bird dog caught in snare

Rich M

WKR
What about when one use of public land endangers others or their hunting partner?
Dog is probably more likely to get hit and die by a car - should we ban cars?

And you are against crossbows. Dude, you got issues. Downright un-American!

It's getting to the point where you can scratch yer balls without offending someone and them crying out for it to be illegal.

4ester

WKR
In states that allow snares, most require training on them.

They are an effective predator control tool.

Trapping has come under fire repeatedly here lately from the other side….. and now I see that some hunters even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've trapped and have bird dogs. I've had my dog step into a foot hold. and also almost lost the dog to an illegally set Conibear 330. Snares are illegal here but i can understand why they are preferred over foot holds in some areas.

I think it takes responsible trappers and responsible hunters for everyone to get along. I'm not sure what the laws are out there but here traps have to be checked ever 24hrs, and tagged with our license number. if there is similar laws and it hadn't been checked like it should than the trapper is at fault.

maybe the solution could be at a public access point its posted that there are traps in the area. no specifics but then its up the hunter, hiker to assess the risk themselves if they should continue on. But i see how this could give the anti's info and then they start beating the bushes looking for traps

Pdzoller

WKR
I wish someone would trap the three large male coyotes near my house. They got into it with my pit/lab mix when she tried protecting our chickens and now she doesn’t like going outside alone. Too many neighbors with dogs though.

As someone who owned bird dogs for 15 years and crisscrossed the west, logging uncountable dog*miles, only once have I ever seen a dog entangled in a snare. As others have suggested, he stood calmly and was released without incident.

Alternatively, I have seen myself or heard of (from close friends) of dogs being injured by porcupines, hit by cars and trucks, impaled/killed on mesquite tree branch, snake bit, fallen off a cliff, over heat, nearly become hypothermic, get lost and found after 13 days with no food and likely very little water, and die from complications from an inhaled grass awn.

Bird dogs do risky things, that’s just the nature of their job. The best ones have a way of making you wonder why they aren’t dead or lost already. I know it sounds dark, but it’s wonderful to have a dog like that.

Also, with the way quail numbers are going, bird hunters ought to be buying trappers beers and gas and shaking theirs hands every time they see one.

Tedhunts

FNG
Not related to Public Areas, but I snare an occasional stray dog on my farm in my coyote sets. All have been pretty calm and not injured... I take a pic of the dog to possibly identify its origin and then let them go on their way. I think the benefit of removing predators out weighs the very minor harm they cause. Ive also told my neighbors that I have active snares, so they can choose to manange the risk and control their dogs or not.. its up to them.

Tod osier

WKR
I dont think so. Any dog properly trained should sit as soon as they feel pressure and you have time to walk up and release the snare. I always carry cable cutters when hunting late season and know how to work traps

Properly trained how?

All my dogs have been leash trained and spent a lot of time on a leash, but the times I've seen them get snagged up in ropes, wire or brush they absolutely lost their shit to get free. I had one that would probably not freak out, but he was a turd.

Okhotnik

WKR
Thats assuming you can get to your pup before he is strangled.

Imagine he went in the brush after a bird and next thing you know, you're pulling his body out of a snare, obviously not being able to see what happened or get to him in time.
Thats why I run gps on my dogs and carry cable cutters

johnsd16

WKR
I like how the OP wanted to flame people and call names, but now has changed the title of this thread, and hasn't replied in pages. Agree, soft, emotional, resistant to any criticism. I NEVER post on IG (one career post) but did comment on the IG post that started this thread, and the guy Slim_Tatman or whatever his name was had edited his post, maybe made it private and/or disabled comments. Good, if you don't know what you're talking about, keep the inflammatory half-cocked "opinions" to yourself.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Then offer yours. You said you had one. Why not share?
My opinion...not fully formed. Don't know much about trapping, its varying regulations from state to state, its effectiveness, or its practices. But I have enjoyed and appreciate the comments and answers to questions.

