Birds in the Owyhee

IdahoElk

WKR
So the game bird population in central Idaho has plummeted the last few years although I have been able to find some Quail and Huns my Munsterlander buddy Adler thinks I'm a stinky owner and asked me to put some feelers out about the Owyhee's. Anyone have experience hunting there?
Thanks for any info

778MiY2.jpg

Wassid82

WKR
Birds are there. A fire a few years ago hurt the bird numbers. they asked hunters to avoid the area for a year or two. I went back out there this year thinking the numbers would be good but I only saw a few. I’m uncertain if the numbers are down or maybe after the fire the birds have just found different places to hang around compared to where I used to find them.

Birds are there. A fire a few years ago hurt the bird numbers. they asked hunters to avoid the area for a year or two. I went back out there this year thinking the numbers would be good but I only saw a few. I’m uncertain if the numbers are down or maybe after the fire the birds have just found different places to hang around compared to where I used to find them.
We’re going down next weekend give them another chance. 4 guys, five pointers a lab and a Golden we should find something.

Few and far between.

Be careful down there this time of year. With the snow and the mud it's not hard to get in a bad situation.

GregB

WKR
So the game bird population in central Idaho has plummeted the last few years although I have been able to find some Quail and Huns my Munsterlander buddy Adler thinks I'm a stinky owner and asked me to put some feelers out about the Owyhee's. Anyone have experience hunting there?
Thanks for any info

778MiY2.jpg

Sent you a PM Idaho Elk.

3sdad

FNG
If you are serious about the Owyhees, think Owyhee Resevoir in Oregon. Just across the state line, about 2 hours from Boise.
Agreed. Made one hunt near Owyhee last year and limited out. And if you hunt Oregon, I would suggest the Malheur river and it's tributaries and their tributaries. Elk hunted over there this year and bumped 6 coveys on the road. Seems to be a good bird population this year. Might make it back in the next weekend or two. Send a pm, and I would be happy to help.

I did, neglected to take any pics. Hunted a day and a half. Jumped four coveys the first day, one the second. Coveys were fairly good size but obviously spread out. We will make one more trip I think.

prongbuck

FNG
I remember when i went for hunting trip to Owyhee last winter a Burrowing owl appeared near my camp. It has really weird sound, I have never heard anything like that. I searched on the internet who it could be but unfortunately, I didn't find any useful information. My friend strives to find it and understand what kind of bird is this. But, we hear it just at night. Maybe while the day long she flies away or probably it sleeps, honestly, I do not know. Finally, i put some seeds which i bought from https://www.kennedywildbirdfood.co.uk/bird-food/suet-bird-food/ to feed it and in few days it became so friendly with me and i decided to keep it. I really recommend you to go there, it’s really nice area.
I may not be interpretting your post correctly. Did you take the owl home? If so your are in violation of multiple laws. Burrowing owls are a protected species and the general public is not allowed to posses them. FYI.