Bipod vs tripod vs shooting sticks

Hey guys,
I am newish here and need your help.

I am not much of a rifle hunter. I use my rifles for coyotes a lot, antelope with my wife, and historically that is about it. I am tiptoeing into the pool of rifle hunting out west so I am trying to wrap my brain around a few things.

For frame of reference, I have shot plenty of deer with my bow but only one with a rifle.

I see people shooting off low bipods at the range.
I don't have a bipod on any of my rifles, but am considering it.
I see guys mounting rifles to their tripods with arca plates or hog saddles.
I see guys running shooting sticks.

Does a guy really just need one for every occasion or is there a decent solution?

Historically, for coyotes I have used a shooting stick or my rifle. My wife uses the same shooting stick for deer, or rests her gun on the window of the pop up blind.

Last year on our antelope hunt, she used the same bipod shooting stick to make a perfect shot on a nice buck antelope at 170 yards. One shot, bang flop. I shot my antelope off hand standing peaking over the ridge at him after sneaking in to 60 yards. I had the shooting stick with me but didn't take the time to use it since they were about to get going.

This got me to thinking. I have always practiced shooting off a shooting stick or my pack, but I am considering an arca swiss plate on both of our rifles, or a hog saddle to be able to use multiple guns without needing to mount arca swiss plates on all of them. Should I be considering a gun mounted bipod instead?

My concern with a bipod is the inability to adapt to a variety of conditions and shooting positions, extra weight on the gun for packing and the need for a second or third solution.

I am also taking my Mom and Dad Antelope hunting this fall pending we draw the tags we wanted, so I was thinking a pig saddle makes sense to be able to mount up the rifle for my Mom and my wife to shoot.

I want a really easy solution for them so they can make good shots. My Mom is not the strongest and she was worried she would not be able to shoot well enough so I want to do everything in my power to make this fun for her.

Is a tripod with a pig saddle or an arca plate the best all around solution? Thinking I could shoot off my pack from prone, use the tripod for sitting or standing.

Which is your preference and why? Anybody with experience mounting a gun to a tripod have any good advice?

pics for attention. Also, my wife is awesome.

Attachments

• IMG_20211024_203928_784.jpg
    IMG_20211024_203928_784.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 149
  • Snapchat-1992301541.jpg
    Snapchat-1992301541.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
I used to have a bipod on my rifle, but switched to just shooting off my backpack or using trekking poles as shooting sticks to save some weight. Have been thinking about adding an arca base to my rifles though. I think that would be a slick setup. It's all personal preference though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Wiser precision quick stix for trekking poles, light and relatively inexpensive and gives you more height then a bipod if needed. Spartan bipod and davros adapter for tripods is a slick setup. It gives you lots of options depending on your needs for a specific hunt.

OP
E
Wiser precision quick stix for trekking poles, light and relatively inexpensive and gives you more height then a bipod if needed. Spartan bipod and davros adapter for tripods is a slick setup. It gives you lots of options depending on your needs for a specific hunt.
I have shot off a pair of sticks before and I think that is a great option for me!

Not sure how to feel about it for my wife or my mom though.

Do you run that spartan bipod all the time?

Man, I had never seen that davros adapter before. That is slick! How stable is it?

With the bipod being detachable it’s only on when I am shooting and in my pocket/hostler/pack the rest of the time. It’s really light so it’s with me whenever I have my gun regardless if I think I need it or not. Haven’t shot off a saddle or arca plate so can’t compare to a davros. I don’t use it a lot other then for coyote hunting and it’s plenty stable. Rear support and practice would help a lot. It’s defiantly more stable then sticks for me.

Lawnboi

WKR
All three options you mentioned have their place. Depending how and where you hunt.

Personally use a bipod, tripod and gamechanger style bag most of the time. Carry all or one depending on what I’m doing. I don’t normally carry trekking poles, and almost never have them in my hands unless there is meat in my pack.

I’d put the tripod as the least and possibly most effective depending on where and how you hunt. If that makes sense.

OP
E
All three options you mentioned have their place. Depending how and where you hunt.

Personally use a bipod, tripod and gamechanger style bag most of the time. Carry all or one depending on what I’m doing. I don’t normally carry trekking poles, and almost never have them in my hands unless there is meat in my pack.

I’d put the tripod as the least and possibly most effective depending on where and how you hunt. If that makes sense.
I get that. I think the tripod actually makes sense for whitetails here in MN from the ground blind.

Not a fast option for setting up by any means, so probably not great for a surprise shot that presents itself. Probably a good option for antelope if they are relaxed and we can sneak in.

