Bishop Archery Broadhead Test--Wow!!!

Some of you may remember Bishop Archery going on AT recently and touting their new broadheads: The "Dicing Drill" and the "Scientific Method." Unique names. You can do a search there and find those threads with some pretty amazing and somewhat confusing (at least to me) claims.

They had a random drawing and, low and behold, I won So I was sent a single Dicing Drill, in 125 grains. With my elk season sadly passed, I had a bit of time to run some tests on this head. I took a lot of video footage, which I will be editing and releasing as soon as I get a chance. In the meantime, I will share some impressions.

First, my overall observations. The head is a single bevel, two blade head. It has a cutting diameter of 1 1/8" and is .72" thick. It is sharpened at a 40 degree bevel on all sides, including the back edge and the tip. It has a very stout tanto tip that may look blunt, but is anything but. It is created by two single bevels converging, at a different angle than the main blade angle. It resembles a Helix in design, but is much stouter.

Beyond the thickness and the geometry, is the fact that this head is machined out of a sold piece of S7 Tool Steel. This steel has unique properties, not the least of which is its ability to be treated to a Rockwell Hardness of 58, without becoming brittle, as most steels would at that hardness. This is especially significant because it is a single bevel head. As you may know, single bevel heads rotate upon being forced through a medium. This rotation helps in three primary ways, as Dr Ashby and others have demonstrated: (1) It aids in bone splitting. Rather than just penetrating directly into a bone, it penetrates and rotates, prying the bone apart. (2) It twists hide, organs, and tissue around itself and thus often cuts more than a double bevel head would. You can compare it to a fork cutting spaghetti vs a fork twisting into spaghetti and then cutting it. You will cut more spaghetti with the twisting taking place. (3) It creates a circular wound channel that is more difficult to seal up than a single plane wound channel, thus aiding in blood loss.

But the inherent weakness of single bevel heads is there is so much pressure on the leading edge of the of the blade, that they are prone to chip or break. And there can be so much twisting pressure on the ferrule, they can shear off there.

This is where the S7 tool steel is supposed to make a huge difference. It is so hard and so durable and so resistant to chip or shear, that it eliminates the inherent weaknesses of the single bevel head. This, combined with the thickness of the Bishop heads, and the geometry which is supposedly superior to Ashby's designs, allows all the benefits of a true single bevel head with fewer of the weaknesses.

Now, on to my tests. I shot this one head with a .340 Axis arrow, with a total weight of 485 grains, through my Hoyt CS 30 bow at 73# and a 26.5" draw length. I shot it about 20 times with NO resharpening in between.

I shot it through cardboard and a pumpkin, to test the rotation. And I shot it through wood, tile, bone, meat, and steel to test the edge retention. In all, I shot it through the following:

120 layers of cardboard
1 pumpkin
6" of wood (plywood and boards)
1 large hog shoulder roast
1 large rib with meat, from a 750 lb boar
110 layers of laminate tile
10x through .22 gauge steel plate
10x into a Rhinehart 18:1

After all that, and NO resharpening in between, the head still spins true and show NO signs of wear. I can still shave my thumbnail with it. It doesn't shave my nail quite as easily as it did when I first shot it, but it definitely still shaves it.

As for the wound channel, it was impressive. The holes in the tiles toward the back of the stack were much larger than those of a three blade, 1 1/4" head that I shot next to it. The holes in the back of a 1/2" plywood were only slightly smaller than those of a three blade 1 1/4" head. The hole through the "innards" of the pumpkin were circular and not a slit, due to the rotating action. It was extremely difficult to get out of my Rhinehart, due to the rotation--I mean, really difficult. It typically rotated an extra 90 degrees after the initial penetration into the Rhinehart, which was always after it had already penetrated through whatever was in front of the Rhinehart.

Here are the pics of the head AFTER all that penetrating.

I did not test the long distance flight of the head yet. Honestly, by it's construction and geometry, I am sure it will fly well out of a tuned bow. But I will test it more in that arena in the future.

