Bipod/tripod Shooting setup for Wyoming

Wondering what you guys prefer for shooting setup. Heading out to Wyoming first time. I will have a harris 9-13 and a short trigger stick bipod for sitting. I also need a tripod for glassing. Would i be best going with a tall & short tripod trigger stick or something like a manfrotto/sirui where i can sit or stand glassing and use as a rest? Any recommendations on a manfrotto/sirui model?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
check out wiser precision quick stix. I always have trekking poles in the mountains and these things are awesome to have on the back of the rifle I combine them with my tripod. Tripod adapter on front end quick stix on the back it’s rock solid.

WYCFM1

WKR
I have a sirui carbon tripod I use for glassing. Instead of carrying a bipod for my rifle I just use a bog pod Death grip shooting rest and mount it to my sirui for steady shots. Then when I need to go back to glass I pull it off and put my outdoorsmans short tripod optic adapter on. Saves the weight of a bipod and offers a very sturdy rest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jimss

WKR
If you've spent much time in Wyo you learn in a hurry the wind HOWLS! Shooting closer to the ground as possible is by far the best route to go. My preference is to shoot from a prone position off my backpack. I'm not getting any younger and also don't like carrying added weight of a bipod or tripod on my rifle or in my backpack. I usually stalk game with my final approach in an area that is open where I can shoot prone off my backpack. I always have my tripod plus spotting scope with me for field judging and shoot off my tripod/spotter if it's impossible to shoot in tall brush or grass.

Some really good posts already. The Quick Stix are nice. So now you’ll have questions about trekking poles. Lol

If you are shooting unless it’s a spur of the moment shot while you were walking you shouldn’t be standing. Get lower. Because of ground cover, grass and brush I prefer to sit when shooting. Also you can’t lay down when facing downhill in steeper terrain.

As far as the rest/spotter tripod I use one tool for both. Gun rest/spotting scope mount, binocular mount. A Bog Pod Adrenaline. Three legs are better than 2. I can glass and pop the spotter right out and drop the gun in. Weight isn’t bad and it’s built to handle some abuse. I have the spotting scope adapter and this sling stud mount which both slip into the Switcheroo hole on the tripod.

Attachments

• D354769C-1B0F-40A8-A16C-993200533036.jpeg
    D354769C-1B0F-40A8-A16C-993200533036.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 330BF769-9ADE-41FE-ABCF-D4586C1C9726.jpeg
    330BF769-9ADE-41FE-ABCF-D4586C1C9726.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
I have a vortex tripod and practiced some prone positions this weekend with the normal head at a weird angle to kinda cradle the rifle. It wasn't super solid, but with some type of fork mount on the tripod it would be ok. If I can find the right bino cradle to double as a rifle rest, I can use the pod for prone up to standing shots, I also have trekking pole adapters but really only work well for sitting or low kneeling.

wytx

WKR
If you are taking a tripod for the scope anyway then get a mount for it to shoot off of, the Bog Pod options look great for both shooting and spotting. You will have a pack on to carry it so use that for your prone shooting .
I personally use a 12-25 Harris bipod for everything and do not carry a spotter in the field.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Any of the tripods that you would use for glassing are OK. If you get one without a center column and the carbon fiber legs that's good. Get one with the highest weight rating vs total weight of tripod.

When it comes to howling wind, shoot off your pack or low off your tripod. Also, seated off my tripod I can shoot better than off a pack.

What kind of head do you want?
Are you OK with a ball head?
Any Sirui choice?

Grit2

Lil-Rokslider
I bought that BOG adrenaline tripod myself and it doesn't work as well as id like for my vortex diamondback hd spotter. The mounting pad goes the wrong way and while I love the premise of the switcheroo, it adds a lot of play to the system. I'm looking for a different tripod but I guess that's what I should have expected for the price...

Karmine

Lil-Rokslider
Some really good posts already. The Quick Stix are nice. So now you’ll have questions about trekking poles. Lol

If you are shooting unless it’s a spur of the moment shot while you were walking you shouldn’t be standing. Get lower. Because of ground cover, grass and brush I prefer to sit when shooting. Also you can’t lay down when facing downhill in steeper terrain.

As far as the rest/spotter tripod I use one tool for both. Gun rest/spotting scope mount, binocular mount. A Bog Pod Adrenaline. Three legs are better than 2. I can glass and pop the spotter right out and drop the gun in. Weight isn’t bad and it’s built to handle some abuse. I have the spotting scope adapter and this sling stud mount which both slip into the Switcheroo hole on the tripod.
What is the piece that you attach to your rifle?

I bought that BOG adrenaline tripod myself and it doesn't work as well as id like for my vortex diamondback hd spotter. The mounting pad goes the wrong way and while I love the premise of the switcheroo, it adds a lot of play to the system. I'm looking for a different tripod but I guess that's what I should have expected for the price...
The Bog tripods are nice. They're stable, durable and economical alternatives to tripods that cost hundreds of dollars. Their Switcheroo system and accessories are garbage. I installed a 3/8-16 to 1/4-20 adapter (Kirk Enterprise DS-1 1") to accept standard accessories. I added a Surui VA-5 head and put TY-70 plates (Arca Swiss) on my binos, spotter and rifle rest. It's super fast and easy to switch out as needed.
I have yet to shoot off the tripod since I much prefer to use my pack for prone and sitting. But for glassing, this setup is solid and steady.

Attachments

• 20210711_094454.jpg
    20210711_094454.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210711_100613.jpg
    20210711_100613.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I have been using a tripod for glassing and a Spartan bipod for shooting in WY the last couple years. I have the short legs and the 18ish" legs for the Spartan. I try to use the short legs from prone when I can but always seems it too low to clear sage and other brush...the longer legs shooting from the seated position has work well for Elk and antelope. Would worked for Mule deer to last year if I wasn't so picky on size....YMMV

drmatara

FNG
I have trekking poles in the mountains and these things are great to have on the back of the rifle, then i combine them with my vortex tripod. Tripod adapter on front end quick stix on the back it’s good to go.

Rich M

WKR
Keep it as simple as you can.

I ran a short bipod (8-13 or something like that) and a trigger stick. Didn't bring a spotter.

Shot antelope off bipod in 2017 (350 yards) and mule deer off trigger stick (sitting with elbows on knees) (220 yards) in 2019.

Got another trip coming up in the next few years - may bring a spotter - maybe. 10x binocs work pretty good if you keep it inside say a mile.

Jimss

WKR
As mentioned above, the simpler the better! I generally cover lots and lots of country and the less I have to carry the better. I took the Harris bipod off my rifle years ago. In most areas in wyo it is open country so no need to be off the ground. The wind is almost always blowing so 1 more reason to shoot prone!

I would say 85 to 90% of my shots have been prone shooting off my backpack and under 300 yards. If I’m under 300 yards and shooting prone off my backpack the buck, bull, billy, or ram is dead with 1 shot!

OP
UWbadger1013
As mentioned above, the simpler the better! I generally cover lots and lots of country and the less I have to carry the better. I took the Harris bipod off my rifle years ago. In most areas in wyo it is open country so no need to be off the ground. The wind is almost always blowing so 1 more reason to shoot prone!

I would say 85 to 90% of my shots have been prone shooting off my backpack and under 300 yards. If I’m under 300 yards and shooting prone off my backpack the buck, bull, billy, or ram is dead with 1 shot!
We're hinting north east Wyoming so not sure what that is like. I have a 12-25 harris as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk