Bipod, tripod, sticks?

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, booked my first elk trip last month to MT. Going with a guide, but eventually want to do a DIY hunt. Been to WY twice for antelope & Muley on DIY huntd, but chased them on the flats & hills in WY, nothing in the mountains. I'm wondering about a Swagger Bipod for sitting or standing, or just trying to use my pack setting it up vertically & basically hugging it while I sit--I can't decide.

First time in WY, I brought a taller monopod for the possibility of standing & small bipod for prone & figured my pack could be used for sitting...... The monopod sucked (used it more as a walking stick & bino rest). Never got the opportunity to sit (so my pack was never used for sitting). I ended up taking an awesome 15" goat at 110yds after army crawling 260 yds & two hours later to get close while he was bedded with a doe. I shot him prone with the bipod.

On my second trip, I purchased a tripod & thought the monopod could be used to keep the butt stock from wobbling. Again, didn't need it as I shot another buck prone. But again, I almost bought a Swagger Bipod. Anyone used one of these? Or suggest anything else? I like the possibility of being able to lay prone with the "crazy legs" but also lock em into place for sitting, or open them up for higher needs.....

I am trying to really practice good marksmanship without these aides by sitting, standing, kneeling & prone, but the increase in accuracy with the aides makes me feel more confident I won't wound the animal. I feel I owe the animal my best for a quick, clean & ethical shot.

A good rest is a MUST HAVE for elk. You’re exactly right you owe it to the elk... but also to yourself and to the guide who works to give you what might be your one opportunity to get it done.

This year I made a change. I bought a tripod because I wanted one tool that serves 3 purposes. Gun rest, binocular rest, and spotting scope rest. I had been using the Swagger QD40 up until now and carrying a separate tripod specifically for my spotter. Killed a bull at 405 yards off of the Swagger last year. It’s very well built. If you’re interested I’ll sell it to you at a good price... because I’m a gear junkie and can use the money for some other new toy! It’s in mint condition.

My previous rest before the Swagger. Just too bulky to pack. Yes I’m a firm believer in a rest. That one shot is the moment of truth! I like dead bulls not sad stories. CBA8053D-C985-49A4-83DB-BB8977A0C7AD.jpeg