Bivy/ Backpack Hunting Mistakes/Advice

Gumbo

WKR
So I didn't read through all of the responses, but my biggest piece of advice is to go as minimal as possible, especially if you plan to hunt with camp on your back. You can't be prepared for every situation so don't try. Just be prepared for the weather you will encounter, water availability, and eliminate redundancies. Focus on hunting, not camping or comfort. I realized there is very little I truly need out there, and once I got the weight down by overcoming the anxiety of the "what I MIGHT need" thought process, I started having a lot more fun and success.

OP
George Hamrick

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
@George Hamrick

Close engagement with elk can be rare and shooting opportunities even more so. Hunting is organic, be flexible in your thinking. Even without being really far back, plan that you will absolutely be anywhere, any time and that you will be a little farther back than you think.

You can "plan" not to go too far back in, but that plan can and will fall apart fast and for any number of reasons. Then you have to make the hard choice to walk away from the only shootable herd you've seen in a week. You may quickly end up farther back than you planned as a "limit".

Unless I am hunting right out of my camp, I always carry a sleep system and an extra day of food. I'm glad to hear that you are planning for a night or two out, bring at least one extra full meal and snacks.

JL
That is definitely something I learned from my first trip is that nothing is a given. Might only get one chance in 10 days, so I want to be able to up my odds by sticking closer to the elk longer. Definitely seemed like nothing I planned really went as I imagined either lol. Trying to be as flexible as possible is one of my main focuses for my next trip.

Skull10

WKR
Also, once I started sleeping from my back everynight and just staying in until I ran out of food. I ended finding way more elk then I have ever seen before. I like the idea of putting elk to bed I couldn't quite reach then waking in there backyard and bugling at 5am. Worked wonders for me last season and I killed my first archery bull that way.
I am planning on hunting with camp on my back this year as well. I have made some serious equipment upgrades to shave weight and have taken items out of the pack that are not absolutely necessary.

What is your all in pack weight, including food for say 4 days, three nights and water? I'm at 42 lbs and can't seem to get much lighter.

Reactions: MJB
Tip = Always, always hang your bow in a tree during the night.
If you leave it on/near the ground, critters like to chew on strings & cables

Damn that’s a good thing to know. Would have never thought that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
I wonder how hard it would be to put a gps tracker in a pack and be able to locate it that way?

BradNSW

FNG
59 year old flatlander from San Diego. My MO is park the wife in a trailer at 6,500ft. Hike in with a 38-40lb pack for 6-7 days (no water but katadyne filter). Probably 10-15lbs on my body with bow, bear spray, knife, bino's, range finder. I set up camp on a ridge at 7,800-8000ft. Spend one day still hunting each drainage off that ridge, targeting water and possible bedding areas. If no sign after 4 days, hit another ridge 2-3 miles away. When I leave the ridge to hunt, my pack is 15-20lbs and will sustain me overnight in any weather (minimally - filter, rain gear and wool layer) and has all I need for a kill, quartering and first load back to the wife. Be prepared to come back to your spike camp and find it trashed. One year a moose attacked my tent. Few years later a bobcat or marmot trashed and collapsed the tent on a rainy day. Snowed that night...but managed to stay two more days in a wet bag and ripped up tent. After 6-7 days, back to wife, shower, resupply and relocate if sign/action is low. For 4 years I've had close (40yds or less) encounters with 5x5 to 6x7 bulls but have never let an arrow fly as the shot didn't materialize. I go in weighing 195lbs and usually come out two weeks later around 180 and full invigorated! Can't wait till SEPT!!

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
I have migrated to solely pack hunts for archery elk in September.
I agree with Poser, his is advice is solid. Base camp / spike camps always seemed like I was always retracing my tracks wasting a lot of energy and time.. I have refined my gear accordingly over the past 3 years to cut weight,
Being from Michigan I do a lot of E scouting to identify likely areas that should hold elk.

Are you going solo?

Please feel free to private message me regarding my gear.

OP
George Hamrick

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
I have migrated to solely pack hunts for archery elk in September.
I agree with Poser, his is advice is solid. Base camp / spike camps always seemed like I was always retracing my tracks wasting a lot of energy and time.. I have refined my gear accordingly over the past 3 years to cut weight,
Being from Michigan I do a lot of E scouting to identify likely areas that should hold elk.

Are you going solo?

Please feel free to private message me regarding my gear.
Just sent you a private message to discuss things.

ridgefire

WKR
I have never used a hammock while hunting but i have when camping and froze in the thing. Bivy sack and tarp is the way to go if the weather is supposed to be decent. If you buy a tent I would recommend getting a two man, the extra room is worth the weight penalty imo.

Scrappy

WKR
I appreciate the information. Pack and boots were definitely up there in my items not to skimp on. When you say to practice with 50 lbs in your pack, how are you going about doing that? Do you just throw dumbbells or sandbags in the pack, or do you just hike with the gear you plan on using?
I use a bag of pea gravel and one liter smart water bottles of water for training. If I need more water while out I have it as well as if I decide I want to lighten up the load just dump some water.

McCrackin

FNG
Take a look at the Seek Outside Silex tarp-tent, I just got one last week, I'm thinking it coupled with a Borah Gear bivi will be perfect. I got the nest for the Silex, but I like the idea of the bivi to keep the sleep system together, and I may use a small stove in the Silex and the nest won't work with a stove.

I appreciate the information. Pack and boots were definitely up there in my items not to skimp on. When you say to practice with 50 lbs in your pack, how are you going about doing that? Do you just throw dumbbells or sandbags in the pack, or do you just hike with the gear you plan on using?

If you dont want to pack all of your gear every time you train, a 50lb bag of mineral salt for cattle works well. Its a good size to spread the weight out and the bags are very durable.

Jimss

WKR
I didn't read all the posts but here goes:

1) Don't try a true "bivy" style hunt your first time out where you move each day and hunt with a pack on your back. Although it sounds good it is next to impossible to hunt this way effectively. I have around 35 years backpacking experience and it doesn't work for me! I can explain in detail if you send me a personal message.

2) Do a spike camp that you hunt from each day.

3) Most beginners biggest mistake is bringing too much stuff.

4) If you plan on doing much backpack hunting invest in the best backpack possible that has a frame capable of 100+ lbs and super bulky loads (6,000+ cu in). Kifaru and Stone Glacier get rave reviews.

5) Take 1 or 2 trial runs in the summer to scout plus figure out exactly what to bring and what to leave in the truck.

I like your idea of the setup of a floorless tent or a tarp. I had your thinking at the end of my last trip. Felt like I would’ve gotten one if so had been staying in the elk instead of hiking in and out 3 miles every morning and night just to get to the elk.

I am in a similar boat as you, as I will be going on my first elk hunting trip this September (Colorado). My plan is to bring a large tent and supplies for a truck camp, and also have a nice light system for 2-4 nights on the mountain away from the truck. That way we have a nice comfortable shelter back at the truck while we try and get on elk and if/when we do, I have the ability to get deeper and stay on the mountain. I have a fair amount of experience backpacking, otherwise I would not be as apt to invest my time and money in that route. There is a learning curve and you will spend more time messing with all your equipment, and drying out your gear from failed shelters/placement. I would strongly suggest spending a good deal of time perfecting your backpacking skills if you are considering that route. And dont go camping on bluebird 70* weekends, seek out the rain and cooler temps to perfect your shelter/gear. I don't mean to sound rude, but if you are asking for what to look for in a campsite, backpack hunting will be a large undertaking for you. Don't mean to discourage, just trying to help you make the most of your trip while being safe.

MJB

WKR
Sleep is huge so a comfy setup is a must for me.
I also bring running shoes for stalking, along with knee pads and gloves. Been on all fours to close that 70yds to 50yds.

Remember don't make eye contact don't look like a human and if your hiking into them before day light walk pass them and don't stop until you have passed them.

OP
George Hamrick

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
If you dont want to pack all of your gear every time you train, a 50lb bag of mineral salt for cattle works well. Its a good size to spread the weight out and the bags are very durable.

I ended up going with a 60 pound sandbag and taping it up. It’s worked out pretty well so far.

Beendare

WKR
Lots of great advice in this thread. I'd also reinforce the saying that sleep is a weapon.
Yeah sleep is a weapon, .... but lets clarify, its “good” sleep and maintaining energy.

You get good sleep at a comfortable base camp. Sure there are times when a spike camp is better.
I never hunt with all my stuff on my back. Its rough enough covering ground in the mtns at high elevation without the extra weight. A full backpack us wasted energy IMO.

A Bivy bag and tarp is a bad idea when there are quality tipi and Tarptents available that weigh the same or less.

bivy holds moisture in your bag and mice and stuff can be waking you up at night- bivy is a rookie move. Appologies to the bivy guys but a Tarptent at 2 1/2# is a no brainer.

its rare i have to go 8 miles to find elk. I dont mind wwalking a ciuple miles in the dark back to camp- its cooler and peaceful. Longer/ rougher spots might require a spike camp to conserve energy.

i dont care who you are, 14 days of early mornings and late evenings, Mountain hunting, meat packing , etc wears a guy down. admittedly im not a 30’s marathoner, but even over 60 i dont give up after a week.

