Bird Dog Expense

So I have wanted a bird dog for awhile now and my wife has given me the go ahead to get a pup as a perk to finishing my masters degree. I have narrowed down to breed, breeder and now should have confirmation of a pup last part of May. However the purchase cost of the dog is scaring me a bit. I am not a dedicated bird hunter now but part of getting a dog was to continue down that path. Yet, I have never spent more than $500 on a dog but new pup will more than double that. The thought of making that investment seems like a lot to me as I get closer to securing a pup. Anyone else have these worries when dropping some serious coin on a animal?

NB7

WKR
Never looked at it that way, as "investing" in an "animal."
My dogs, hunting or otherwise, are always companions and members of the family. You're just paying up front for a (dog's) lifetime of what is hopefully fun and companionship. I've bought dogs and bred and sold dogs. One thing for sure like most everything else, you usually get what you pay for.
$1000 isn't a crazy price for a well bred hunting pup of most any breed.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
Your initial purchase price will be small compared to the time and money investment required to turn even a well-bred pup into a hunting dog.

I came here to say the exact same thing.

I've spent anywhere from $500 - $1500 on hunting dogs. I also have vet bills, $60/bags of food, dog kennels, collars, dog trailer, training, pigeons, the actual hunting trips, and more. The initial expense of a dog is nothing in the long run. Not to come off as callous or mean, but if you're worried about the expense of buying the dog, you need to really sit down and get a grip on the costs that will be coming after you bring it home.

My GSP cost $1500 for one $1300 for the other
E-collars
Kennel for home and transportation
Leash
Collars
Toys
Food
Vaccines etc.
Dog insurance

Training at least the cost of the dog. Depends on how formal you want to go. I do my own obedience training then send them off for formal obedience training that combo has worked well. I get them on wild birds as much as possible to get that natural drive almost into an obsession. Scent training with them and we play games around the house with scent/wings. After a season or two depending upon how the dogs responds in the field determines how much formal training they need. I'm not looking for a field trial dog but I want the dog to do what I want them to do in the field.

The most important consideration, is time, make sure you have the time to spend with the dog. My dogs take a lot of my time! It drives my wife nuts but most everything I do with the dogs turns into some form of training. The training really never stops. These dogs need a job or they will drive you nuts!

Donjuan

WKR
Best $20 you spend will on Bird Dog by Ben O Williams. Then a good pair of boots, maps and gas...no regrets

Tyrock

FNG
Agree with the above, if the cost of $1000 for a pup is too high, then maybe not do it yet. Cost of food, crates, chew toys, training, etc etc makes the initial purchase look like nothing.
I totally agree with THIS. You have to be sure you're ready to take on the responsibilities that comes with owning a dog.

I was thinking…at $4/gallon, OP lives in NE WY, the gas alone is going to add up.

Even in Kansas we used to put on 600 miles a weekend hunting, every weekend from November through January. I know lots of folks use pigeons and other released birds with success, but a risk averse first time bird dog owner would exclusively use wild birds to train his pup. And that means miles and time.

Squincher

WKR
You can find a pup out of good stock at lesser cost if that is your sticking point. I haven't had a dog that didn't turn out in the last 30 years, and I've never paid over $500 for a pup. Most have been in the $200-$300 range. I should point out though, that I don't do field trials, I'm strictly a foot hunter. As long as the dog hunts, points, hunts dead, and comes when I call, I don't require anything else. I've had mostly English Pointers, with some Britts and German Shorthairs in the mix. All were registered.

AND...they need lots of exercise. Once the skeletal system is more mature you can start to stretch their legs with some longer runs. I usually wait until a year to be on the safe side. We're talking about running on pavement or sidewalk not the field. I purchased a leash attachment for my mountain bike. In a 30 minutes bike ride I can get a 4.5 mile dog run logged. IME the dogs are much calmer when they get their exercise sessions. Running with a human doesn't work that well IME. My hard run is joke for these dogs, more like, a light stretch for them (HAHA).

So I have wanted a bird dog for awhile now and my wife has given me the go ahead to get a pup as a perk to finishing my masters degree. I have narrowed down to breed, breeder and now should have confirmation of a pup last part of May. However the purchase cost of the dog is scaring me a bit. I am not a dedicated bird hunter now but part of getting a dog was to continue down that path. Yet, I have never spent more than $500 on a dog but new pup will more than double that. The thought of making that investment seems like a lot to me as I get closer to securing a pup. Anyone else have these worries when dropping some serious coin on a animal?
You may want to take more time to research this idea. First piece of advice is be very careful selecting a breeder. Stay away from backyard breeders & “oh we just wanted our kids to have the experience of our dog having puppies”. Find a reputable training kennel that specializes in the breed you want & puts out select, well bred litters. Expect to pay more than your mindset price & up for a well bred pup. Genetics/pedigrees from proven field dogs is everything. Then, hold on because that’s only the beginning expense.

