Bipod

Jotis

WKR
Thinking of mounting a bipod to the gun. Not sure what length to go with? Seems to be a good idea to me or am I wrong

Ucsdryder

WKR
50/50 on where you can actually use one. I prefer spartan because it’s not stuck on the gun alll the time. And it’s super light weight.

I’m used to carry my trekking poles around in my pack while deer/elk hunting so I just keep them in my pack and use them as shooting sticks. If I think I’ll be taking long shots I put a 13.5-27 Harris bipod on the gun and use the poles as a rear support and it makes a very solid rest.

Jimss

WKR
I’ve been hunting antelope the past 45sh years without a bipod. I ALWAYS have my spotting scope on a tripod next to me. If I can’t shoot prone off my backpack due to brush or slope I often shoot off my spotting scope. I can wedge my rifle between the adjustment arm and the scope. It swivels on my tripod mount and is mighty stable.

DGF

FNG
12-25", or 13.5-27" should be a good height. If you are tall the extra 2" might make the difference. Just make sure you can comfortably shoot from a sitting position with that height to allow you to get over the sage that is present in antelope country. The swivel is a nice feature as well and allows minor leveling of the gun on the uneven terrain.

Good luck,
Dan

Neumann

FNG
have you ever heard of the rokstedi bipod? I’m curious to see one in person. Their tallest bipod says its adjustable from 5inchs to 42 inches. Pretty crazy

ChrisAU

WKR
Me and my buddy both used my standard length Spartan Javelina Light last week to shoot our antelope. We both could have used a bit more height though, I wound up having to reposition to drop the butt of the rifle low enough, and he put his bino harness under the bipod on the ground. Going to look at getting some adjustable pro legs for it.

Savage99

WKR
It’s heavy, but I like my Harris 12-25”. Can see over most sage while extended and I’m fairly tall so it usually works for me prone at 12”. But if it didn’t I could use my pack with it folded up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeffP_Or

WKR
Agree with the seated position notes above; mine extends from just a bit high for prone [I can throw down and lie on a pack or jacket to fit it] to perfect for sitting with infinite adjustability between. I'd guess 10"-29" 13.5" - 23" high or so.
Also look for units that can track, pivot and rotate - that helps with uneven ground. Most have sling studs to 'replace' the original since they generally attach that way to the gun. Blackhawk Sportster TraverseTrak is the actual unit.
Word of caution - as much as you can set up and get in place, critters come from the exact opposite direction you think and you will need to adjust - often while limiting movement and noise; a bipod will find every weed and piece of sage to get tangled in to keep that transition from being very quiet and limited in movement. Trust me! I have scooched myself and walked my gun through sage/weeds often for a better site picture - takes forever when you think it is go time! Bipod makes the difference on open field shooting though.

EDIT: make/model of said bipod and specs

Last edited:
I have a Harris 12-25 swivel also... I used to hunt whitetail on the ground on huge power lines and that would get me over the tall grass sitting to make shots. I haven't tried any other tall bipods though.
I have an Atlas with an ADM QD mount that I switch around on guns with rails. I love that thing, definitely worth the coin! However I'm not sure they make a tall version if that's what you're looking for.