Bipod vs Shooting Bag

eamyrick

WKR
I’ve noticed for most hunting situations it can be a real pain to use a Bipod in the field and I feel that it gets in the way for off hand shots. I’m also pretty weight conscious. Does it makes sense to ditch the Bipod and go with a front and rear shooting bag instead for more versatility? I was specifically looking at the Phoenix shooting bag options.

jmden

WKR
Spartan Javelin pops on/off the rifle super easy, so shouldn't be an issue for offhand shots. A 'front shooting bag' would likely weigh more than many bipods, especially the Javelin. Some don't like the Javelin, some do.

Because of the adjustability and stability of a quality bipod, they are the goto choice for the front. There's a reason they are so universally used by so many.

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
If you cant acquire a target with a bipod, you probably wont be able to off of a bag, bags are usually lower. Try a sitting bipod, or learn to shoot off of a standing pack.

OP
eamyrick

eamyrick

WKR
Spartan Javelin pops on/off the rifle super easy, so shouldn't be an issue for offhand shots. A 'front shooting bag' would likely weigh more than many bipods, especially the Javelin. Some don't like the Javelin, some do.

Because of the adjustability and stability of a quality bipod, they are the goto choice for the front. There's a reason they are so universally used by so many.

I tried the Javelin but found that the regular adapter sucked and could never get it right. I’m sure the gunsmith adapter would be better. Some of those Phoenix bags weigh the same as the Harris and have multiple height adjustments. More and more I see prs guys shooting off bags so it seemed to make sense in the field off rocks, etc.

FURMAN

WKR
If you are shooting 600,700,800 plus yards you need to get prone in a solid position and shoot from a good bipod like an Atlas or Modular Evolution. If you are keeping it under 400,500 yards learn to shoot off your pack.

DRUSS

WKR
If you are shooting 600,700,800 plus yards you need to get prone in a solid position and shoot from a good bipod like an Atlas or Modular Evolution. If you are keeping it under 400,500 yards learn to shoot off your pack.
this is sound advice

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jmden

WKR
I tried the Javelin but found that the regular adapter sucked and could never get it right. I’m sure the gunsmith adapter would be better. Some of those Phoenix bags weigh the same as the Harris and have multiple height adjustments. More and more I see prs guys shooting off bags so it seemed to make sense in the field off rocks, etc.
K. I’m using gunsmith adapter. Have used Atlas for years but am giving Javelin a good try.