Bivouac Backland Bow Review

GLB

WKR
I’ve had this bow for a few days now and did a quick setup to get started shooting. Right off the bat I had some arrows I made for another bow that shot very well. The group in the picture was from 20 yards that included a bare shaft and broad heads.

The bow has a 15” ILF riser and 23” short limbs for an overall length of 56”. You can get it up to an overall length of 62”. I asked Jim Belcher (bowyer) to set it up for 50lbs at my draw length and he was spot on. I also went with the old school camouflage limbs.

The standard grip is a low/Med and has a nice feel, even for this primary longbow shooter. It comes with an adjustable plunger that’s very low profiled that allows you to shoot off the shelf and has a locking nut inside the riser to keep it in place. It also has another threaded hole for an elevated rest.

Performance wise I would say that it’s moderate, not a speed demon but not a pig either. It is very forgiving, has perfect balance and mass weight is a little lighter than most metal riser bows and slightly heavier than most wood takedown bows.

I really wanted to try a ILF bow for it’s tune ability and to experiment with the possibly of changing my shooting style to gap shooting (maybe?). It’s setup now for split finger/instinctive and after a couple days I was able to shoot naturally as I have always done 30+ years. Gap shooting we’ll see??

Jim Belcher and the Bivouac Bow Company has been a pleasure to work with. They are friendly, very helpful and brings a lot of experience in building bows. I am very pleased so far with the Backland ILF bow and the Bivouac Bow Company.

Attachments

• E747F95A-0DDE-4CBF-842A-A1207B8B5F28.jpeg
    E747F95A-0DDE-4CBF-842A-A1207B8B5F28.jpeg
    595.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 68B839F5-FD51-4BDF-85D3-ABFBB2AC643E.jpeg
    68B839F5-FD51-4BDF-85D3-ABFBB2AC643E.jpeg
    649.7 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Looks great! I’ve been keeping my eyes peeled in the classified for one of those risers or a complete Backland with the longbow limbs

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
This bow is starting to grow on me. Groups are tightening up. Been shooting 1 each: bareshaft, broadhead, and fieldpoint to confirm tune Over last couple days at 20 yards.

Attachments

• B25321A8-DB23-41DA-B45C-92CD9B34B24A.jpeg
    B25321A8-DB23-41DA-B45C-92CD9B34B24A.jpeg
    679.4 KB · Views: 52

freshta

WKR
this bow is intriguing me. Can someone tell me if the button that comes with the bow is a plunger or just a center shot adjustment?

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
^^^ It’s a center shot adjustment, no spring or cushioning.

The 3 rivers DAS 15" riser is the same identical riser but with DAS limb fittings. DAS fittings are not as popular as they once were, but thought I'd add that here incase someone liked this riser but had DAS style limbs. The risers are made by Belcher I believe.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
I have some DAS ILF bamboo core longbow limbs coming to try with it as well.

I got to say that the metal riser, ILF thing was a bit of departure for me, but it’s really growing on me. So many options with this system and fairly inexpensive when comparing with custom wood bows.

Tartan

WKR
I have some DAS ILF bamboo core longbow limbs coming to try with it as well.

I got to say that the metal riser, ILF thing was a bit of departure for me, but it’s really growing on me. So many options with this system and fairly inexpensive when comparing with custom wood bows.

finally 3 rivers has those back in stock. I just snagged a set as well after seeing your post. I have a wf19 just sitting here limbless asking to be an ilf longbow.

I’m about 10 months in waiting for a set of dryad lbx limbs. I did talk to South before seasons started and was told my order was coming up “soon”. It took a while after he purchased it to get everything up and running again. Not worried as I’ve got other bows to shoot, but now that I ordered these I’m sure I’ll get the lbx anyday…