Bitter Cold Booties

treillw

WKR
Any suggestions on an overboot that can be carried 15 miles in a day and used at glassing locations to help with -10 degree temps plus 20 mph winds?

Looking for something that is lightweight. It would also be nice to be able to walk 50 yards back and forth on a ridgeline while wearing them.

Dunno if anything like this exists.

Thanks!

*zap*

WKR
Western Mountaineering down booties with an outdoor research or similar mountaineering overboot over them. Just size them correctly.

*zap*

WKR
I got these gor-tex overboots on ebay a few years ago, they are marked 'medium' but fit over my size 11 running shoes or my down booties easily. I use them for camping when it is cold and/or muddy. Very lighweight.

IMG_5466.JPGIMG_5467.JPG

Last edited:
OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I'd like to avoid having to remove my hunting boot if at all possible. Elk pop up 800 yards away often and it's a mad dash.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I have both ice breakers and artic shields. While I wouldn't want to walk far in either, both could in theory hold up to at least some abuse. The artic shields aren't as warm, but are much smaller than the icebreakers. Ice breakers you would want to strap to your pack where the artic shields easily fit in any pack.

*zap*

WKR
I wore my arctic shields daily for about a week when it was very cold walking in/out on public when treestand hunting. The bottom of one tore a little but I fixed that and they are still very useable 9 years later. Icebreakers are much warmer.

Poser

WKR
I’ve been experimenting with the OR X Gaiters, which are a full coverage, insulated gaiter. If you combine that with some mountaineering socks and possibly a winter insole, I think you can go pretty far without resulting to insulated boots. Still testing this combination though.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
40 Below makes outstanding products that are intended to be worn while being active. They are overkill for what you need, and not exactly cheap. https://40below.com/

I'm not sure what your clothing system looks like (so forgive me if I'm telling you things you already know), but a down parka and might get you more millage. Many times (but not all the time) cold extremities are due to inadequate core insulation as the body clamps down to keep warm blood at your vital organs. Puffy pants can also help. I have had cold feet in double mountaineering boots due to inadequate core insulation (it was adequate until I laid down in the snow for 30 minuets).

For below 0 F, a VBL (vapor barrier layer) on your feet is also worth considering. You can try that out really cheap, just save two bread bags.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been experimenting with the OR X Gaiters, which are a full coverage, insulated gaiter. If you combine that with some mountaineering socks and possibly a winter insole, I think you can go pretty far without resulting to insulated boots. Still testing this combination though.
How is the fit on these? What size and model of boot do you have and what size gaiter fit them? Thanks

Poser

WKR
How is the fit on these? What size and model of boot do you have and what size gaiter fit them? Thanks

I’m a size 13 so I’m always XL. Ive used the Gaiters over a pair of Zamberlans. The gaiters are pretty adaptable in sizing with a good amount of vertical stretch. They are marketed as being an option for ski boots as well. I tried and tried to get the XLs to fit over my snowboard boots as well as a plastic pair of Koplach mountaineering boots and didn’t even come close to getting them on so I’d say size 13 hiking boots are maxed out for sizing.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a size 13 so I’m always XL. Ive used the Gaiters over a pair of Zamberlans. The gaiters are pretty adaptable in sizing with a good amount of vertical stretch. They are marketed as being an option for ski boots as well. I tried and tried to get the XLs to fit over my snowboard boots as well as a plastic pair of Koplach mountaineering boots and didn’t even come close to getting them on so I’d say size 13 hiking boots are maxed out for sizing.
Thanks - sounds like they may be iffy with my size 13 Lowa Tibet Superwarms. They are probably right in between a snowboard boot and a hiking boot.

TheCougar

WKR
I’m looking for the exact same thing. The icebreakers are HUGE and weigh about 2 pounds, per their website. I’ve looked at the down booties, but I’m not sure how durable they would be or how the down would manage the moisture on/in my boots. No idea how much the Arctic Shields weigh, but everyone says they are smaller and lighter, but not as warm as the Icebreaker.

Last edited:
Just went through this in CO 3rd season. Feathered friends down booties work great. Got down to single digits and my feet did fine. The other shell is removable so they can be used in a sleeping bag too. Not sure I would want to run and gun in them but glassing they work great.

cbrslider

FNG
I'm on my 3rd year with my artic shields. I really like them. They pack down good for my liking and with a hand warmer thrown in each sure make for a comfortable all day sit in a tree stand.