bird dog caught in snare

johnsd16

WKR
The reason you had to take that class in Idaho is more of a liability issue than teaching you how to trap. We have a very active trapper's association and liberal seasons because of this. Much easier to defend seasons and methods when they can go in front of committees and tell them that every licensed trapper in the state has had an approved trapper education course. Two if you take the wolf class. That's one less thing the antis can use in their arguments. With the class even NR can trap in Idaho, MN doesn't even allow NR to trap. That's more ridiculous than having to take a class.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Agree on all points, the required class being excellent on many fronts and MN rules being terrible. I do think the class could be even better.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Agree on all points, the required class being excellent on many fronts and MN rules being terrible. I do think the class could be even better.
Which instructor did you have for the regular class? Do you remember?

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
Can you give an estimate of how much tougher a 330 is to deal with? or is it not worth worrying about since the dog would be dead?
I trapped a bit used 330s enough that I can say most people would struggle with a fresh one. Old traps maybe not but most trappers aren't going to continue using a slow weak trap.

I had a couple feet of heavy cord with toggles on both ends I kept in my pocket, just in case I needed to collapse a 330. My way certainly isn't the only way, but it was easy and quick without carrying tongs.

Push a toggle through the bottom eye from the bottom, then through the upper eye also from the bottom. Turn the toggle across the eye. Pull up on the opposite end(the toggle makes a good handle) to collapse the springs. Most have hooks you put over to keep them collapsed. A short rope gives good leverage, but having enough to wrap around to lock the spring if need be is about right. Another handy thing is a couple heavy zip-ties. If the spring catch is missing you can use them to hold th trap open or the spring collapsed.

Scorpion

WKR
I don’t agree with nor would I support a ban on snares, especially in wolf country.

In my home state, we are only allowed to run cable restraints that won’t cause complete strangulation, but all bird seasons are closed by the time restraint season opens. It is peak coon season by then though.

Both sides could do a better job to educate and inform the other. Nothing wrong with posting warning signs about your trap line.

I run traps, snares/restraints, and a German Shorthair.

Tod osier

WKR
I trapped a bit used 330s enough that I can say most people would struggle with a fresh one. Old traps maybe not but most trappers aren't going to continue using a slow weak trap.

I had a couple feet of heavy cord with toggles on both ends I kept in my pocket, just in case I needed to collapse a 330. My way certainly isn't the only way, but it was easy and quick without carrying tongs.

Push a toggle through the bottom eye from the bottom, then through the upper eye also from the bottom. Turn the toggle across the eye. Pull up on the opposite end(the toggle makes a good handle) to collapse the springs. Most have hooks you put over to keep them collapsed. A short rope gives good leverage, but having enough to wrap around to lock the spring if need be is about right. Another handy thing is a couple heavy zip-ties. If the spring catch is missing you can use them to hold th trap open or the spring collapsed.
Thanks for the responses. My plan, and what I've practiced, is to use a bootlace or paracord length.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yet another reminder for trappers to run lines where there is limited to no known traffic from hunters or dogs. As a trapper one of my biggest fears is accidentally harming a dog in a set. I have passed up on many great set opportunities for this reason.
That would essentially eliminate the entire lower 48. People are everywhere these days with their dogs.

rclouse79

WKR
I have not read through all the replies so this might be in there. Banning trapping because your dog got caught in a trap seems similar to banning vehicles because your dog got hit by a car. This is my perspective as a non-trapper. Life is filled with risks and sometimes crap happens. I would expect libs to ban anything that offends their delicate sensibilities.

Nooksack

FNG
Cod,
I said responsible not legal. Just because it was a legal set, and was not in an area with a leash law doesn't make two responsible parties.

No one is making profit from trapping now days. Setting traps near roads, neighborhoods, trailheads, etc. is irresponsible. Snug harbor rd. is not a place to be setting traps for example. A little fur is not worth the bad image we as trappers are getting. The same goes for letting your dog run loose during trapping season, (if you don't know where your dog is running your not being responsible) you know the possibilities so you are taking a chance if trapping is open and legal where you let your dog run.

I believe we as trappers should be coming up with setback distance proposals instead of continuing to trap the ditches and eventually losing miles and miles of land to trap free zones. What is happening with municipalities across the state is the result.
I've corresponded through many emails with the assemble in Anchorage to try and persuade them to try education or cut back on the size of the ban. Ha! thats like trying to convince a liberal to vote for Trump.