——-

Last edited:
OP
George Hamrick

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
I am in a similar boat as you, as I will be going on my first elk hunting trip this September (Colorado). My plan is to bring a large tent and supplies for a truck camp, and also have a nice light system for 2-4 nights on the mountain away from the truck. That way we have a nice comfortable shelter back at the truck while we try and get on elk and if/when we do, I have the ability to get deeper and stay on the mountain. I have a fair amount of experience backpacking, otherwise I would not be as apt to invest my time and money in that route. There is a learning curve and you will spend more time messing with all your equipment, and drying out your gear from failed shelters/placement. I would strongly suggest spending a good deal of time perfecting your backpacking skills if you are considering that route. And dont go camping on bluebird 70* weekends, seek out the rain and cooler temps to perfect your shelter/gear. I don't mean to sound rude, but if you are asking for what to look for in a campsite, backpack hunting will be a large undertaking for you. Don't mean to discourage, just trying to help you make the most of your trip while being safe.

It sounds like we have very similar plans. I’m not too concerned with it being too big of an undertaking. I’ve been in the area for an elk hunt before, so I have a good idea of what I’ll be facing. I just slept out in the woods two nights on my last trip with no sleeping gear or shelter. Based on this, I’m sure anything I take will be an upgrade. I just wanted to see what some people mistakes were from experience so that I wouldn’t make the same mistakes when I bought some gear this summer. I’m sure I’ll make some mistakes, but it’s my best option for getting on elk in the area. Good luck on your first elk hunt this fall!

Poser

WKR
Yeah sleep is a weapon, .... but lets clarify, its “good” sleep. You get good sleep at a comfortable base camp. Sure there are times when a spike camp is better.
I never hunt with all my stuff on my back. Its rough enough covering ground in the mtns at high elevation without the extra weight. A full backpack us wasted energy IMO.

A Bivy bag and tarp is a bad idea when there are quality tipi and Tarptents available that weigh the same or less.

bivy holds moisture in your bag and mice and stuff can be waking you up at night- bivy is a rookie move. Appologies to the bivy guys but a Tarptent at 2 1/2# is a no brainer.

its rare i have to go 8 miles to find elk. I dont mind wwalking a ciuple miles in the dark back to camp- its cooler and peaceful. Longer/ rougher spots might require a spike camp to conserve energy.

i dont care who you are, 14 days of early mornings and late evenings, Mountain hunting, meat packing , etc wears a guy down. admittedly im not a 30’s marathoner, but even over 60 i dont give up after a week.

——-

A bivy is only a “rookie” move if a person is a rookie. IMO, a bivy is an option for the highly experienced individual, once you’ve worked your way through tents, floorless shelters etc, are comfortable using them and sleeping in them and continue on a path to find lighter, more versatile options. For me, at this point, a 2.5 pound tarp tent seems like a ridiculous amount of bulk and weight for anything before November. I use a 5.5 oz bivy sack and a 8 oz tarp. Come November, I have the option to use a hot tent set up. I sleep as comfortably in this setup as I would in a 2.5# tarp tent. That being said, The progression from sleeping in full tents to a partial tarp was years in the making, experimenting with a lot of different set ups, camping in different settings, including above tree line, as well as for different purposes from hunting, to bike touring, to backcountry skiing. Where I hunt elk in the fall, a camping spot is often little more than a mule deer bed, and anything larger just won’t fit with the exception of a hammock option, which my partner uses.

If ain’t for everyone, but depending on a variety of factors, it can be the best option if you can get there.

Jimss

WKR
As mentioned above floorless are just as light with more room than a bivy. I can't imagine being in rain for several days in a row and locked up in a bivy as my only shelter. What do you do with your backpack and other gear when it's raining? It will all likely gradually get soaked. How about changing clothes and putting your boots on? How do you keep your boots dry or dry boots and other clothes out? How about cooking in the rain? Just some considerations if using a bivy.

One of the best things I ever did was use the fly off my 4 season Hilliberg tent on early season hunts. There is gobs of room, it is literally bomberproof, and only weighs a couple pounds. Sometimes I bring painters plastic for floor which is a couple more ounces. When weather is horrible I have the option of using the fly plus interior tent. If there is lots of snow I can add a footprint.