Bitteroot Valley, Montana

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
My girlfriend of three years and I are going to be moving to Stevi in December. I know there is definitely some people from the area on here, so I figured I would reach out and try to find some like minded people since I know nearly no one in the area.

Whats there for 3d archery ranges (outdoor) in the valley? Are there many upland bird opportunities in the valley? How is private land access (since the valley is mostly private)? What restaurants would you recommend? (we try to go for a weekly date night)

I don't really want to get into any specifics for hunting on open forum, but would certainly like to talk about it over PM.

A little about me, my name is Skyler and am currently finishing my masters in biological sciences (essentially wildlife and fish). I was originally wanting to become a biologist, but am unsure now. Only being 23, I am not too concerned that I don't know exactly what I want to do. I am from western Nebraska, have gone to school for several years here in South Dakota. I usually hunt around 50 days a year (most of these are half days after or before class), and hope to increase this in MT. Also, as a side note, I used to work near Augusta, MT on a mule deer project. Actually lived in the small cabin near the SE corner of the Sun River WMA. I really like it up there, so if anyone wants to converse about that area I would be happy to!

Last edited:

Mt Al

WKR
I don't know much about the area but have a friend who moved to the Bitterroot a year ago. All this is second hand: private land access sucks according to him. He's hoping for mountain grouse off the trails in the Forest Service. Not sure about archery ranges. Great restaurants from Missoula to Hamilton but names escape me, but you will find them. You picked a great place to move to IMHO.

OP
Skyhigh

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know much about the area but have a friend who moved to the Bitterroot a year ago. All this is second hand: private land access sucks according to him. He's hoping for mountain grouse off the trails in the Forest Service. Not sure about archery ranges. Great restaurants from Missoula to Hamilton but names escape me, but you will find them. You picked a great place to move to IMHO.

I was kinda figuring access wouldn't be great. Good thing I like driving I guess! From the few hikes I have done up there there is a ton of dusky grouse in the forests.

Last edited:

400orBust

FNG
I don't live there now but was raised there and all my family on both mine and my wife's side still live in the valley. I go back often. I think access is fine, yes lots of private up to the public but still lots of trailheads, fs roads, etc.
I'm not sure about archery ranges. Plenty of grouse in the hills and pheasants and quail in the valley, and ducks & geese in ponds and farm fields.
Private land access hit and miss, politeness goes a long ways.
As far as restaurants...Bitterroot brewing is awesome, I also like Spice of Life cafe in Hamilton. Kodiak Jaks for burgers and Finns Taphouse in Corvallis. Hope that helps!

My girlfriend of three years and I are going to be moving to Stevi in December. I know there is definitely some people from the area on here, so I figured I would reach out and try to find some like minded people since I know nearly no one in the area.

Whats there for 3d archery ranges (outdoor) in the valley? Are there many upland bird opportunities in the valley? How is private land access (since the valley is mostly private)? What restaurants would you recommend? (we try to go for a weekly date night)

I don't really want to get into any specifics for hunting on open forum, but would certainly like to talk about it over PM.

A little about me, my name is Skyler and am currently finishing my masters in biological sciences (essentially wildlife and fish). I was originally wanting to become a biologist, but am unsure now. Only being 23, I am not too concerned that I don't know exactly what I want to do. I am from western Nebraska, have gone to school for several years here in South Dakota. I usually hunt around 50 days a year (most of these are half days after or before class), and hope to increase this in MT. Also, as a side note, I used to work near Augusta, MT on a mule deer project. Actually lived in the small cabin near the SE corner of the Sun River WMA. I really like it up there, so if anyone wants to converse about that area I would be happy to!

