Bird dog help

Superdoo

WKR
I’m not trying to ruin the dog he just learned very fast so I thought I’d move fast with him I apologize if I was doing something wrong I’ve not ever trained any dogs before I just know he learned what I’ve taught him so far very fast.

I'm glad the dog is learning quickly or at least appears to be. I would just add this caution to you as you have admitted you are a novice (which is awesome BTW). A young pup becomes a bold dog by experiencing field work on their own. Make sure you are spending time letting that pup gain confidence in himself and enjoy exploring.
There will be tons of time for you two to run drills and polish things. Right now the focus should be on exploration and enjoyment.

Just because you think the dog is progressing through whatever steps you are using as metrics, if you're a novice your perception of success may be jaded. I've seen many a pup that the owner thought was going to be the greatest hunting dog that ever lived when the pup was 3 months. By the time the pup was 2 it approached hunting with the same vigor that you and I would approach mowing the lawn.

Don't get me wrong pups learn extremely quickly and it's awesome that you are putting in the time now. Seriously it is fantastic! Most folks take the opposite approach and it bites them in the rear real good.

What breed of dog is it?

KurtR

WKR
What are your goals and expectations? 12 weeks old should just be sit which means sit and don’t move till I tell you to. Remember though he’s a baby so sitting for 15 seconds will be a year for him. Stay is not a command. Then recall and progress on. Two or three retrieves down a hall way so he has no where to go but you. Spend 60 dollars on Freddy kings on line program. Hundreds of step by step videos explained very well and easy for the first time trainer. He answers questions you have.

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider

I think this guy's approach to retriever training (hold conditioning vs force fetch) is pretty interesting and tries to minimize negative reinforcement. And I agree with others that the most important thing to avoid is going too fast and expecting too much too quickly ........ this is true with any dog at any age but most important with a puppy.

I too appreciate your enthusiasm, nothing like having a good bird dog or two. With all due respect you have been given a lot of good advice. You have plenty of time to train this dog. What you need to do now is just work on basics and read two our three good books on the subject. Invest an hour a day in learning more and you’ll end up with a dog hunting up to it’s genetic potential. Good luck: Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Works for handguns; fly casting and training bird dogs.

OP
T

Trapperkid

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone I will continue to work on basics I just wanted to know how to fix the problem before it really began good thanks for all the info

Honestly, I think it would be a good idea to use a dog trainer. Someone to keep you in check and keep you on a reasonable timeline. Nothing wrong with not knowing anything about training a dog but you don’t want to spend a lifetime trying to correct all the bad shit you have trained your dog to do.

A little time and money with someone who knows what they are doing would go a long way.

Edit: for what it’s worth besides bird introductions and stomping a bird or two as little pups I keep them on frozen birds. I remove head, wings and legs before freezing. This keeps the quail small enough a pup can properly hold the bird and encourages a better hold on the bird, without chomping it. I don’t move onto actual bird retrieves until recall is solid and retrieve is quick, reliable and enthusiastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Spoonbill

WKR
Thanks everyone I will continue to work on basics I just wanted to know how to fix the problem before it really began good thanks for all the info
What kind of dog is it? There are some great books out there but if its a pointer, a book about training labs probably wouldnt be the best, so to speak.

Gotitbad

FNG
the ear pinch method is the most common. You get the dog up on a table. The longer the better. I got a 24’ counter out of a convenience store remodel. 12’ minimum. You put your fingers under the collar and ear and use your thumb to pinch the ear with your index finger. You walk around the table leading the dog. Don’t stop walking. Hold the dummy or dowel in front of the dog so they can see it pinch until the dog yipes and opens it mouth. You put the dowel in its mouth release pressure on the ear immediately. hold the mouth shut. Keep walking lots of praise never raise your voice or scold. I give the dog a treat every time they get on the table And and everytime they get done. First time do it once. Keep the dog on the table lots of love and praise treat and down. Twice a day 15 minutes each stop when they do it right. Add reps then you walk while they hold. Stop and have them sit and hold reach up and tug dowel if they let go pinch again Hold mouth shut. You trying to teach them that grabbing and holding the dowel stops the pinch. take the 1”- 2” dia dowel about 1’ long and put 2x4 square blocks one each end like a dumbbel. As you walk hold the dowel down by the table as you pinch move it up to the mouth. You move it up less over time and make the dog reach down more . Getting a dog to pick up the dumbbel is hard. If they fail backup to the begining and as soon as they succeed stop praise treat.