I can’t speak as much to the pointing and flushing breeds, but for the retriever breeds I can from first hand experience. A well bred Lab pup with proven parents (field trials &/or hunt test advanced titled and a hunting background) will cost you $1k-$1,500 at least. Next, if you truly want a competent hunting dog you will want to send your pup to a reputable pro trainer. I’m not saying you can’t do it yourself, but I’ll say there’s WAY MORE to it than you can imagine. Watching videos doesn’t make you capable. Also, YOU NEED TO BE TRAINED on how to properly handle your new trained dog in the field!! Also, unless you own & live on large farm property you don’t have the space & resources. So pup goes to trainer generally at about 6 months of age to begin training. For a reputable Pro trainer with a decent size kennel and facilities, training fees will be $750’ish - $1,000’ish per month plus any other incidentals fees that will be charged to the client. Plan on your pup being there full time at least 12-18 months to mature into an obedient & competent hunting retriever. This isn’t an exaggeration or the “maximum” scenario. I’d say it’s a really good “average”. Talk to folks who have experienced this and that have worked with a pro trainer. It’s a lifetime of your dog’s hunting career journey & commitment, but there’s an amazing amount of reward.

WCB

WKR
You may want to take more time to research this idea. First piece of advice is be very careful selecting a breeder. Stay away from backyard breeders & “oh we just wanted our kids to have the experience of our dog having puppies”. Find a reputable training kennel that specializes in the breed you want & puts out select, well bred litters. Expect to pay more than your mindset price & up for a well bred pup. Genetics/pedigrees from proven field dogs is everything. Then, hold on because that’s only the beginning expense.

I can’t speak as much to the pointing and flushing breeds, but for the retriever breeds I can from first hand experience. A well bred Lab pup with proven parents (field trials &/or hunt test advanced titled and a hunting background) will cost you $1k-$1,500 at least. Next, if you truly want a competent hunting dog you will want to send your pup to a reputable pro trainer. I’m not saying you can’t do it yourself, but I’ll say there’s WAY MORE to it than you can imagine. Watching videos doesn’t make you capable. Also, YOU NEED TO BE TRAINED on how to properly handle your new trained dog in the field!! Also, unless you own & live on large farm property you don’t have the space & resources. So pup goes to trainer generally at about 6 months of age to begin training. For a reputable Pro trainer with a decent size kennel and facilities, training fees will be $750’ish - $1,000’ish per month plus any other incidentals fees that will be charged to the client. Plan on your pup being there full time at least 12-18 months to mature into an obedient & competent hunting retriever. This isn’t an exaggeration or the “maximum” scenario. I’d say it’s a really good “average”. Talk to folks who have experienced this and that have worked with a pro trainer. It’s a lifetime of your dog’s hunting career journey & commitment, but there’s an amazing amount of reward.
$12,000-$18,000 for a field hunting dog in just training? Now I know that is not B.S. on your part as my grandpa used to own one of the larger Pheasant operations in S.D. with a kennel full of professionally trained dogs but not everyone needs to spend that kind of money for a competent dog whether it is a retriever or a pointer. Way to try and scare a guy from getting a hunting dog.

to the OP...if it makes you feel better spread that extra $1,000 over the life of the dog...so it is an extra $75-$100 a year. If you can train basic obedience (which is first and foremost) and do the basic training of retrieving etc. You will probably have a perfectly fine hunting/family dog. Sounds like you have had dogs before so you know basic food and vet costs, etc. There are organizations and resources available to bounce questions off of trainers and other owners NAVHDA being one of them. Also, could send the dog for specified training if they are lacking in an certain area. Go West Old Man's prices are about right for monthly training (as stated above I in no way agree you need to have your dog in training that long) but again spread that out over time and look at it as an investment. Hell you just paid for a Masters Degree...spend some money on something you will enjoy.

WPFY543

FNG
Everyone's comments above are accurate. The $100-$500 expenses never stop and really do add up over time. However, every penny spent is 100% worth it. My wife is incredibly frugal (I'm still a work in progress!) but when it comes to the dog, we don't bat an eye at spending whatever is necessary.

Two recommendations not yet made - find a great vet that you can trust and build a relationship with them. There will always be the regular visits, but there will also be random stuff that pops up. Having a good vet can help you immensely in those instances. For me, the vet bills always have a bit of sticker shock but I'm not a vet so I'm paying for them to do what is best for my dog.

