Bird Watchers?

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
IMG-20210218-WA0002~2.jpganyone know which owl this is? Northern California it seems like a young fella and doesn't seem to want to fly when crowded. It's very near a hollow tree and I'm thinking it fell out of the nest. Hoping mom comes after dark before a raccoon or fox shows up.

Voyageur

WKR
Based off your picture my best guess is a Barred Owl. The map of their range only shows them venturing into extreme northern CA during the winter months.

Voyageur

WKR
Actually, I take that back. It looks like they are year round residents in northern CA.

Rich M

WKR
Looks like the swamp owls we see down here in FL. They are a hoot - literally - when you set up near their daytime roost tree and they show up 5 minutes before daylight - will about hop into your lap to see what that blob is doing in the tree- wasn't there yesterday!

OP
CHWine

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
Bad news on our owl. Still pretty unresponsive this morning. Garbage man took him in a cat carrier. Gonna take it to a vet. I'm not very hopeful.

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like it’s sick, or possibly injured. Are there any rodent bait traps around that you know about. Could have found and eaten a poisoned rodent.