Bipods worth the weight?

Bowhnter

FNG
I'm contemplating the idea of using a bipod this year in the backcountry. Are they worth the weight? My current bipod is 11oz but i think i could shave some weight by removing a lot of extra unneeded metal.

I watched a lot of clients that said they could shoot hit the horn, wound sheep, and completely miss. And none of them were long shots.

If it was me I would absolutely bring a bipod. And like mentioned Spartan makes a lot of lightweight bipods.

Jimss

WKR
I don't use a bipod especially for sheep and mtn goats. I've shot around a dozen goats and sheep over the years and all were inside 300 yards. Most were inside 200 yards. If you are like me the less weight you have to lug up and down steep, rough terrain the better. There are almost always solid rocks to lay prone and shoot from in sheep and goat country. I often shoot antelope off my spotting scope on my tripod but haven't needed to use it sheep hunting yet....always have rocks.

fatbacks

WKR
I carry the spartan bipod in my pocket. Been super happy to have it and I think it is worth it. I also like having my rifle on a bipod whenever I set it down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using the Spartan bipod as well for quite a few years. Finding a rock or using the pack works, but a dedicated, lightweight bipod that I've trained off of and shot of off makes for a great stable and consistent platform to use.

tdot

WKR
Only you can answer that. It really depends on how you shoot and how you practice. I'm far more comfortable off a backpack or off of shooting sticks, in field positions, as that's what I practice with. I typically only shoot off of a bipod on a bench or in a nice flat prone position. I've not spent alot of time combining a bipod and field positions, so it's not something I find valuable. I'm trying to change that, but right now a bipod on the mountains would not be valuable to me.

madcalfe

WKR
ive been using the spartan 300 bipod for 2 years now. for 600$ i wouldn't recommend it. its pretty sloppy while its folded up on the rifle now and id take the extra oz's and get a atlas.

bradb

WKR
I have went away from bi pod as there are to many times it wouldn't work for the shot. I went to a good shooting tripod and much prefer it. Yes a little extra weigh, but not much as I already carried a tripod for glassing and this is used for both. I did carry it on my sheep hunt last year and will again this year. For the sheep I shot we could have set up on a pack, on the moose the tripod proved very valuable. I was shooting steel last night with it, sitting at 1000 yards. But still everyone has to decide it he weight is worth how they will hope to set up to shoot the animal

madcalfe

WKR
I have went away from bi pod as there are to many times it wouldn't work for the shot. I went to a good shooting tripod and much prefer it. Yes a little extra weigh, but not much as I already carried a tripod for glassing and this is used for both. I did carry it on my sheep hunt last year and will again this year. For the sheep I shot we could have set up on a pack, on the moose the tripod proved very valuable. I was shooting steel last night with it, sitting at 1000 yards. But still everyone has to decide it he weight is worth how they will hope to set up to shoot the animal

ive thought about using my spotter tripod for my rifle but i think id rather have my partner watching where the shot hit or missed with the spotter. especially for ranges past 500 yards.

Dennis

WKR
I think a bipod can be worth the weight depending on your hunting style and shooting distance. Bipods can change the weight and balance of your rifle, but are also useful tools. I like to keep my rifle clean without extra weight for horse scabbards, ATV scabbards etc., but like the option to quickly use devices that improve in field accuracy. I found that bipod accuracy was good to a certain range, but if I added a rear rest I could extend the range further. I have settled on carrying a Spartan Javelin (5.2 oz) and Extreme Store EOL rear rest (4.4 oz) on my belt, pack or in my pocket. For me this is half of my system and realize that not all shots can be taken from the prone position. Using the system above as a base I would suggest building a system that works for you for kneeling, sitting and standing under actual field conditions. I would also not rule out the use of packs, rocks and other options you may find in the field. Good luck

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
ive been using the spartan 300 bipod for 2 years now. for 600$ i wouldn't recommend it. its pretty sloppy while its folded up on the rifle now and id take the extra oz's and get a atlas.

We designed that particular bipod more for tactical shooters. Think AR instead of a mountain rifle

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm contemplating the idea of using a bipod this year in the backcountry. Are they worth the weight? My current bipod is 11oz but i think i could shave some weight by removing a lot of extra unneeded metal.

I work for Spartan Precision Equipment, and it looks like many people have mentioned us here. The bipods we make are designed specifically for backcountry hunting. Compared to something like a Harris, our Javelin bipods are half a pound lighter. When you look at the cost of shaving half a pound off your shorting setup through a Ti action, carbon stock, carbon barrel ect., upgrading your bipod is the most affordable way to achieve this.

If I can answers any questions or help you in any way, please let me know 👍

madcalfe

WKR
We designed that particular bipod more for tactical shooters. Think AR instead of a mountain rifle

well if thats the case youd think it would be a little more bomb proof no? i mean my particular mountain rifle is as light as a AR and its braked so it would kick about the same as a .270 or less. and in the 2 years of using it ive had the one leg come completely apart when it gets fully extended and when its folded up it has about 2-3" of play side to side, and when you set the gun on the ground with the legs out it instantly will flop to one side. ive maybe put 100 rounds down the tube while using it...

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
well if thats the case youd think it would be a little more bomb proof no? i mean my particular mountain rifle is as light as a AR and its braked so it would kick about the same as a .270 or less. and in the 2 years of using it ive had the one leg come completely apart when it gets fully extended and when its folded up it has about 2-3" of play side to side, and when you set the gun on the ground with the legs out it instantly will flop to one side. ive maybe put 100 rounds down the tube while using it...

I'm thinking the leg needs adjustment so that it doesn't slide all the way out. See if this video helps. We started noticing a need for a bipod that features legs which lock out when spread apart. The new Pro Hunt does this, and after hearing your feedback, hopefully we can create a Spartan 300 that locks out too.

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I also want add that keeping happy customers is something we work hard to do. If you're not happy with your existing bipod, PM me and I can probably get you a discount on a different bipod in the Javelin line.

That’s awesome to hear. I’m expecting that my Hunter Pro should be delivered this morning. I’m looking forward to putting my hands on it and getting it to the range in the very near future.

I also want add that keeping happy customers is something we work hard to do. If you're not happy with your existing bipod, PM me and I can probably get you a discount on a different bipod in the Javelin line.

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That’s awesome to hear. I’m expecting that my Hunter Pro should be delivered this morning. I’m looking forward to putting my hands on it and getting it to the range in the very near future.

I hope you get to squeeze some range time in the spring. If I can ever answer any questions for you, always feel free to reach out 👍