I also said arguing, I do believe civil conversations can be beneficial.

tuffcity

WKR
I trap lynx, wolverine, coyotes and wolves using only Belisle 330 magnums and snares (either 1/16 or 5/64 cable) with locking cams. You have to be one strong MF'er to hand set one of the 330's.

Trap setters and cable cutters are cheap, especially compared to how much you probably spent on your dog. :) They fit in a day pack quite nicely. A string release is fine if you're the one with an arm stuck in the body gripper but a proper setter will release your dog a lot faster with way less messing around. Same with a cable cutter- but cut the loop or where the lock is.

As with any tool, learn how to use it before you need it!

MNTrapper

FNG
My German Wirehair was caught in a snare. I walked across the field and let him out. I've trapped for over 40 years and know exactly what the tool is and it doesn't bother me a bit. Educate yourself find a trapper or trappers organization. Someone WILL help you. Get hands on..not youtube.. That said...
There are illegal sets made and idiotic ones too. Just like every other pursuit it's humans doing it so you always have some % knucklehead.
What bothers me is when someone places a trap illegally and causes harm the news and even outdoor forums refer to that person as a "Trapper". When someone does something illegal in hunting world they are called poachers..not hunters.
I served on the board of our State Trappers association and had access to actaul trap/dog conflict and outcomes.
The vast majority of these were uncontrolled free running dogs. Next were illegal sets. It was extremely rare to have a dog trap issues where both were in the right. It does happen..its rare.
We had a vet give us data about the number of dogs shot by their owners or someone in the owners party each year while hunting.. Way more than any trap incident
Lots of room for everyone out there.
Don't splinter ...learn

Trap

Lil-Rokslider
My German Wirehair was caught in a snare. I walked across the field and let him out. I've trapped for over 40 years and know exactly what the tool is and it doesn't bother me a bit. Educate yourself find a trapper or trappers organization. Someone WILL help you. Get hands on..not youtube.. That said...
There are illegal sets made and idiotic ones too. Just like every other pursuit it's humans doing it so you always have some % knucklehead.
What bothers me is when someone places a trap illegally and causes harm the news and even outdoor forums refer to that person as a "Trapper". When someone does something illegal in hunting world they are called poachers..not hunters.
I served on the board of our State Trappers association and had access to actaul trap/dog conflict and outcomes.
The vast majority of these were uncontrolled free running dogs. Next were illegal sets. It was extremely rare to have a dog trap issues where both were in the right. It does happen..its rare.
We had a vet give us data about the number of dogs shot by their owners or someone in the owners party each year while hunting.. Way more than any trap incident
Don't splinter ...learn
Well said 👍

Don't splinter ...learn
Very well said

Edit: those opposed to having a civil conversation about it, please stop here. It's a question I genuinely want to hear opinions on.

Is it time to ban snares on public land? Why? Why not?

If you can't see the link, it's a self constricting snare, the dog was lucky to back out quickly enough to only have his snout caught.

This is just one example, I've seen or heard of many.

Wondering what others think...I have my leanings, but am not convinced either way, I am interested in the conversation though, if for nothing else than to be better informed.

Trapping is the oldest and most effective form of hunting.
Try and ban that, and you're a useful idiot doing the work of the anti hunting lobby for them.

Carry a multi tool to snip wires if needs be.
Understand how traps work.
Try to train your dog to avoid traps.

Start conversations with trappers in your area, and tell them why.
To learn enough about trapping to avoid issues.
To find out where or when they put out their sets so you can avoid them.

Difficult to advertise where you put your sets, as some people will vandalise and steal traps. Some traps shouldn't really be on public land without a warning, IMO.

David Canterbury has a trapping serious on YouTube to get you started.

MNTrapper

FNG
I chimed in before but I have a foot in both world have a new Pudelpointer now but ran a GWP for many years. Also trap.
The big issue most of the time is really understanding what the real risk is vs perceived. If you have a dog in a snare it is not hard to let them out. Now having said that there was a comment a bit back about cutting a snare cable with a Leatherman. Technically you can but its pretty hard to do sometimes. There is a very inexpensive tool called a cable cutter...25 bucks maybe?? Trappers supply companies have them. The are small and rounded nose. The look a little like a dog nail trimmer. The are circle on circle closure so it bunches the cable for a very easy snip. Tradition flat cutting surface wire cutters tend to smash the cable and can be tough. In not super savvy on the web stuff but if someone has questions I would gladly help if messaged assuming I can work the buttons...we are all in this together guys.
Gotta make it work