Stevi is a nice little town. There’s a few restaurants and bars CJ’s Den is my favorite place to eat and Kodiak Jax is a local pizza place. There is also an Italian restaurant and new BBQ place that opened up haven’t tried their food yet. There are some great restaurants up and down the bitterroot valley. Two major grocery stores in town

I do not believe there is a 3D range in the valley anymore but Straight 6 has a indoor range that has membership access and their facility right along the highway

The valley is almost all private for hunting with some block management opportunities. Lee Mercalf is right down the road for waterfowl hunting. I do not hunt the valley and really don’t have any input for anything else besides that unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Skyhigh

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Stevi is a nice little town. There’s a few restaurants and bars CJ’s Den is my favorite place to eat and Kodiak Jax is a local pizza place. There is also an Italian restaurant and new BBQ place that opened up haven’t tried their food yet. There are some great restaurants up and down the bitterroot valley. Two major grocery stores in town

I do not believe there is a 3D range in the valley anymore but Straight 6 has a indoor range that has membership access and their facility right along the highway

The valley is almost all private for hunting with some block management opportunities. Lee Mercalf is right down the road for waterfowl hunting. I do not hunt the valley and really don’t have any input for anything else besides that unfortunately

Thanks for the information! Definitely helpful.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
Skyhigh

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
I don't live there now but was raised there and all my family on both mine and my wife's side still live in the valley. I go back often. I think access is fine, yes lots of private up to the public but still lots of trailheads, fs roads, etc.
I'm not sure about archery ranges. Plenty of grouse in the hills and pheasants and quail in the valley, and ducks & geese in ponds and farm fields.
Private land access hit and miss, politeness goes a long ways.
As far as restaurants...Bitterroot brewing is awesome, I also like Spice of Life cafe in Hamilton. Kodiak Jaks for burgers and Finns Taphouse in Corvallis. Hope that helps!
Sweet! Hopefully I can get some permission, but if not I'll definitely be traveling east to find some more upland opportunities!

Sweet! Hopefully I can get some permission, but if not I'll definitely be traveling east to find some more upland opportunities!

You can find some pheasant opportunities also around nine pipes south of Ronan but your best bet is definitely heading out east. You will be able to sneak away into the hills fairly easy for grouse there’s lots of access points and trailheads down the bitterroot valley in general

Wright406

WKR
Welcome, Im in Helena but am friends with the owner of Straight 6, great group of guys and awesome bow shop. Alot of public access around there.

It’s not but 2-3 miles off 93 in most places to get access to public trail heads. Where I’m from that’s considered really close.

OP
Skyhigh

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome, Im in Helena but am friends with the owner of Straight 6, great group of guys and awesome bow shop. Alot of public access around there.

I haven't met Casey personally yet, but I have been to his shop before! Definitely will be going back to it.

It’s not but 2-3 miles off 93 in most places to get access to public trail heads. Where I’m from that’s considered really close.

I agree, it is really close! Where I will be living is less than 2 miles from the NF boundary. However, from what I have seen most of the public ground nearby isn't great for upland hunting outside of forest grouse species, which is why I was inquiring about the potential for private land access. For elk and deer I will definitely be utilizing the public ground nearby!

jmh00043

FNG
I haven't met Casey personally yet, but I have been to his shop before! Definitely will be going back to it.

I agree, it is really close! Where I will be living is less than 2 miles from the NF boundary. However, from what I have seen most of the public ground nearby isn't great for upland hunting outside of forest grouse species, which is why I was inquiring about the potential for private land access. For elk and deer I will definitely be utilizing the public ground nearby!

I have a similar degree (Environmental Scientist) if you wanted to talk about jobs. I live across the US though. Currently work for the Army National Guard. Just let me know if you wanted to talk jobs, because something has to pay for hunting and fishing...

vaeVictis

FNG
Wife and I just moved to Hamilton in May. So far loving it here. Haven't found any archery ranges or 3D courses yet, but am planning on checking out the indoor range up in Stevi. Does anyone know if they have an indoor league?

OP
Skyhigh

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Wife and I just moved to Hamilton in May. So far loving it here. Haven't found any archery ranges or 3D courses yet, but am planning on checking out the indoor range up in Stevi. Does anyone know if they have an indoor league?
I am not 100% sure, but I am pretty sure the range and shop (straight 6 archery- Stevensville ) closed a few months ago. I follow them on social media and pretty sure I saw something about it.