The only one I can't see myself using in the field is the bipod. Having never tried them, I probably should before I decide its not for me. It might be just the ticket. Is yours on a pic rail or a sling stud?

right or wrong, i personally have a spartan bipod (usually on the rifle, but always at least easy access) or i shoot off my pack depending on the situation. i am adding the tripod to the mix when my XLR shows up, which i assume i will shoot off a lot. i probably wouldn't take my tripod off my pack, set it up and shoot unless i had a lot of time, but when it's already out (which is usually) it will be plenty quick to disconnect my binos and hook up to my rifle on a tripod that's already set up. i have the quick stix on a set of trekking poles too, and have practiced off of them a good amount, but for me, it's just as easy to use my left hand or use the hand loops to turn trekking poles into shooting sticks, and my quick stix started squeaking really loud, which annoys me to the point of not using them.

i only use shooting sticks when calling lions, besides that, i don't bring them, because standing my pack up is more intuitive to me since i always have it. i do like a bipod option, because if prone is a possibility, it's my favorite option by far.... i don't overthink it too much, because in the real world, you just figure it out and learn from experience what you prefer.... one thing i'll never do again is shoot off of a laid down pack with a bipod, that bit me year before last on a very large blacktail buck at a distance that missing isn't a concern, but i had the bipod legs on the far side of the pack to get the height correct, and it must have been barely sitting there, because i settled in, engaged the trigger, and the bipod legs fell off the front of the pack, and the trigger was pulled, but i must have shot under him at like 140yds, haha.... i don't know why i didn't just rest the rifle on the pack, but my dumbass saved a buck's life... too many options may not "help" in the woods... keep it simple

OP
E
right or wrong, i personally have a spartan bipod (usually on the rifle, but always at least easy access) or i shoot off my pack depending on the situation. i am adding the tripod to the mix when my XLR shows up, which i assume i will shoot off a lot. i probably wouldn't take my tripod off my pack, set it up and shoot unless i had a lot of time, but when it's already out (which is usually) it will be plenty quick to disconnect my binos and hook up to my rifle on a tripod that's already set up. i have the quick stix on a set of trekking poles too, and have practiced off of them a good amount, but for me, it's just as easy to use my left hand or use the hand loops to turn trekking poles into shooting sticks, and my quick stix started squeaking really loud, which annoys me to the point of not using them.

i only use shooting sticks when calling lions, besides that, i don't bring them, because standing my pack up is more intuitive to me since i always have it. i do like a bipod option, because if prone is a possibility, it's my favorite option by far.... i don't overthink it too much, because in the real world, you just figure it out and learn from experience what you prefer.... one thing i'll never do again is shoot off of a laid down pack with a bipod, that bit me year before last on a very large blacktail buck at a distance that missing isn't a concern, but i had the bipod legs on the far side of the pack to get the height correct, and it must have been barely sitting there, because i settled in, engaged the trigger, and the bipod legs fell off the front of the pack, and the trigger was pulled, but i must have shot under him at like 140yds, haha.... i don't know why i didn't just rest the rifle on the pack, but my dumbass saved a buck's life... too many options may not "help" in the woods... keep it simple
Dude! That totally sucks. Thank you for sharing so we can learn from your mishap.

I love shooting off my pack at the practice pit, but have never had the chance on game as of yet.

Do you have a quick detach bipod?

Jimss

WKR
I've been hunting Wyo and Colo for over 40 years. I have a bipod that fits on my rifle but took it off around 30 years ago. It's just one more thing to lug around. About 85% of my shots for deer, elk, antelope, bighorn, and mtn goats are off my backpack. The remaining 15% is off the top or side of my spotting scope on a tripod. I always stalk with a sagebrush, rock in mind to being in position with clearance shooting off my backpack. Shooting prone is important....especially in windy conditions.

I always have my spotter plus tripod with me. If the brush is tall I sometimes shoot off my scope if I'm 200 or less yards and the wind isn't howling.

I've hunted in Central Nebraska the last few years for whitetails. Some of the tall grass is over 4' tall. I can see where shooting sticks would work well in that situation but in Wyo or Colo most areas are relatively open.

You may find that shooting sticks or a bipod are just one more thing to lug around. As I grow older the less weight I have to pack around the better!

OP
E
I've been hunting Wyo and Colo for over 40 years. I have a bipod that fits on my rifle but took it off around 30 years ago. It's just one more thing to lug around. About 85% of my shots for deer, elk, antelope, bighorn, and mtn goats are off my backpack. The remaining 15% is off the top or side of my spotting scope on a tripod. I always stalk with a sagebrush, rock in mind to being in position with clearance shooting off my backpack. Shooting prone is important....especially in windy conditions.

