bird dog caught in snare

Vandy321

WKR
Edit: those opposed to having a civil conversation about it, please stop here. It's a question I genuinely want to hear opinions on.

Is it time to ban snares on public land? Why? Why not?

If you can't see the link, it's a self constricting snare, the dog was lucky to back out quickly enough to only have his snout caught.

This is just one example, I've seen or heard of many.

Wondering what others think...I have my leanings, but am not convinced either way, I am interested in the conversation though, if for nothing else than to be better informed.

Last edited:
As much as I hate banning stuff, I hate thinking about my birddog getting into a trap or a snare. That sucks. I don’t trap so I don’t know how it all works, but it’d be nice if there was a way to let others know that there’s traps in the area. Probably not feasible or enforceable, but it’d be cool if there was a good solution so both could do their thing.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Carry cable cutters. You can buy them at Lowes. No need to ban snares or traps. If there were more predator control then there would be more birds.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Thats assuming you can get to your pup before he is strangled.

Imagine he went in the brush after a bird and next thing you know, you're pulling his body out of a snare, obviously not being able to see what happened or get to him in time.

Legend

WKR
Hard to say that one use of public land is more important than another. Never heard anyone say we should ban bird dogs on public land....

Edit....Hunters need to stay together as hunters. When we divide ourselves we all lose.

Last edited:
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Hard to say that one use of public land is more important than another. Never heard anyone say we should ban bird dogs on public land....
What about when one use of public land endangers others or their hunting partner?

Batch

FNG
i don't think trapping should be banned. The guy and dog were lucky, and i would be rightfully upset in his situation but i think its an extreme stance to say it needs to be outlawed. I would like to see if there is some data on how many dogs get killed in traps. I feel with statements like that you're saying your tradition or sport is more nobler than others.
You do take risks every time you take your dog out and don't have it in immediate control.

Carry cable cutters. You can buy them at Lowes. No need to ban snares or traps. If there were more predator control then there would be more birds.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
I agree no need to ban, however the people that tend to get laws like banning predator hunting just need a couple of their labradoodles to get caught in traps and that’s that. It would be great if someone could come up with a way to let people know that it’s in the area they are. I’m playing devils advocate here and have no problem with trapping, I think it’s a pretty interesting endeavor though I have never done it. I just see it going the way of predator hunting and bear hunting if the trappers don’t get ahead of it which would be a bummer. Interesting how they’d rather have their pets eaten by a cat than have people actively controlling the population, but you’re not dealing with people that use logic and reason on a regular basis so it’s useless to apply it to their argument.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I have zero issues with trapping (cages) or predator hunting in general.

Unsure where I'd stand on an snare ban.

What about when one use of public land endangers others or their hunting partner?
I think you’re letting your emotion take over here. Hunting is facing death my a thousand cuts. If you were a trapper it would never cross your mind to ban snares. You’re worried about the one in a million chance your dog ends up in a snare. With all due, it’s a selfish way to think about things. Yes, I’d hate if my bird dog got caught in one, but when is the last time you’ve heard about it happening prior to this incident? How many times have you had your dog out and never worried about it? It’s the last thing on my mind but I am prepared if it happens.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I think you’re letting your emotion take over here. Hunting is facing death my a thousand cuts. If you were a trapper it would never cross your mind to ban snares. You’re worried about the one in a million chance your dog ends up in a snare. With all due, it’s a selfish way to think about things. Yes, I’d hate if my bird dog got caught in one, but when is the last time you’ve heard about it happening prior to this incident? How many times have you had your dog out and never worried about it? It’s the last thing on my mind but I am prepared if it happens.
I dont recall advocating for a ban, simply asked a question and for opinions in support or against them.

It's no different than the crossbow debate, really. Both an equipment specific form of an overarching legal form of hunting.

Some states want to (or already have) banned crossbows for archery. Some states want to (or already have) banned snares for trapping.

Haven't seen a well articulated argument for snaring, or a cost/benefit analysis done by biologists. How often does it catch the intended prey? What is accidental kill rate? Does a snare on a game trail only kill wolves? How about fawns? Cubs? Dogs? Does that data even exist?

All valid questions I'd argue, just wanted to have the conversation.