do you think about only the 2” range of extension on them? I hunt with my atlas PSR 7-13” model and find myself extending it fairly often and shooting up hill... But, I hate the idea of the 9-11” Tier one model for anything down hill. I think the 9” height would be too tall for that and would not be comfortable at the range either. Then again, the 7-9” might not be tall enough.

Can you can’t the legs forward and back like an atlas as well to get a lower height if needed?

Any thoughts there since you’ve used them?