Second, look for a training group near you that focuses on your breed and training gun dogs. NAVHDA (if your breed qualifies) has been a great resource for me IF you want to actively drive the training of your dog. It gathers lots of people with a variety of experience who are there simply because they love gun dogs and want to see others succeed. You can even attend before you get your dog (training season just kicked off) so you can start learning. Cost is less than $100 for the year. Keep in mind that most training is training the handler - these dogs are smart and you need to learn how to guide and correct. If your dog is not a versatile breed, I am sure there are other similar groups.

Don't let the cost overwhelm you - it's worth every penny for you and the dog.

Tod osier

WKR

Purchase cost is trivial compared to the overall cost, especially once the dogs get old and have a couple health issues.

I'm sure there are deals to be had on great litters, but 1000+ is the norm for well bred dogs. We paid 1500 last year and that seemed middle of the road for what we were looking for.

NB7

WKR
Purchase cost is trivial compared to the overall cost, especially once the dogs get old and have a couple health issues.
Exactly ^^^^

Not to go down a rabbit hole on expenses, but something else to consider when it comes to costs is pet insurance. We have it. Costs about $50 per month per dog. Now that is certainly another $50 bill I didn't want to pay every month, but my wife wouldn't relent. I begrudgingly agreed.
Then I had a dog tear an ACL. The $5,000 surgery only cost me $500 out of pocket.
It's not for everyone, and I'm guessing there are better insurance plans out there than I have. But if you're looking at things investment wise, I'd say it's a good investment.

Squincher

WKR

Or, if you aren't doing trials, skip almost every bit of this and go kill birds. An upland dog will do 90% of what it needs to do from instinct, 5% from experience, and the last 5% is establishing a rapport such that the dog wants to hunt for you rather than taking off on it's own. You can spend or do as much as you want, but you don't need anything else.

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
I have had 3 black lab females in the last 25 years. My first one cost $100 and was my best/favorite hunting dog. Mostly bc she was pre kids and I had more time for training and we figured each other out perfectly. Second was $500 and a good dog also. Third was $1000 and out of the best blood lines of the 3. She is plenty good also and I had some experience with her parents and brother so knew the extra $500 over cheaper dogs was worth it to me. Think the extra $500 is worth it to get one that has better genetics but having said that in most cases a much lesser dog would serve you well also.

$12,000-$18,000 for a field hunting dog in just training? Now I know that is not B.S. on your part as my grandpa used to own one of the larger Pheasant operations in S.D. with a kennel full of professionally trained dogs but not everyone needs to spend that kind of money for a competent dog whether it is a retriever or a pointer. Way to try and scare a guy from getting a hunting dog.

to the OP...if it makes you feel better spread that extra $1,000 over the life of the dog...so it is an extra $75-$100 a year. If you can train basic obedience (which is first and foremost) and do the basic training of retrieving etc. You will probably have a perfectly fine hunting/family dog. Sounds like you have had dogs before so you know basic food and vet costs, etc. There are organizations and resources available to bounce questions off of trainers and other owners NAVHDA being one of them. Also, could send the dog for specified training if they are lacking in an certain area. Go West Old Man's prices are about right for monthly training (as stated above I in no way agree you need to have your dog in training that long) but again spread that out over time and look at it as an investment. Hell you just paid for a Masters Degree...spend some money on something you will enjoy.
“$12,000-$18,000 for a field hunting dog in just training?” Again, speaking for professional retriever training….. Yes, absolutely over the first year or two at least. …. To get a retriever to a fully finished working retriever that has also achieved national level AKC MNH & HRC GRHRCH titles. This is no B.S. Not trying to scare anyone off. Actually I’d highly encourage getting the best training with a new pup that you can.

“….not everyone needs to spend that kind of money for a competent dog whether it is a retriever or a pointer.” Agree 100%. All depends on how far you want to get into it. Find a local HRC or AKC retriever club and go join them for a scheduled training day. You’ll meet some great folks that are absolutely willing to help out a new retriever pup owner.

“There are organizations and resources available to bounce questions off of trainers and other owners NAVHDA being one of them.” 100% agree! Search out and join an organization and their affiliate clubs that do what you want to do. Invaluable!

“Hell you just paid for a Masters Degree...spend some money on something you will enjoy.” Yep, that’s about right. I’ve got one of those 4 legged, yellow, “masters degrees” laying in the back yard as we speak. She’s 13 y/o, retired, takes meds for arthritic joints as needed, and hasn’t picked up a duck in two years but I don’t regret the “training journey” we took together. I love her dearly and have no regrets for whatever it cost me years ago. The real reward is in our bond.