My initial thoughts...if it hasn't been brought to a vote in your state, it most likely will. I don't think enough folks know enough about it to make an educated decision at the ballot box (should your state have ballot box biology). And we all saw what happened with the wolf in Colorado. Do you want a bunch of folks voting on an issue they know not much about, or would you rather have the conversation, get your talking points out there and make the arguement that it is not as the general public might assume or see on social media? I've actually found the comments, for the most part, very informative and helpful.
I like how the OP wanted to flame people and call names, but now has changed the title of this thread, and hasn't replied in pages. Agree, soft, emotional, resistant to any criticism. I NEVER post on IG (one career post) but did comment on the IG post that started this thread, and the guy Slim_Tatman or whatever his name was had edited his post, maybe made it private and/or disabled comments. Good, if you don't know what you're talking about, keep the inflammatory half-cocked "opinions" to yourself.
I did change the title, because I do agree that it was a bit of a controversial title and that was not the intent of the initial question and detracting from the discussion. Didn't know you were the self proclaimed arbiter of free speech.

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
Properly trained how?

All my dogs have been leash trained and spent a lot of time on a leash, but the times I've seen them get snagged up in ropes, wire or brush they absolutely lost their shit to get free. I had one that would probably not freak out, but he was a turd.
If they have ob right they should sit down when they feel the pressure. Its no different than a leash. Had 2 dogs get caught in snares they sat down i walked up and took them off. Or if you see them get caught on some thing one blow of the whistle and they put their ass on the ground and sit and look at you.

Reactions: JMF

IdahoElk

WKR
My dog got into a leg hold trap not more than 10' from a public access fishing spot parking lot. Who the heck puts a trap where people park to fish? That trap is now in the bottom of the river.

The same week a guys Great pyrenees got into a leg hold and sent him to the hospital as the dog attacked him as he was trying to free it.
I trapped as a kid and would never set traps where people frequent, people these days just don't give a cr@p.

Tod osier

WKR
If they have ob right they should sit down when they feel the pressure. Its no different than a leash. Had 2 dogs get caught in snares they sat down i walked up and took them off. Or if you see them get caught on some thing one blow of the whistle and they put their ass on the ground and sit and look at you.

I don't 100% buy it given what I've seen. Huge difference between a leash/collar/restraint that a dog knows and is applied by a person compared to a boogieman (properly set snare would have no human scent) that grabs him when he is remote from his master and he wants to get back to his master for protection. Dogs know the context of what they experience and they sometimes freak out on the unknown.

Whistle sit, well yes, absolutely, but that isn't what we are talking.

KurtR

WKR
I don't 100% buy it given what I've seen. Huge difference between a leash/collar/restraint that a dog knows and is applied by a person compared to a boogieman (properly set snare would have no human scent) that grabs him when he is remote from his master and he wants to get back to his master for protection. Dogs know the context of what they experience and they sometimes freak out on the unknown.

Whistle sit, well yes, absolutely, but that isn't what we are talking.
It works the same if they don’t just sit from the snare like leash pressure hit the whistle and they sit. One dog was a gsp and other was a lab both trained at decent levels not supper advanced but great ob. Both sat and were released with out a problem. Any way you cut it the snare should not be a problem.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
I've been the trapper setting foothold traps and snares both. I've caught a few pets that were a long way from home, and I've found a few traps and snares laying out. I've never once seen a domestic dog die in either one because it struggles to death. Ever.
Domestics in traps to the same as other canines, you'll find them laying there waiting. Snares when properly done tighten as the dog pulls. They are found sitting waiting just like they would on a leash.
There's little reason to cut a snare and in fact it's generally against the law for you to damage them in any way. Likewise, disturbing a set is also against the law.

For those of you who do find a dog in a snare, if ever, there's a slider on the cable that loosens quickly by straightening the tab in line with the cable. Then pushing the slack end toward the neck. Faster than retrieving cable cutters and getting them to work.

Less predators = more game. While you're considering what I've said , let me add that dropped off house cats are the biggest problem in some areas, and they should be eliminated from the field at every chance.

My opinion...not fully formed. Don't know much about trapping, its varying regulations from state to state, its effectiveness, or its practices. But I have enjoyed and appreciate the comments and answers to questions.

My initial thoughts...if it hasn't been brought to a vote in your state, it most likely will. I don't think enough folks know enough about it to make an educated decision at the ballot box (should your state have ballot box biology). And we all saw what happened with the wolf in Colorado. Do you want a bunch of folks voting on an issue they know not much about, or would you rather have the conversation, get your talking points out there and make the arguement that it is not as the general public might assume or see on social media? I've actually found the comments, for the most part, very informative and helpful.

I did change the title, because I do agree that it was a bit of a controversial title and that was not the intent of the initial question and detracting from the discussion. Didn't know you were the self proclaimed arbiter of free speech.

My state has preserved hunting fishing and trapping in their current and traditional forms via a right to hunt legislation.