Bipods

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
How many of you guys keep a bipod on your rifle when going in the back country? I go back and forth on not wanting the extra weight. I like to shoot of my pack but sometimes I leave it behind when going in on a stalk. I love to hear how you guys justify the weight or not

UA_Blake

FNG
I have one and when it comes time to put it in the pack I always leave it at home. Mine isn’t a model that can be removed quickly and it always seems like a hassle to being along.

The best of both worlds is a bipod that can be removed in seconds. One with a bunch of adjustability for uneven terrain. And steady.

I use a Hatch. Tried a bunch of others and nothing comes close imo.

Fourteen

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been looking at Spartan. I like the lightweight and removability and able to use my Primos walking stick together as well. I have no experience with them though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in a similar situation as you. I didn’t want the extra weight on the gun but still wanted something I could deploy quickly.

I came up with this. I literally just put it together, but I can see this being a good option. Basically a small, short, lightweight tripod with a y yoke on it. I’ll probably put an arca mount on so I can quickly swap it out for my taller tripod.

Totally untested in the real world. Open to thoughts and suggestions.
9e76a03863d05614570dcf81c2707a7e.jpg

ba38b54227fb627ef5fa3ff599d031d0.jpg

boom

WKR
im not the best shooter, and i suffer from buck fever. i love my bipod.

i have an early edition Harris bipod is a life saver. it is so much better than, the new versions.

as a bonus..i use a gun sock to protect from the elements. when i sleep in my tent, i put the rifle on the bipod and it is like its in its own tent. i never have to set it down against a tree. i just put it on the bipod.

Geewhiz

WKR
I also am not the best shooter, especially when there are animals in front of me. I don't leave the truck without a bipod. I do, however hunt a lot of open country so longer shots are more the norm. Very little of that quick timber shooting stuff.

Wassid82

WKR
I used one for years but got sick of the extra weight. I have realized that on longer hikes I just don't think its worth it and most of the terrain I hunt its hard to utilize properly. Now I almost exclusively use my pack as a rest.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I used one for years but got sick of the extra weight. I have realized that on longer hikes I just don't think its worth it and most of the terrain I hunt its hard to utilize properly. Now I almost exclusively use my pack as a rest.
I also leave my bipod cause it is harder to find good prone shots.

I can use my pack, but I already have a tripod for glassing and have trained up to use my tripod for shooting. I can shoot as far as practical with my tripod on long range or shorter shots.

Fatcamp

WKR
I was in a similar situation as you. I didn’t want the extra weight on the gun but still wanted something I could deploy quickly.

I came up with this. I literally just put it together, but I can see this being a good option. Basically a small, short, lightweight tripod with a y yoke on it. I’ll probably put an arca mount on so I can quickly swap it out for my taller tripod.

Totally untested in the real world. Open to thoughts and suggestions.
9e76a03863d05614570dcf81c2707a7e.jpg

ba38b54227fb627ef5fa3ff599d031d0.jpg

That's cool. What's it weigh?

I keep a Harris bipod on my rifle. Don't hunt backcountry, though. If I had to decide between food and bipod I would leave it at the truck.

That's cool. What's it weigh?

I keep a Harris bipod on my rifle. Don't hunt backcountry, though. If I had to decide between food and bipod I would leave it at the truck.

13.5 oz with the ARCA mount, 9.2 without. Not sure the extra oz will be worth it. Excited to try it this fall.

I struggle with the weight of a bipod on mountain hunts as well. I recently settled on the javelin spartan. Its very light but also very expensive. I havent really got to use it yet so cant give a good review.

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
javelin spartan is pretty dang lightweight.. pretty hard to pass up because its a valuable tool for me.
however, when laying down prone is not really an option- I shoot from my tripod in the sitting position; locked.

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
Stoney Brook bipod shooting sticks. Use as a hiking stick (5 ft tall), glassing on top of them, and adjust when needed for a shot.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Same. I bought a Javelin with magnetic mount which comes on and off in seconds. Yet I still find shooting off a pack much more flexible and accurate than bipods on uneven surfaces. I just use a pack or Mountain Shooter loop sling now and leave bipods at home.

Elkivory2

FNG
I have the Spartan Javelin and love it. Super light, I carry it in an outside pack pocket, or cargo pocket. Plenty sturdy. Not cheap though!