Gotitbad

FNG
When you get to where your pupil runs to get on the table. Picks up the dumbbell on comman walks and holds, sits and holds, does not release until command your on your way. Make sure you walk booth ways around the table. Use all kinds of objects, do it in different location. On a picnic table at the park, the kitchen table ( only when the missus is out) extend the time of the holds up to 15-20 minute. No chewing! That gets a pinch. Now totally reliable we introduce dead game. Birds quail pheasant (dove shed thei feather easily save til last) ducks geese rabbits fox coon badger. Whatever you hunt and or can get. The dog will get excited and make mitakes in the field. Don’t scream and chase. when you get hold/ control. Do what you did on the table. Pinch hold walk hold sit hold hold to tug release on command. this will cost you time and game the first year but will make a better dog for the next decade. second year you have a better dog than most third season you and your dog are a team.

2ski

WKR
Did we ever find out the breed?

So you mentioned in a thread in November that you just got a black lab 2 weeks prior. Did you give up on this dog?

Last edited:
OP
T

Trapperkid

Lil-Rokslider
Did we ever find out the breed?

So you mentioned in a thread in November that you just got a black lab 2 weeks prior. Did you give up on this dog?
No sir I did not give up on that dog that dog was truly incredible listened like I’d never seen he was a mixed breed and his only bad habit that I could never break was running to my neighbors house and chasing the four wheeler one day my niece let him chase the four wheeler while she was riding although I told her not to she drove past my neighbors and the dogs at the house next to it jumped him and caused him to die three days later.

Mosby

WKR
So I’ve been training my dog so I could start teaching him to be a bird dog but how do you keep a dog from just eating the bird he retrieves a duck shaped toy very well but he wants to eat any dead birds he finds
There is a book called Training with MO. Mo Lindley is a professional dog trainer in SC. There is a small section devoted to a dog eating a bird and how to deal with it. I just started reading his book myself. You might consider buying it for a source of information.

2ski

WKR
No sir I did not give up on that dog that dog was truly incredible listened like I’d never seen he was a mixed breed and his only bad habit that I could never break was running to my neighbors house and chasing the four wheeler one day my niece let him chase the four wheeler while she was riding although I told her not to she drove past my neighbors and the dogs at the house next to it jumped him and caused him to die three days later.
Oh man, I am so sorry dude. That's horrible. I would contemplate shooting any attacking dog if that happened to mine. That's gotta be rough. You have my sympathy.

I hope things go well with the lab pup. Take it slow. Enjoy the puppy times bonding. She'll do awesome. Exposure to people, riding in the car, parks, ponds, all of it. Parks after shots are up to date. Well behaved adult dogs. Parks are a great way for them to observe kids and other dogs and get some exposure. Just make sure bithbare well behaved. Kids and other dogs. Just not the car wash. I ended up with a griffon on my lap in the driver's seat a few months back when he was about 9 months old because I decided to try it as I went through the automatic car wash.

KurtR

WKR
I would spend 60 dollars and get Freddy kings program on line. Takes you from puppy to finished retriever. Best most comprehensive you will find for that price

Deepwoods

FNG
Check out standing stone kennels YouTube channel. They have a long multistage process that looks very good. I read many sources before committing to force fetch and mixed some techniques as I went along. I believe the e-collar, for myself, was the best approach. My dog always wears an e-collar outside or training so a quick reminder with a light stimulation if she doesn't want to fetch something always reminds my dog of the rules. I agree with removing birds from the equation until your dog is very very good at consistently retrieving bumpers/objects. You can slowly mix in bumpers with feathers zip tied to them as well as your dog progresses. It is all about consistency and training every day, not an overload of training, but consistently training every day. Dogs are smart, get them into a rhythm and they will make a habit of what you want. Always be firm and never let them win, but also always end on a good note and praise when things are done correctly. Training takes a firm approach that many are not willing to commit. If a dog knows he or she can control you or get out of training methods, the harder it becomes to make them understand that it's your way or no way.