Bitten by the 8x32 bug… Thoughts?

Suggestions

• Total voters
OP
ZackP

ZackP

WKR
I’m a big fan of the 8x32. I used 8x32 EL SV for years and don’t feel that I missed anything. They worked great for the area I hunt with thick cover and was still able to judge legal bulls around 700-800 yards even at last light.

I really liked the Meostar, but the ergonomics weren’t my favorite. They perform well above their price point.

The new Geovid 8x32 may be interesting. I’m holding out for a Noctivid 8x32.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Geovid Pro has caught my attention. I need to make sure I like an 8x32 in my set up though before I add a rangefinder and drop that kind of coin.

If all else fails with whatever I choose, I suppose my wife could end up using either/or over her C1 Mavens. She did choose the C1’s over my old Razor’s though, in a matter of minutes no less 😂

Blue72

WKR
Try a maven 6x30, Leica 7x35, Kowa 6.5x32….the extra exit pupil is more comfortable and brighter for low light condition. Plus they are very stable hen your heart rate is up or it’s windy outside

I've used Leica Ultravid (pre-HD) for over 15 yrs for 1/2 ,y bino use in the field. The other half is Swaro EL 10x42, first pre-Swarovision and last 10 yrs a pari with SV. I like having both around. I also have a pair a of Leica Geovid 15x56 HDs that live set up on a big tripod for glassing around then house, out of the truck, quad or RZR, but never get carried. My Swaro ATM 20-60x65HD gets carried a fair bit.

I like being able to choose glass like boots, coats, pants, etc.

I doubt you’ll regret going to 8x32, if you can find a set of used Swarovski EL 8x32 I’d go that route.

eoperator

WKR
I have came to the conclusion that luck is the only reason my wife spots more game with her handheld maven 8x30's than I do with my nl12's on a tripod.

OP
ZackP

ZackP

WKR
I doubt you’ll regret going to 8x32, if you can find a set of used Swarovski EL 8x32 I’d go that route.

I’ve been looking here and there for awhile, then the 8.5x42 pops up.

I’m torn to say the least on which route to go.
I have came to the conclusion that luck is the only reason my wife spots more game with her handheld maven 8x30's than I do with my nl12's on a tripod.

Maybe 😂
I might just to have to demo a set.

bigbuckdj

WKR
The Geovid Pro has caught my attention. I need to make sure I like an 8x32 in my set up though before I add a rangefinder and drop that kind of coin.

If all else fails with whatever I choose, I suppose my wife could end up using either/or over her C1 Mavens. She did choose the C1’s over my old Razor’s though, in a matter of minutes no less

To muddy the water here a little. I don’t need all the ballistic stuff the geopro offers, I’m waiting on the new 8x32 gpo rangeguides to possibly replace my handheld and B3s

I have been carrying the original MHG, the Nikon Venturer LX, in 8x32 and they are fantastic. I've owned newer glass, Razors, Viper HD (given to my son) and have been shopping for a 10x but keep going back to these 15 year old beauties. Small, light, crisp and amazing FOV.
Just easy on the eyes.
The FOV is addictive...You will not want to go back.

tdhanses

WKR
To muddy the water here a little. I don’t need all the ballistic stuff the geopro offers, I’m waiting on the new 8x32 gpo rangeguides to possibly replace my handheld and B3s

I’ve been thinking they may be perfect for archery and muzzle loader, no need for ballistics during these seasons and just use my geovid hdb’s in 10x42 for rifle stuff.

bigbuckdj

WKR
I’ve been thinking they may be perfect for archery and muzzle loader, no need for ballistics during these seasons and just use my geovid hdb’s in 10x42 for rifle stuff.

Same, I have a 2800.com for ballistics if I need them. I can’t wait to get a pair

Hoodie

WKR
Another vote for the 8x42 MHG. It's like 23 oz. Pretty much what most alpha 8x32s weigh. Still has a big FOV.

If you really want to go light you can look at the 8x30 MHG.

The biggest issue for me with 8x32/8x30 is they tend to have glare problems. Even models from Swarovski. Larger exit pupil of the 8x42 makes it less of a problem.

Kostrize

WKR
Do any of you guys have experience with both the MHG 8X30 and the Kowa Genesis 8X33? Reviews I’ve read give some glass edge to the Kowa. Seem like the two best alpha minus options in this size category

Q child

WKR
If you like the Monarch 42 and want smaller and lighter, go with the Monarch 30. Easy peasy. The 30s weigh like one pound. I've looked through the 10s before, they are sweet. Dainty little things.

OP
ZackP

ZackP

WKR
I’m still struggling with this one.
After thinking on it a bit, I just don’t know if I can go down to a 32. Especially with the MHG only being a few oz heavier than most 32’s.

I’m also contemplating trying the Conquest again, as it’s highly regarded on Birdforum, more so than even the 42.

tdhanses

WKR
After thinking on it a bit, I just don’t know if I can go down to a 32. Especially with the MHG only being a few oz heavier than most 32’s.

I’m also contemplating trying the Conquest again, as it’s highly regarded on Birdforum, more so than even the 42.
The conquest 8x32 I had was great, it was better then the 8x42 I also had.

Q child

WKR

Fair enough. I use 7x42s and 10x42s most of the time.
I really like Nikons and have owned a pair of 8x42 Monarch 7s for years. I've never tried the MHG 42s though.
I've only used the 10x42 Conquests, but I wouldn't hesitate to get a pair of 32s if that is what I was in the market for. Very good at a competitive price. Robust construction and great optics.
There are a lot of great 8x32/30 options for $1000. It's kind of the sweet spot as far as competitiveness. There are only three companies that can credibly charge over $2000 for 8x32s. But there are a lot that can charge $1000.

OP
ZackP

ZackP

WKR
Fair enough. I use 7x42s and 10x42s most of the time.
I really like Nikons and have owned a pair of 8x42 Monarch 7s for years. I've never tried the MHG 42s though.
I've only used the 10x42 Conquests, but I wouldn't hesitate to get a pair of 32s if that is what I was in the market for. Very good at a competitive price. Robust construction and great optics.
There are a lot of great 8x32/30 options for $1000. It's kind of the sweet spot as far as competitiveness. There are only three companies that can credibly charge over $2000 for 8x32s. But there are a lot that can charge $1000.

I wouldn’t mind trying the 32, simply because their discount program brings them low enough to try without taking a loss, or not much of a loss. $1000 is definitely a cap for me on a 32.

I’ll keep the thread updated as I go along 🤣

I have the MHG 8x42 and it is my go-to woods and timber glass. It truly handles like a 32mm glass with an easier overall view. The FOV is massive. It has field flatteners - not as flat as an EL, but noticeably flatter than most. For me, the package just works very well.

I own a Zeiss FL 8x32 and have considerable time with the 8x32 Conquest. They are both fantastic 32m binoculars. The FL definitively handles better but the optics are very close. IMO, the 8x32 is the cherry of the Conquest line. If going with a 32mm that is what I would recommend. Still slightly prefer the 8x42 MHG overall, but wouldn’t feel put off if handed the Conquest.

ETtikka

WKR
The nl pure 8x32 is best described by having the wow factor and huge FOV compared to other 8x32 I have tried (conquest hd and meopro hd). I have a pair that I’m afraid to use and get dirty. I will be listing for sale on here when I return from a trip if anyone is interested.