Note, this is NOT an inexpensive head. They are roughly $50 per head. Not for three, but per head. However, you are certainly getting what you pay for. If you don't lose it, I bet you would be killing critters with it for the rest of your life. It's up to you whether it's in your budget or not. I got this one free

I am planning a Cape Buffalo hunt in Mozambique in the future, I have no doubt, this head, or probably their heavier Scientific Method version, will be on the tip of my arrow at that time.

The video of my testing will be coming out soon.

Attachments

• Bishop Dicing Drill 1.jpg
    Bishop Dicing Drill 1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 178
  • Bishop Dicing Drill 2.jpg
    Bishop Dicing Drill 2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 152
  • Bishop Dicing Drill 3.jpg
    Bishop Dicing Drill 3.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 156
OP
Bowhuntr64
This sounds a whole lot more like an infomercial than a review.

Haha. Maybe so, but it is my honest review. I'm not getting anything from Bishop Archery for it...other than the free head that I won in the first place. I was really that impressed by the way the head performed; there was nothing I could critique about it...at least so far.

OP
Bowhuntr64
One interesting fact that I just learned from communicating with Bishop Archery is that their Dicing Drill head spin cuts between 1.8 and 4.2 times more readily and effectively than any other Single Bevel head on the market today. It cuts spin cuts 2 times more than a Helix/KudoPoint and about 4 times more than an Abowyer, Cutthroat, or Alaska Bowhunting Supply.

I know the price point is not for everyone, but it is always intriguing for me to see such advances in broadhead design and construction.

OP
Bowhuntr64
This has turned into a infomercial.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well why don't you do a thorough video test of a head that performs really well and figure out a way to not make it look like an infomercial. I do similar tests on many heads, like the Exodus and the A-TAC. I like to tout things that are top performers. I think that's part of what these forums are all about.

MattB

WKR
I bought a 3 pack of the lower priced heads to play with (only ~$25 each ;-), and may try to shoot a deer with them on Kodiak next month if the opportunity arises. They definitely twist through my Rinehart as mentioned above. They should be one tough little head.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
One interesting fact that I just learned from communicating with Bishop Archery is that their Dicing Drill head spin cuts between 1.8 and 4.2 times more readily and effectively than any other Single Bevel head on the market today. It cuts spin cuts 2 times more than a Helix/KudoPoint and about 4 times more than an Abowyer, Cutthroat, or Alaska Bowhunting Supply.

I know the price point is not for everyone, but it is always intriguing for me to see such advances in broadhead design and construction.
This isn't your review it's what they told you. You love them I get it use what gives you confidence and continue to enjoy. Touting them as the greatest thing since sliced bread makes you come off as a salesman. They are lucky you won a free head

OP
Bowhuntr64
This isn't your review it's what they told you. You love them I get it use what gives you confidence and continue to enjoy. Touting them as the greatest thing since sliced bread makes you come off as a salesman. They are lucky you won a free head

True. That is what they told me. But the rest, and bulk of my test is what I experienced. Why be so critical of it? If anyone writes a review about anything here, some of what they say is going to be what they were told by the manufacturer. Then their test either backs it up or doesn't.

Why don't you go spend a few hours reviewing something, and I'll find a way to tear it down.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm sorry you took this as a personal attack I did not intend to do that. Send me the head I'll review it

DEW0341

WKR
The guy takes time and writes something about a product, if you don't like it why don't you just keep scrolling on by to the next topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buzzy

WKR
Bowhunter64,
How would you compare it to the Helix broadheads? Not sure if you have looked at the Helix but this sounds a lot like them. I shoot the Helix and haven't killed anything with them yet but would love to hear any comparisons you may have conducted. Love the review. Thanks

OP
Bowhuntr64
Bowhunter64,
How would you compare it to the Helix broadheads? Not sure if you have looked at the Helix but this sounds a lot like them. I shoot the Helix and haven't killed anything with them yet but would love to hear any comparisons you may have conducted. Love the review. Thanks

Well, the Helix are fantastic heads. I have tested them quite a bit. There are some similarities in the Dicing Drill and the Helix...but there are plenty of differences as well. The primary differences are the quality of the steel of the Bishop--much, much different, and the Tanto tip, and the overall geometry. The Bishop is stronger, thicker, holds an edge much better, and spins almost twice as readily upon contact with a medium. I have shot both into my Rhinehart and can see the difference in rotation.