I always have my spotter plus tripod with me. If the brush is tall I sometimes shoot off my scope if I'm 200 or less yards and the wind isn't howling.

I've hunted in Central Nebraska the last few years for whitetails. Some of the tall grass is over 4' tall. I can see where shooting sticks would work well in that situation but in Wyo or Colo most areas are relatively open.

You may find that shooting sticks or a bipod are just one more thing to lug around. As I grow older the less weight I have to pack around the better!
That's great advice man. I hadn't considered shooting off the spotter, I suppose that would be the same as a regular shooting stick for stability and if it's already set up to glass wouldn't take long at all to set the gun on it.

I have never been to Nebraska for a hunt but that sounds awesome! If the grass is 4' tall it might even help me sneak into bow range... Unless I screw it up like I usually do 😂

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Arizona where its pretty common to have longer shots. Me personally, I'm a much better shooter off my pack, shooting prone. I've tried bipods and tripods. They aren't for me. So I just run light and shoot prone off my pack.

I got the quick stix for my hiking poles this year and I like them quite a bit, plenty tall to shoot off my knees over sage brush and grass and I don’t notice them otherwise. I was messing around with one of those bog pods at the local gun shop awhile back and thought it was pretty neat for the right situation. It was very adjustable but not particularly lightweight. The clamp held a rifle by itself and the whole thing seemed well made. It could be a really solid base for your mom to shoot from if you aren’t planning on hiking too far. If it was a shorter walk it could be pre adjusted to her height and carried that way and would be quick to clamp the rifle in. For a longer walk strap it outside the pack. Just another idea to check out…

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
My 2 cents

Bipod preferred over all other means. Prone with a bipod/rear bag is the most solid position you can use. Situation has to be suitable. Doesn't work in tall grass, brush, etc.

Next preferred method is off arca rail tripod. This works great to get elevated.

Last preferred method is off pack.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I always have my tripod with me due to glassing off it. You can get stupid stable shooting off a good tripod setup. With that being said if I am somewhere that I could be taking an 800-yard shot, I will take my bipod too. Now it has to be somewhere that I know I will not be shooting in a lot of grass, oak brush, or bushes. Clamping into a tripod really eliminates the need for a bipod anymore as long as you have practiced with it and know how to use it!

Last edited:

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Bipod and rear bag for me as well along with a tripod for shots where I need more height to get over brush.

Last year I had this buck pushing his does at just over 300 yards. I attempted to get prone for the shot but had brush in the way so I quickly pulled the spotter off the tripod and snapped the rifle into the Arca clamp and shot the buck at 335 yards. I was rock solid and watched the impact through my scope.

Colorado-Buck.jpg

rclouse79

WKR
I had been using a bipod mounted to my rifle as my preferred rest when time and terrain allow and a Primos trigger stick bipod for quick shot opportunities or ones where I needed more height. I love the concept of the Primos trigger stick but unfortunately the legs are not sliding freely any more and are noisy when I try to pull them out. I researched fixing them and sadly they are made to be disposable. I will probably switch over to a different bipod this year that has individual locks to adjust leg height. It won't be as fast or convenient, but hopefully will last longer.

kpalu

FNG
I used to be strictly off the pack but have now switched to bipod on the rifle and tripod with me. The tripod does double duty with spotting scope and being able to shoot off it. Last year a buddy and I were glassing on a ridge when elk popped out below us at 400 yards and probably a 30 degree down angle. Would have been doable sitting behind my pack but the tripod made it so stable and easy. I dropped an elk and then handed the tripod to my buddy who dropped a second one (both shooting suppressed). I use the RRS 24L w/anvil 30. It's expensive but impressively light for how stable it is. I've also taken standing shots off it in high brush with success. If you practice with your tripod and have the legs pre-adjusted for a kneeling shot it can deploy as fast as shooting sticks.

ofl0926

WKR
I always have my tripod with me due to glassing off it. You can get stupid stable shooting off a good tripod setup. With that being said if I am somewhere that I could be taking an 800-yard shot, I will take my bipod too. Now it has to be somewhere that I know I will not be shooting in a lot of grass, oak brush, or bushes. Clamping into a tripod really eliminates the need for a bipod anymore as long as you have practiced with it and know how to use it!

what are you using to support your rifle on the tripod?

ofl0926

WKR
Bipod and rear bag for me as well along with a tripod for shots where I need more height to get over brush.

Last year I had this buck pushing his does at just over 300 yards. I attempted to get prone for the shot but had brush in the way so I quickly pulled the spotter off the tripod and snapped the rifle into the Arca clamp and shot the buck at 335 yards. I was rock solid and watched the impact through my scope.

Colorado-Buck.jpg

Which tripod and head are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk